Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: K75S DIY painting (& polished tank) thread

Aluminum gas cap, by any chance?

Joel; All I've done to the gas cap so far is remove the inside filler flap thingy. Ive seen a couple of photos of bikes (K75Ss) with chromed gas caps which is an attractive option. I didn't realize that the stock cap is powdercoated; I actually thought it was some kind of super hard, solvent-resistant ABS plastic!

Wonder how hard it is to remove the lock from it? I'll take a close look at it and see if I can figure that out firsthand.

I could then take it down to a local sandblasting place and have it done (sodablasting preferred, of course). Then I'd have to ship it off to the mainland for chroming unless I could get it done in Honolulu for a reasonable cost.
    I recall hearing of a recommendation of a place in Ohio that was really good for MC parts, inexpensive and fast turnaround time so I'll look into that (was on ADVRider a while back) if I decide to go ahead.

It just occurred to me that the gas cap might also be aluminum, in which case, well...I'll give you one guess as to what I would do to it if is......

Guess I better go get the fridge magnets right now and check it out!
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

ex: R100GS/PD , K100RS , R75/5 , R60/2

Thumbs up Protecting bare aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by RoyB View Post
    Are you going to clear coat the tank to stop oxidation?
    All the research I did on protecting or clearcoating aluminum told me that anything I put on the surface will dull the shine.

I started a thread over on ADV's Garage Forum on this exact topic as I was hoping some sort of clearcoat would turn up that wasn't problematic on bare aluminum. No such animal, as far as I was able to determine.

The best thing is to just keep it highly polished all the time, as if it was a vintage Airstream at a Concours d'Elegance

The upside is that finely polished aluminum corrodes much less as long as it is kept up and doesn't sit out in the elements much. I'll keep an supply of Mother's or Blackfire handy and give it a once-over with a microfiber cloth as needed.
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

This brings back memories of a sailboat (34' Catalina) that I used to have. My wife polished the portion of the mast in the cabin. Once done, it was quite easy to maintain and looked great.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Talking Looks like chrome...

Just finished polishing my rear rack after three days spent sanding, sanding, sanding and some more sanding---all by hand---60 grit on up..

This morning I started with the fine sanding at 400 grit, then 800, 1000 & 2000. Polished it by hand with a microfiber cloth and a glop of Blackfire.

Getting the black powdercoat off was a pain. I tried using Klean Strip Aircraft Remover which barely roughed up the surface. Had I known that methylene chloride wouldn't work I would have had it media blasted in Hilo to save me using so much elbow grease

The final result looks like chrome and I'm very pleased despite a few minor scratches here and there. The scratches might be buffed out at some point later on but I'm done with this for now. Almost as much work as polishing my tank but equally worthwhile nonetheless.

I think the rack will compliment said tank perfectly, especially with either paint color I end up with (to be announced)
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

Smile Almost forgot the before/after photos!

Oops! Here's the photos of my rack before and after I meant to include in my above post:

Before (the tape underneath was for preventing the aircraft remover from stripping the powdercoating on the bottom):

After a ton of hard hand-work:

---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

3 Red Bricks
    [QUOTE=nh7robmw;484840J

I think the rack will compliment said tank perfectly, especially with either paint color I end up with (to be announced)[/QUOTE]

YELLOW???

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Cut it out, Lee!

You think I spent the last two weeks sanding away all of the yellow paint just so I could repaint it the same color all over again?

If this keeps up I may have to announce my color choices sooner than later...
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by nh7robmw View Post
    You think I spent the last two weeks sanding away all of the yellow paint just so I could repaint it the same color all over again?

If this keeps up I may have to announce my color choices sooner than later...

I just thought it would be pretty dumb to paint a bike named "Chiquita" blue.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Cool Chiquita no more?

OK, Lee, but Chiquita would still befit a bike that was a certain shade of green, brown or black depending on ripeness...

Actually, my wife pointed out to me some time ago when I informed her of my impending project that I will probably need to change her name (the bike's, not my wife's).

From here on, maybe we should refer to her as "Alumina." I actually kind of like that.

Maybe that name will stick, regardless of what the color of the rest of the bike turns out to be later on. Guess I'll have to change my signature line now.

Yesterday I retrieved the gas cap out of the big plastic bin full of tupperware I've removed from the bike. I took a close look at the cap and while I can hardly believe it, , IT IS ALSO SOLID ALUMINUM!

Since it is powdercoated I will see if I can get it sodablasted first (I learned my lesson the hard way with the rack already).

