Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 1300 GT Shutting Down

Caribbean Druid
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    There's more out now for the stalling issue. Check with your dealer if you have any problems.
    Can you clarify this? When I read your post, I called my service guy and he says there has been nothing new from BMW lately. According to him (and I have a pretty reliable shop) BMW is still saying throttle body cleaning, use of top tier gas and occasional fuel additive usage.

Your service adviser/ manager needs to check the latest BMW recall bulletins. The recall was posted this month ( November ). It is questionable wether this will resolve the shut down problem though.........

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
    Can you clarify this? When I read your post, I called my service guy and he says there has been nothing new from BMW lately. According to him (and I have a pretty reliable shop) BMW is still saying throttle body cleaning, use of top tier gas and occasional fuel additive usage.
    If you are still having troubles with your 1300 (it's not a recall), there is a latest version of software update available for the engine.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

I believe it is now a recall coming out very soon on the stalling issue. A remap of the engine management.
    My other bike is a BMW.

Engine Remap

Do you believe the v 14.2 software update is the engine management remap recall?? I haven't gotten the v14.2 update but my understanding is that it is available for the asking at the dealerships. Not a recall-yet??

Thanks

Don S

Caribbean Druid
    Quote Originally Posted by cjack View Post
    I believe it is now a recall coming out very soon on the stalling issue. A remap of the engine management.
    Do you know if this is BMW's response to the NHTSA investigation into the stalling problem, opened last month?...

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    Kind of hard to see it as a 'response' per se, since they have to have been working on it continuously for some time. Interesting timing, but I have read of others getting the new software installed just prior to the announcement of the NHTSA investigation. Probable they were trying to be as proactive as they can be and solve the issue and avoid the investigation, but there are have been enough complaints filed that the investigation likely would have had to happen even if BMW had found a fix earlier. Certainly the problem is widely publicized and some dealers pulled these models from their floors back in August. So, while I have only experienced mild issues compared to some, I am keeping fingers crossed that this new software really is the answer.
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

It is my hope as well that this is a valid resolution to the problem at hand however a product and manufacture such as BMW shouldnt have to be threatened by NHTSA to address poor engineering or quality control to resolve valid problems with thier products that can be life threatening.

This behavior pattern of BMW's customer service is what has lead me down a path over the past couple months away from the BMW show room and into the hands of another manufacture. So much to the point that I have sold my BMW in the last week and will be taking delivery of a Concours 14 in the next 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Motogp View Post
    ...... I have sold my BMW in the last week and will be taking delivery of a Concours 14 in the next 2 weeks.
    Minor high-jack; did you get the new restyled one that addresses the heat issue and has now been optioned with traction control and heated grips?

Looks real sharp, especially in blue.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

I havent purchased the Concours yet although I have some concern of the heat issue on the right side. I spent some seat time on one and it wasnt that big of a deal. There isnt much difference between the 2008 and 10 other than relocated mirrors, some minor fairing revision to address the heat and a little bit bigger windscreen. The biggest difference is there are alot of 2009's floating around that are able to be had for as low as 10400.00! The new 2010 msrp is 14995 and there isnt alot of leeway that dealers are willing to give up. Same power plant, brakes, frame, etc.
    My wrist has served me well over the course of 39 years of riding therefore I am not that interested in the traction control and heated grips can be had for 150 bucks.
    I think I will sway towards the 2009 and save 4K.............
    I will let you know, should be picking one up in the next couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by pakyohmeca View Post
    Do you believe the v 14.2 software update is the engine management remap recall?? I haven't gotten the v14.2 update but my understanding is that it is available for the asking at the dealerships. Not a recall-yet??

Thanks

Don S
    It's either a recall or I think going to be one. The fix may not be a direct response to the NHTSA, but if they are making it a recall, that sounds like a response.
    My other bike is a BMW.

Caribbean Druid
    I'm headed over to the dealer today, to pick upanother bike they just finished reworking for us. I'm going to ask them about the v14.2 software...

so does the 4.12 firmware upgrade superceed the Throttlebody cleaning or is it included?
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

The way I heard it, BMW will provide the software update and cleaning is not necessary or required (which means they are not going to pay for it).
    My other bike is a BMW.

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    So, have you heard if BMW is no longer recommending the regular addition of the fuel additive? The 6-pack of Techron was pretty cheap at Costco, so no big deal, but it would be nice not to have to add something to every fillup. My biggest worry with that is getting it on the paint.....
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/