Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 1300 GT Shutting Down

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    ...since you had the software upgrade have you noted any change in driveability, either good or bad?
    Fortunately, the stalling problem was fixed before the software upgrade (no problems since resetting adaptives/cleaning throttle bodies) - and this is over several thousand miles, so I can't say what the fix did about the stalling problem.

As far as the software - perhaps just a little smoother on power delivery, and a little slower dropping down to idle speed when pulling in clutch and letting off of throttle. Other than that, it's just running great.

I do have a different problem, though. The more I twist that thingy on the right side handlebar, the faster my rear tire wears out .
    Steve
    '09 K1300GT

Good to know that the driveability is not affected.

I hear you on the rear tire
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

"I do have a different problem, though. The more I twist that thingy on the right side handlebar, the faster my rear tire wears out"

The cure for that is the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat. Unfortunately in my case its really loose...and there's no fix...
    MSF RiderCoach, Sport Bike Coach, Track Junkie, IBA, MSTA, AMA, HRCA, Factor Demo Rider
    2012 BMW R1200GS, 2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 1990 Honda GB500TT
    Helmetless riders=Darwinism in action.

Quote Originally Posted by pakyohmeca View Post
    Hi
    My GT started shutting down between down shifts or when coasting to a stop. No trouble restarting, it starts right up. This started after about 200 miles into a trip. This was happening about 8-12 times a day on this trip. I called my SM and he said to make sure I was using good gas with the highest octane number I could get. When I got to Chicago I called Chicago BMW and the SM said he would take a wild guess that it was a throttle/EFI mapping problem. He stated that anytime the battery is disconnected on these bikes that the throttle mapping needed to be accomplished. He told me how to do the procedure and I did it. This improved the situation but did not fix it. I am home now and do for the 12K service. My trip was 7285 miles, 19 days, i9 states from Florida to California and back. Best MPG were in Utah/Colorado with 87 Octane non ethanol fuel. I actually got 54MPG there. One other 1300GT owner on another forum is having the shut down problem and he has less than 600 miles on his bike.
    Any ideas appreciated.

Don S
    You say there's a procedure, can you explain it???
    I disconnected my battery and started the same problem.
    Fernando Gonzalez
    burromanadero@hotmail.com

I believe the dealerships have recalled the 1300 for this issue due to pressure from NHSTA. It has been proven that the fuel is not the problem. From the previous threads, I believe the problems you and many others are experiencing are from a software glitch. Contact your dealer and ask them about the recall. Several dealers have pulled thier inventory on the 1300's due to the serverity and potential danger of this problem.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

There is indeed now a published recall on the K13 GT and S models to fix the stalling issue. The fix is new fuel managment software mapping (v14.2 I believe). I had my GT done in January, as soon as the fix was issued, and so far its solved the problem...If you have a K13 GT or S and haven't had the recall fix done, it needs to be accomplished. Oh, there is also a recall out for the hardbag locks on the GT. Something about lock casing cracks or similar. The dealer should be able to take of that at the same time if you're a GT rider...mine did both recalls in about an hour (I've got a really good dealer and service dept...)
    MSF RiderCoach, Sport Bike Coach, Track Junkie, IBA, MSTA, AMA, HRCA, Factor Demo Rider

Before you get the upgrade have them run your VIN and confrim that 14.2 will not throw a oil warning after the software burn.

I had 14.2 with the ; waiting for 14.3

The new software is wonderful.
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

What models are affected for the saddle bag recall? Wouldn't the bags on my 1200 be the same as a 1300?
    Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

It's VIN related, they checked mine and I was not part of it
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Evidently the saddlebag recall is a minor issue. Mine was on the recall list and the dealer did it, but said they saw no evidence of any problem. They had already done three others and didn't find any problem with those, either.

Agree on the software fix, it's excellent...

mystery gas

Food for thought. Ethonol gas probably is not leaving deposits. The marine issues most encounter are related to old varnish deposits in tanks which the alcohol breaks free and redeposits in other areas. I would be very surprised to see any sludge build up in a 5000 mi throttle body. Alcohol is a great solvent. I personally work with a professional custom engine builder who complains of alcohol in gasoline cleaning engines too much not leaving any lubricating residues which leads to lack of lubrication issues and potential corrosion issues. The worst part of the E85 gasoline is the lower power which equals to higher consumption by volume to equal good old fashion gasoline power.

Now for the stalling. There is no doubt BMW knows more about this than everybody. IMHO what's occuring is a record time response in fuel restriction feed to the throttle body. This new emissions standards which engine builders must comply with causes definite software issues. I have a G650 single electronic Beamer which had stalling issues that felt like they were electronic related. After the last dealer service much less trouble. Seems so much performance is being derived from these small engines that there is always a compromise.

If you don't like BMW engineering go to HD where a skip is designed in!

1300 Recall

Hi
    Has anyone received a formal notice from BMW on the stalling issue?? Through the efforts of the owners and dealers the fix is being completed but I was wondering about a letter from BMW.

Thanks
    Don S

I have not - i think the only one I got officially from BMWNA was the foaming front brake.
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Unhappy 14.2 Upgrade Issue

Hi
    Had teh 14.2 upgrade done on the bike today. About 20 miles into the ride home the light illuminated. This light indicates low oil so I took the seat off and checked. The oil is fine. The shop asked that I bring it back next week and they will run the computer on it.

Don S
    2009 K1300GT

Quote Originally Posted by pakyohmeca View Post
    Hi
    Had teh 14.2 upgrade done on the bike today. About 20 miles into the ride home the light illuminated. This light indicates low oil so I took the seat off and checked. The oil is fine. The shop asked that I bring it back next week and they will run the computer on it.

Don S
    2009 K1300GT

Same here - just waiting for 14.3

Don't sweat it - if you don't set the computer so that it checks the oil - it does not come on - at least that is what I observed. Have only been able to ride the bike 3 times since the update.

On a different note how do you find the driveability as compared to the original software?
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator