Thread: Goofing around with the Nikon D80

Talking Goofing around with the Nikon D80

Well I was bored today so I stuck the Nikon on the Tripod and took some pictures. They are NOT BMW photos.

So what do you think? These are all shot in jpeg basic. I should have shot in raw but I was just playing.
    MOA#125237
    IBA#35312
    http://empeg9000.blogspot.com/

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    The pictures are great; good color and very sharp.

How many more days until spring?
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

SNC1923
    Hey, leggo my eggo! These are cool shots. I like Nos. 2, 3, 6, and 7. The front tires in No. 7 look really noisy. High ISO? Why does this shot not have embedded exif information. I've tried reading it in a few different programs and I get nothing but the file name. How's that work?

I like No. 3 the best, I think. The reds are rendered beautifully in these. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by SNC1923 View Post
    Hey, leggo my eggo! These are cool shots. I like Nos. 2, 3, 6, and 7. The front tires in No. 7 look really noisy. High ISO? Why does this shot not have embedded exif information. I've tried reading it in a few different programs and I get nothing but the file name. How's that work?

I like No. 3 the best, I think. The reds are rendered beautifully in these. . . .
    I am not sure why the exif data is not showing, I am assuming its because Picasa doesnt store everything. Here is the data for it:
    Camera: NIKON CORPORATION
    Model: NIKON D80
    ISO: 1600
    Exposure: 1/3 sec
    Aperture: f/11.0
    Focal Length: 70mm

Yes there is a lot of noise on seven. These shots were taken around 3pm in my kitchen with natural sunlight which was starting to go down. All of these pictures are cropped quite a bit and 7 and 8 are probably cropped 200% or more in jpeg basic. If I had shot in raw they would probably be much better.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH
    The pictures are great; good color and very sharp.

How many more days until spring?
    Thanks Paul. Unfortunately its quite a ways until spring. I did have the RT out the first week of January but not since.
    MOA#125237
    IBA#35312

RIDERR1150GSADV

Talking

I like the driver's facial expression...

bmdubyou
    I wonder how much difference it would've made using a lower ISO? You were using a tripod on a non-moving subject so such a high iso wouldnt really be needed.
    I dont know much about RAW mode...what would be the advantages and I dont know if my version of photoshop can handle raw. maybe this should be another thread?

Quote Originally Posted by mcclimans84rt View Post
    I wonder how much difference it would've made using a lower ISO? You were using a tripod on a non-moving subject so such a high iso wouldnt really be needed.
    I dont know much about RAW mode...what would be the advantages and I dont know if my version of photoshop can handle raw. maybe this should be another thread?
    I am sure ISO would have made a much bigger difference. I use the Nikon CaptureNX for handling raw and then I convert to jpeg to post pics. I generally only do that when I think I might actually want to work the photos. I usually try to take a good photo rather than touch it up. I honestly didnt pay attention to the ISO. In fact all I did was set an aperture and then let the camera set everything else. I do find shooting in raw and then cropping yields very good results.
    Here is a photo I shot in raw over the summer and cropped it a ton although its at ISO 100.
    ISO: 100
    Exposure: 1/640 sec
    Aperture: f/5.6
    Focal Length: 200mm

One thing that annoys me with digitals sometimes is the default in low/mixed-light conditions is to up the ISO to 1600 right off the bat. I guess I should be more mindful of it when I am using a tripod but as I said I whipped up that setup and photos of the lego car in like 5 minutes because I was just bored.
    MOA#125237
    IBA#35312

Is your camera set to 'Superfine' and highest megapixel setting?
    Stephen Burns - 2007 R1200GS
    BMW MOA Lifetime Member
    www.burnsmoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by Burnszilla View Post
    Is your camera set to 'Superfine' and highest megapixel setting?
    The Lego shots? No. In my first post I said "These are all shot in jpeg basic."
    The F1 shot I took in raw and just saved it as jpeg after cropping.
    MOA#125237
    IBA#35312