Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in Kansas with a broken hip

Unhappy Stuck in Kansas with a broken hip

Hello, my name is Thomas Watson. This is not my account but my father's. Um... I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this, but my father, his name is Jackie Watson, most likely wont be making it to the 2009 rally. On the way to the rally he had an accident. On the route he was taking there was a turn that he took must have took to sharply, he turned into a length or gravel on the side of the road. The bike tipped over and he is now in the hospital, about to go into surgery for a hip replacement. Anyways, I know it isn't really anyones business, but if possible, it would be great if anyone who knows my father or anyone who may be concerned could drop in and pay him a visit on the way to or from the rally, even just sending him an email would be great. I'm sure it would cheer him up, becuase there's a good chance he won't be able to ride anymore. Here is some contact information for those who are concerned;

Hospital name: Stormmont Vail
    Address: 1500 SW 10th Avenue, Topeka, KA 66604
    hospital P#: 785 354 6000
    room#: 724
    Dad's email: watson.jackie@comcast.net

I would also plead for assistence with a few details, such as informing rally managers that Dad wont be making it to the rally and whatnot, since I'm a bit new to this site, and a bit worried

Low speed, high drag
    Thomas-

Please pass on my best wishes to your father. I've never met him, but who knows- maybe this was supposed to be the year!

I dropped him an email, because it's what I can do at this time.

I wish him the best of luck with his surgery and recovery.

-Howie

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    Thomas, thank you for stopping by to let us know the news. Don't you worry about notifying anyone at the rally. Many folks register but don't show for a variety of reasons.

So sorry to hear of your dad's misfortune. I'm sure he'll receive many well wishes when people see this. Many people are already en route to the rally, like your dad was, so they may not see this message until they get home.

Updates on your dad's condition would be welcome.

Take Care,
    Gail Hatch
    MOA Director
    Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Hello Thomas,

I sent a longish e-mail - I have been through this myself and there are some things you can do to make things go much smoother. I included a phone number, feel free to call any time.

Ted
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Sorry to hear the bad news about your dad - my wishes on a fast and complete recovery.

Luis
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Sorry to hear this

How long is he to be in the hospital and can I help with storing his bike? I have a trailer and space for his bike Just north of Topeka. I will stop and see him in the next few days. RT
    R and R

Just went to the hospital to see your dad he had just gone to surgery. I will go back tomorrow and see if he is able to take visitors.

Thomas please PM me or email me at Thompson_1234@msn.com (there is an underscore between Thompson and 1234) if I can be of any help to you here.

Iam only a few miles from the hospital.

RT.
    R and R

Best wishes to your Dad. There are five of us, including two children, leaving for the rally tomorrow. We all signed a card to send tomorrow. Please don't hesitate to let other riders in the area provide you with help as you need it.

Mark
    Mark Austin
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    Knights of the Roundel

Not only are best wishes included for your dad, and my prayers are with him and you, but thanks for posting this and letting us respond.......

The outpouring of total strangers gives me renewed faith in the human race. Fantastic....

BTW, tell your Dad that I have a number of folks in my club with bionic hips, knees and various other body parts, and they are still riding. One of our members is on his second set of hips and has had both knees replaced and he just returned from a 27 day trip to Mexico, camping all the way.......and he rides a sport bike!

Best of luck...............
    RoyB....
    2007 BMW K1200R Sport (abs),2007 Suzuki dl650 V Strom (abs),2004 Honda VFR (abs),1972 Honda Trail 90,
    2001 Moto Guzzi V-11 Rosso Mandello

BMWMJ
    Thomas, so sorry to hear of your dad's misfortune. I'm a long way from KS to be of any assistance to you all, but I can tell you that I have had to request a refund from the MOA when my dad had a stroke two days prior to us all leaving for the rally two years ago. Wait until about a week after the rally when all the office staff is back & work and they should be happy to issue him a refund if he calls. Best of luck to him with his surgery.

Thomas;

Sorry to hear about your father' s misfortune. I will send him a e-mail to help along his recovery!!

On another note, if your father was planning on moteling (is this a word??) at the rally, he may have non refundable reservations that another member attending the rally could possibly use and reimburse him for. If so, post the location here.

Hope everything works out. Please post updates as you get time, and do not be afraid to ask for assistance from the members. You will be suprised at how much help is out there form this fantastic group!!

Mike

You're a good son. Thank you for sharing the info.
    Hang in there!

PATDAYE
    Tom...Pat & Robyn here. We just tried to contact Jackie at the hospital and he was resting. Please, if you can call us 816-206-9785 and let us know how he is doing. Do you know how long he will be there? Are they going to fly him home? We are in North Carolina now but as soon as we get home, and if he is still there we will definately go see him. Are you or your mom going to Topeka? Please, please let us know if there is anything we can do for you or the family!!!

From MARS
    Tom, I'm about 80 miles from Topeka. If there is anyway I can help you, PM me. I'm sure your Dad is in good hands; what about his bike?

Tom

Jack says Hi.....

Ok stopped to see Jack today what a nice guy!! When I walked in the room therapy had him using a walker to exercise his hip the going is understandably tough.

Jack sat in a chair while I explained who I was and how I had come to know he was there. He had heard that his son had posted a report in the BMWMOA but had yet to see it as his laptop was in security (guess hospital was afraid some one would walk off with it) Jack is very anxious to see the site.

Jack said he had been on I 70 and had just turned off to a state highway thought he would head for Emporia to spend the night. He said he had just crested a small hill when the road made a sudden turn that he failed to make. Said he went strait off the road into a rather deep ditch hit large rocks and a tree. He said the front end is heavily damaged and that one jug was just about torn off. Thinks itÔÇÖs totaled.

Now the good news we should make Jack Poster Boy for ATGATT not a scratch on the guy! If it wasnÔÇÖt for that hip Jack would be at the rally. Maybe with a totaled bike in the back of a U haul truck but he would be there!!

The one thing I learned about Jack was that he love the National rallys He thinks maybe he might give up motorcycles but said he would sure miss the rallies. Although he said maybe he would get a /5 or something to tinker with and ride around the block. Me thinks an ember still burns in that motorcycle heart.

As luck would have it I left Jacks room only to be called by my wife to meet her at ER in the same hospital Long story short 5hrs 45 min later she was admitted with sever back pains. The reason for this late report. Can double up on the visits now.

RT
    R and R