Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

Thread: K75S DIY painting (& polished tank) thread

Chromex'd headers arriving tomorrow

Just a heads-up for those curious about the Chromex ceramic coating I had done to my headers---they're waiting for me at the post office now. I'll photograph them and post the results here as soon as I get them out of the box.

More details to follow; I'm nearing completion at long last.
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

ex: R100GS/PD , K100RS , R75/5 , R60/2

Thumbs up Chromex ceramic-coated headers

Got the headers back from Performance Coatings in Auburn, Washington today (actually arrived Saturday while I was at work). They turned out perfectly well and I was also really pleased with their service and attention to detail.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this outfit to anyone wanting ceramic coating done.

On their website they indicate shipping by UPS or FedX only; I requested USPS as it's about a third of the cost compared to them for Hawaii---and they honored my request. My total cost was $99 and change; considerably less than I had anticipated initially ($140-$150 for Chromex plus about $59 for FedEx Home Delivery).

Here are some before/after photos:

BEFORE

AFTER (on-camera flash)

and
    (taken with available light indoors)

I now know what others mean when the Chromex finish is nicer in hand; most photos don't do it justice. It's identical in color and overall appearance to bright or polished aluminum---perfect for my bike!

I'll get these reinstalled on the bike pronto (with a set of new copper nuts and crush washers) Probably a good idea to use some high-temp anti-seize on the studs, too.

More reno details to follow later this week (have a string of days off together so I should be able to finish things up by next weekend, fingers crossed!).
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

Those headers are just gorgeous.

Wonder if I could convince my wife that they're candlesticks and stick them on the dining room table

-tim

Smile Know what you mean, Tim!

I almost didn't want to reinstall them on the bike---so I could admire them in my den a bit longer...

Here's another shot of them with their brand-new copper nuts (and crush washers installed in the exhaust ports):

The headers match the tank now, too.

This is the tank just before I reinstalled it late yesterday after numerous buffing, cleaning and polishing sessions:

More details to follow....
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

WOW !!! everything looks great... I can't wait to see the finished product (bike).
    AKA SNAPGADGET
    Lifes too short to ride an ugly Motorcycle

Thanks, Kgadley; I'm scrambling to get it up and running by tomorrow if possible---that'd make it exactly 9 months since I started this project.

Going back outside now to start installing the front fenders, fork brace and then sand and buff the windscreen. Lots of little things to do but I'm getting to the end of things at last. Stay tuned.

Ill post a full, long-overdue update soon and complete photos once the bike is ready. Fingers crossed that's tomorrow!
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

Arrow Sneak preview, another name change and 9-month update:

Part 1) (going to post this in a few parts in between some chores tonight)

Basically completed my project today---after nine long months of work, numerous expeditures, delays, re-dos, etc.---along with a few mistakes and small triumphs here and there.

The last few weeks have been fairly rewarding, making it possible for me to get the bike all back together late this afternoon. While I was planning to put a couple gallons of ethanol-free gas in the shiny tank and take it around the block a few times today---the local weather turned sour on me about the time I was all ready.

Since I'll also need to go to the DMV and retrieve my license plate and re-register the bike before I really get out on the road (I filed a non-op certificate last year) I decided to wait on firing her up for the time being. I go back to work tomorrow morning and won't have time to do so until late next week.

At least the rain, mist and cold fog did not deter my spirits. I kept on working on the last few details; replacing several rusty frame-to-engine bolts, brake caliper bolts and reinstalling the windscreen that I buffed with blue tripoli yesterday.

While it is truly a joy to see my bike complete once again I will not be posting complete pictures here until I have a nice dry day where I can take some good "AFTER" shots that I can post along with a couple of "BEFORE" shots to better show all the differences.

Speaking of differences; I have decided on a new name for my bike. No longer Chiquita, no longer Alumina.......

Since the bike was built in Berlin and sounds like a Bernina sewing machine, I came up with "Berlina."

Here's a few sneak peaks of Berlina:

Last edited by nh7robmw; 03-20-2010 at 09:12 AM.
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

Nice job! you shouldn't have any trouble finding that in a crowd.
    Brian

86 k100rt, 78 r80/7

Cool

Thank you, Brian; I only wish there was a crowd of Beemers on this island---we're outnumbered by HDs and riceburners by a gazillion to one...
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

3 Red Bricks
    IT'S ALIVE!!!!

Very cool! Wow, what a difference. It looks great.

You might want to think about sanding the BMW on the crank cover down to bare aluminum so it matches the other side. Not the fins and everything. Keep it understated. But, it's a little dark on that side right now.

With that tank you will become very good at your Flamingo Kid impersonation (wax on, wax off). It's beautiful. Well done.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Time Tunnel

Wow...All that work,and it only took me a few hours to read about it.
    Great job
    We drove all this way for a DEAD END ! My son!!!

02 Silver RT1150 My 1st BMW Bike
    Craig

Smile Good idea!

Thanks, guys.

Lee, I have to say like your idea of sanding only the "BMW" on the crank cover. That would be the perfect touch, wouldn't it just?

I am also going to clear coat the engine with Duplicolor's Engine Clear. I used it on my muffler heat shield and it's pretty nice for something out of a rattle can. Since it's good for up to 500 degrees it cures and becomes more durable with plenty of heat.

When I painted all the engine covers and footpeg plates with PJ1 Satin Black I was disappointed because there was nothing satiny about the black---it dried to a dull, nearly flat black finish. Heard it was the closest match to BMW's OEM finish, too. Maybe I needed to lay down wetter coats but not to worry now, a light clear coating will bring it up to snuff.

I won't be so concerned about the bare aluminum "BMW" oxidizing then either.

In case anyone's wondering, I plan to use up the rest of my painters blue masking tape and spray the clear on all the engine covers while they're still on the bike. I'll give them a thorough cleaning beforehand and dry them with my Mini-Mite turbine (10 PSI of warm dry air coming out of a brass garden hose nozzle works wonders after washing your bike, folks!) and I should be good to go.

Then I'll use the heat gun carefully to help start the curing process and finish by going for a long ride on a sunny day.

Naturally, pictures of this stage will be forthcoming soon after I've done so. I have a few days off later this week; let's see if the weather cooperates (I already have a can and a half of clear).
    Last edited by nh7robmw; 03-28-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: typo
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

Thumbs up

Wow! Congratulations, that is one fine looking K. Well worth the time, effort and wait and a real testamony to your vision and patience. Thank you for inviting us along for the experience.
    lostandwandering
    87 K75S

My pleasure!

My pleasure in sharing my project here! Thank you!

Thanks for everyone's patience in following my somewhat slow progress, too.

Had I known that the winter was going to be one of the driest on record and the paint guy I chose to take over that end would take three entire months to do an "OK-but-could-have-been-a-lot-better" spray job---well, I would have plowed ahead and done it all myself. At any rate, I did all the prep and sanding and final finishing so that counts for something.

I'm really happy I decided to polish out a lot of the aluminum (but very, very glad I did not go ahead and polish the wheels------------thank you, Don, for advising against that!) I like the glossy black wheels now anyway.

Late here so I will say "Guten nacht" for now but do feel free to stay tuned. There's a few more little things I'm thinking about that will continue to make Chiquita's/Berlina's makeover a work in progress for the time being...

Thanks again for your kind words. Looking back on all the work I suppose I earned them.
    ---Jeff '94 K75S Berlina

3 Red Bricks
    Here's the injector cover that San Jose BMW sells. For K75s it's CC Products #75 and sells for $29.

injector cover.JPG

It really cleans up the "business" of all the wires, hoses, and linkage in that area.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare