Thread: Need airhead mechanic

murphychuck

Need airhead mechanic

Hi,I live in Murphy,NC and just bought a 1983R100RT and I need some help with the bing carbs. Does anyone know of a mechanic in the tri-state area that I can use? I'm in far western NC and am looking for one in the NC/GA/TN area.
    Last edited by murphychuck; 07-11-2009 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Location update.

Bill Burke
    Anton would be my choice.

http://www.largiader.com/shop/

Murphy - Welcome to the Forum - for better visibility I am moving your post to the Air Head Forum.

Please check out the other various forums.

Luis
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Gonna move this to Airheads where it will get more attention.

By the way, welcome!
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

If it sorta runs..why not ride it to the National this week and head for Airhead Central.

Plenty of expertise and opinions..as well as parts from Bing so you can have a real ride home I've seen and done everything from changing out rod bearings, fork seals, all kinds of head torquing and valve adjustments...and carb rebuilds done in the tent.
    Greg Hutchinson
    R80G/S (4) 633CSi with 450K mile
    '68 R60/2 '88 K100RS Special Edition
    http://gregsgssite.shutterfly.com/

murphychuck
    I just bought this beemer on e-bay and had it shipped from WI. The previous owner installed Mikuni's in a rather unorthadox way and as I started it,it backfired and blew the left carb off the bike.Needless to say,it was really MMed.I can rebuild the Bings,but I'm not sure of how to re-attach the old cables. I also had the windshield broken in transit I need someone local to help me balance the Bings and hookup the cables.

Give Nathan a shout at Boxerworks, in Watkinsville, Ga.
    Nose

Mikunis?? Is the engine dual plugged? Mukunis work fine if you don't regularly ride in the mountains..can't handle the change in altitude as well as CV Bings.

You should also check with the last 7 digits of your VIN to see if your bike takes 32 or 40 mm bings. If you're switching back to Bings, you'll also need the appropriate plastic horns that go between the carb and air box. Different for 32 and 40 mm models. Do you still have choke cables? Depending on what you have left from the stock carb set up, you should probably should order all 6 carb and choke cables, and the splitters - and start clean.

Carb getting blown off is usually a sign of the timing being slightly off. Single plug..S mark in the middle of the hole,,dual plugged, the "S" should be at the bottom.

ps: I'm in Greensboro heading out for the National around lunchtime Tues. are you coming to the National?
    Greg Hutchinson
    R80G/S (4) 633CSi with 450K mile
    '68 R60/2 '88 K100RS Special Edition
    http://gregsgssite.shutterfly.com/

murphychuck
    Greg,Thanks for your input! I have the 40mm Bings as well as all the old cables. I am going to rebuild them myself,but I'm not sure as to the correct way to attach all the cables. I want to replace all the old rubber connectors and install fuel line filters,but I don't know of any BMW dealer nearby. The closest is Blue Moon in Norgross,GA as far as I know!The Mikuni's will be for sale shortly,because they restrict my feet on my gear and brake levers. Thanks!

murphychuck

Airhead mechanic found!

I found a beemer mechanic in Elijay,Ga., Apex Cycles. I met a couple on 2 old beemers who suggested that I call Wes Burton at Apex,which I did and now I can rest easy while enjoying riding in the mountains around Murphy.I will have 2 Mikuni's for sale shortly. They are like new,with less than 500 miles on them.

Red1974

mikunis

drop me an e-mailwhen you,re ready to sell the Mikunis. Thanks Red1974