Thread: Tennessee Red Light Law for Motorcycles

Tennessee Red Light Law for Motorcycles

FYI for those traveling to/through Tennessee for the rally. We have a 'red light law' here in Tennessee for those traffic signals that are activated by in-pavement devices. See below. Note that the absence of such a device is not a defense for running a light.

T.C.A. 55-8-110
    .(b) Notwithstanding any provision of law to the contrary, the driver of a motorcycle approaching an intersection that is controlled by a traffic-control signal utilizing a vehicle detection device that is inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care as provided by law, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so. It is not a defense to a violation of ?ยบ 55-8-109 that the driver of a motorcycle proceeded under the belief that a traffic-control signal utilized a vehicle detection device or was inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle when such signal did not utilize a vehicle detection device or that any such device was not in fact inoperative due to the size of the motorcycle
    2002 BMW R1150R, Black - SOLD

cheesewhiz
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Can we put together a reference list of other states know to do this as well?

BMRDAVE
    BMRDave

READ carefully!

That Tenn law has an OUT as big as Texas, for any officer "to" write you a ticket, imo....And, do you have time to fight it??? Randy

cheesewhiz
    Quote Originally Posted by coon View Post
    Thanks coon!

Now, whoever lives in a state that is NOT on the list (There's only 43 of 'em) get to writtin' someone about adopting this policy.

It's called being pro-active

BTW, I hope lane splitting is legal there as well (see pic w/article)

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    That Tenn law has an OUT as big as Texas, for any officer "to" write you a ticket, imo....And, do you have time to fight it??? Randy
    I took advantage of that law several times in Tennessee, (Chattanooga) a few times with an officer parked within view of the intersection.... the key is :
    shall come to a full and complete stop at the intersection and, after exercising due care as provided by law, may proceed with due caution when it is safe to do so.

I plant both feet on the pavement for a few seconds and usually flip my four way flashers on as I proceed thru the intersection. At couple of those intersections, you can wait "til the cows come home" before you get a signal change.
    2011 R1200 GSA (My Radio Flyer)
    75 R90/6 with Velorex sidecar

" Oh Lord I pray, Let me live long enough to do everything they say I've done"

SC has a new law...

I dont have the legaleze but...

If after 2 minutes of sitting at a red light it doesnt change, you may proceed WHEN SAFE.
    Chris
    2002 R1150R ABS, Black, 20,000+ Miles
    Life is a Game. Play to win.