Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: This should be Fun!!

Geraldine

Cool This should be Fun!!

Hi all,

My husband has an old BMW sitting on the side of our house. When we met he was
    riding this bike. I want to restore it and need help. It is, and I may be wrong, a R/75 cafe racer with a Hydric tank is what I remember him saying. His 60th birthday is in january. I need to find a restoration place near San Jose, CA. Wish me Luck!

Sounds fun! I'd check with Ted Porter at http://www.beemershop.com north of you and see what he suggests. He works on Airheads, but not sure what kind of "restoration" you're after, but Ted can certainly get the bike running as good as new.
    Kurt -- Forum Administrator ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldine View Post
    Hi all,

My husband has an old BMW .... with a Hydric (Heinrich?) tank .....
    If you have that big Heinrich tank, the bike might be quite an item!!

Good luck.

Ted Porter would probably be the closest and best opportunity since he is located in Scotts Valley. Also Dave Gardner at Recommended Service in San Francisco would be a good second choice, but he's farther from you. Dave's a little eccentric though, but he does good work at a reasonable price.

As 20774, I would think about what type of restoration you would like to perform. I know you would prefer to have his bike repaired/restored, but it may not be cost effective, so I would keep that in the back of your mind. If the bike wasn't stored properly it may cost more to repair than it would be to get a running bike. I would suggest whoever you chose to get the bike running again is to have them go over the entire bike to determine its condition before much $$ is spent on restoration.

Anyway, I wish you luck, and don't hesitate to ask future questions during the restoration phase.
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

Rally Rat
    Geraldine.... any chance of a coupla pics?

And, just a thought, be very careful of what is involved with the "restoration", i.e. changing etc... some guys can be very emotionally attached to what they got, and like it that way..... know what I mean.....? ?

If it is indeed a Heinrich tank, "just sitting at the side of the house"... yowza

BUBBAZANETTI
    pics pics pics!!!

and i'll gladly trade you that porky old Heinrich tank for a much more attractive and svelte standard R80ST tank.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    I know a guy who traded a shiny 4 gal tank for one of those ugly Heinrich tanks.
    The tank is probably worth more than the bike...
    Must have been a long distance from Cafe' to Cafe'
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Geraldine

This is all I know....

I know it needs brakes. It has been sitting outside , sometimes uncovered, for 12 years.
    I know he loves it and is upset that it looks like it does. That is what gave me the idea. I would love to take it back to the way it was. So I want to restore the seat. It will need to be repainted. The tank is large, I think it holds 8 gal. This is about all I know, not much but I will call the guy anyway. Now I have to figure out how to get it to the repair place. Thanks

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    I wonder if Chip Foose would be up to the challenge?
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

Talking w apologies

sorry to be the voice of negativity here, but you're aware that it'll be an expensive task, right? It might range anywhere from "expensive" to "holy crap! you're kidding me right?! Please tell me you're kidding me."

But if he loves you now, he'll walk thru fire and eat bugs for you after!
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?

shire2000
    What is expensive to one is a small pittance to another.
    And if I am reading between the lines correctly, you cannot put a price on that kind of love.

Go for it Geraldine.

12 years;

Outside in San Jose, left unattended is a real mess, I figure. BMWs are tough customers, however and it can run again, but. You WILL spend a lot, getting r done. Find a DRY climate, like the San Juaquin Valley, take it apart, clean r up and lets see. Truck it to me in CLOVIS. Its dry here, hot and I may have time to make her go again. That 12 years worries me, outside and the gas tank! I have one too. Very nice, expensive tanks. ME, I would get the bike just running first and see where it leads. That alone can be enough money to choke on$$$....Best wishes, Randy.....Est; 2000$ to "start" the project of a safe runner only, tires,bearings and all else. Not pretty, just a runner....Happy Trails

If your husband likes to go out and tinker withe mechanical things, then I would suggest getting the bike running only. That way he can have the fun doing the cosmetics on the bike.
    Jeff in W.C.

Geraldine

Well, you have given something to think about

Eykes! $2000

I agree that I should just get it running. It was started not long ago and I think
    the tank was empty. Thanks all for telling me about the tank. I thought that it
    was something special.I will try to sneak a picture off his computer. As you all
    know, this is new to me. Thanks for all the help. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Geraldine View Post
    Eykes! $2000
    Out of curiosity, what were they going to do for the $2,000?
    Jeff in W.C.