Then I may send it off to get anodized some wild color unless I should further succumb to sanding and polishing instead. It is kind of addicting, actually.

Any idea on how to safely remove the lock cylinder? I was hoping it would come off with the cover part that has three screws underneath but no luck, seems that it is pressure fit. ?????

At any rate, the gas cap refinishing will go onto the back burner for now. The summer is flying by and I really need to start sanding and prepping the tupperware for painting. All the sunny, more-or-less dry weather we're having now won't last forever.

Once I get the painting accomplished I can go back to worrying about all the minor details like bits of bling that can be done when it's raining again.

Probably the very next thing on this week's agenda is to "reassemble" the tank. It's been sitting inside our 4Runner parked in the sun for several days. Wanted to make sure it will be completely dry inside after I washed it with Simple Green and gave it a thorough rinsing.

I'll install new in-tank fuel lines and a new pump sock and fuel filter when I reinstall the fuel pump. Very glad I went ahead and removed it for inspection a while back---while the rubber surround was fine (hard as an old tire), the pump sock was gummed up and had a hole in it.

I might put a couple drops of Sea Foam into the pump's inlet, too (for the sake of lubrication), what do you think?
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

Quote Originally Posted by nh7robmw View Post
    From here on, maybe we should refer to her as "Alumina."
    Maybe ALOX or Corundum for all the "wet or dry" you've used. You could even shorten it to "Corie."
    '02 R1150RT is my ride. Maintaining and restoring 3 K1100LTs, 1 K75RT, 1 K1600GTL, and 1 Honda GL1800 Goldwing for some buddies.

Smile Name change (temporary) and gas cap lock removal

Just changed my signature line to reflect (pun intended) Chiquita's changing look. May change her name again once I've done painting; depends on the final look of the bike.

I also took another close look at the inside of my gas cap and figured out how to remove the lock cylinder so I can get the cap sandblasted or stripped of the powdercoating.

It was dead simple---all I needed to do was insert the key and push in the tab on the end while I pulled the whole thing out. Yippee!

Guess I'll be stopping by the sandblasting outfit in town tomorrow
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

Very awesome!
    1994 K75/2

Owner/Designer, LampOneDesigns.com

Smile Gas cap all done; check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by JHGilbert View Post
    Lookin' GREAT!

To me the next question isn't the rack....It's the gas cap. What are you going to the gas cap. Paint/Powder/Polish?
    While I was planning to get started on sanding the tupperware this week it just didn't happen. I got to work on the gas cap instead.

Didn't take quite so long to sand and polish once I'd stripped the powdercoating with my last half can of aircraft remover. While I also planned to have it soda-blasted in Hilo I decided to use up the last of the stripper first.

If it didn't work I would then try soda blasting.

I submerged the whole thing in a stainless steel pan for about an hour or so and lo and behold, it worked. Got 95% of the PC off which was good news for me---turns out there is no soda blasting outfit in Hilo or anywhere else on my island after all.

The rest I was able to sand or brush off with a stainless brush on my Dremel. Then out came the 220, 320, 400, 800, 1000 & 2000 grit wet paper again before polishing it by hand with an old cotton sock and a bit of Blackfire. The sanding took all of an hour or so---not bad. This time I didn't have any deep scratches to sand out like I did with the rack so it went pretty smoothly (no pun intended).

Here's some photos of the gas cap after I removed the lock cylinder and stripped most of the powdercoat:

(In the 3rd photo down note the little tab on the end of the cylinder which must be pressed in before the whole assembly slides out in a jiffy; the tab is on the side closest to the cap hinge)

There are a few minor scratches still in the tank that I will attend to after it is back on the bike. I still need to re-assemble all the fuel goodies inside the tank, too--- I've been putting this off until I was done with the gas cap.

Back to work at my regular job for the next three days so I'll resume my project later this week.
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

Thumbs up

Hey Jeff ,
    I Gotta give you a pat on the back , The tank and cap are really looking Sweet .

Keep up the good work!

Talking Uh-oh, looks like the fork brace is ALUMINUM, too!

Out of curiosity I took my trusty fridge magnet and checked my fork brace this morning. Well, guess what---it, too, is not magnetic! Looks like it was cast or made the same way as my rear rack.

I'll need to remove my front wheel for the new tire sometime so I suppose once that's done I'll unbolt the fork brace and go get another can of paint stripper.

Just when I thought I was done with all the polishing...

Does anyone know if there is anything I should be aware of when I remount the brace? I'm assuming that it is not adjustable---or am I wrong?
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina