Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice on trip through Michigan

Cool Seeking advice on trip through Michigan

I'm planning a road trip with my son in a few weeks - my first major run on the K13GT. We'll be coming into Michigan from Sault Ste Marie, heading south and back to Ontario. Looks to me like the Lake Michigan side would be more interesting to travel along than the Lake Huron side. Does anybody have any opinions about either side?
    Thanks,
    Matt

ABC,AMA(LIFE),MOA,RA,IBMW MANICMECHANIC's Avatar
    Well, if you do decide to go on the Wisconsin side, and it's after the rallies, drop me a line and maybe we can get together for a bit. There are a lot of nice roads around here.
    F.O.G.Rider, Rounder #6,
    Ambassador, Biergarten co-chair
    BMWRA Wisconsin Region Rep, camping chair

eaganj346
    The Lake Michigan side is more scenic. The Lake Huron shore has some good spots, but once you get south of Oscoda it's pretty industrial in some parts.

West side you have Sleeping Bear Dune National Seashore, Traverse City, Harbor Springs, and much more.

I'm from Michigan and have been to both sides, just my opinion.

HTH
    John

I don't know how the mounties are but the U.P. State Partol is ruthless.....5 over TOPS.
    Jason
    Give a hand. http://www.akitas.org

Uh...

West Side

If you choose the west side Head over to Cross Village after crossing the Mackinac Bridge and take 119 south to Petoskey. Great Road that includes the tunnel of trees. Stay on 31 south to Traverse City and pick up M22 that will loop you around the Leelanau Pennisula. Great Lake vistas and Sand Dunes. Stay on M22 until Manistee. After that point, it's a call as to where you plan on crossing the border.... Great roads, scenery, vinyards, etc....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Squatch View Post
    If you choose the west side Head over to Cross Village after crossing the Mackinac Bridge and take 119 south to Petoskey. Great Road that includes the tunnel of trees. Stay on 31 south to Traverse City and pick up M22 that will loop you around the Leelanau Pennisula. Great Lake vistas and Sand Dunes. Stay on M22 until Manistee. After that point, it's a call as to where you plan on crossing the border.... Great roads, scenery, vinyards, etc....
    That's the route I would take (and have taken) for sure!
    Dan

Great advice from everybody. Not sure where you plan to cut across MI to get back to Ontario, but if you get as far south as the Kalamazoo area, you and your son are welcome to spend the night. jjbandllb@earthlink.net

Appreciate the advice

Thanks for all the tips - I'll have to pay close attention to that speed limit issue since the K13 is so easy to speed on! Jim- I haven't planned the whole route yet but if it includes Kalamazoo I'll let you know.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by jasonTDI View Post
    I don't know how the mounties are but the U.P. State Partol is ruthless.....5 over TOPS.
    My experience has been quite the opposite. If you don't do 15 over (70) cars are right on your tail and if you or they get observed by the patrol, no one cares, seems like anything goes in the UP (and northern WI). I don't recommend it, but that has been my experience in the past, 5 mph is a good idea.
    Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

cheesewhiz
    +1 On this route

I did that exact route last year and it was awesome (Even in the rain).

I'm leaving SE Michigan tomorrow for this route and a couple days tooling around Leelanau county. If you take M22 from Northport to Manistee, be sure to stop at the Lake Michigan senic overlook at Arcadia.

enjoy!
    peterh

The one addition I would make to the route would be to go all the way into Northport at the northern end of the Leelanau Peninsula. There's a state park with a lighthouse out there, and I love walking along the beach and looking up and down the coast. Very nice out there.
    Dan

1986 K100RT, 135000 miles
    If you are touring around Leelanau County, don't forget some of the interior roads, visit Peterson Park by Northport and just south of Glen Arbor you can check out Inspiration Point lookout, quite a view of both Little and Big Glen along with Lake Michigan. Also on the east side of Glen Lake you can take Miller Hill Road a couple miles, it is a dirt road but I have done it on a touring bike, it is a awesome view from up there. FYI the bridge is out at the narrows between Little Glen and Big Glen lakes so you have to go all around the lakes instead of cutting up between them but no big deal. If you are in Glen Arbor early in AM stop at Leelanau Coffee Roasters for a great coffee and pastry, later in the day make the stop at Arts Tavern for some awesome lunch or diner.

Have a great ride.

Paul
    Traverse City
    1986 K100RT

If you do the west route (and I would recommend this one, I have done both) there is a great campground 25 miles east of Manistee on M-37. Motorcycle friendly, VERY clean, awesome restaurant with fresh pastries daily. kestelwoodscampground.com And they give mototcyclists a discount too! Check them out.
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

Bikes, Guitars, and ... beemokat's Avatar

+1 for Squatch's route

That's a beautiful run! M-119 is a treasure, and M-22 is a great run also. Depending on how you're heading back to Ontario, there are a couple of nice roads heading towards Port Huron, Grange Hall road out of Fenton is nice, and so is Ortonville road.
    Wherever you go, there you are.