Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: 1300 GT Shutting Down

I just bought an '09 K1300S last month... experienced the stall issue three times prior to the 500 mile mark on the ODO. The last time it happened, it seemed to me I was pulling the clutch lever in rather slowly when coming up and exit ramp preparing to downshift and stop. I was in third gear pulling in the clutch lever to shift to 2nd. Since then, I have consciously pulled the lever in quick and for almost 700 more miles now (1130+ total on the bike) I have not had it stall again. Around the same time, I switched from premium to mid-grade gas, which the manual says is OK - more mileage, less performance, which is fine by me - it has PLentY of performance. We don't, in general, have ethanol in our gas here in West MI, so I cannot comment on that suspected relation. I have traveled through MI, IN, IL, and WI now, all in the last 700 miles, gassing up in each, and at least one must have had ethanol and no notable effect.

I am absobfreakinglutely lovin' this bike...!
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

Quote Originally Posted by wmubrown View Post
    I just bought an '09 K1300S last month...
    Congratulstions - did you post a picture oif it?

experienced the stall issue three times prior to the 500 mile mark on the ODO. The last time it happened, it seemed to me I was pulling the clutch lever in rather slowly when coming up and exit ramp preparing to downshift and stop. I was in third gear pulling in the clutch lever to shift to 2nd. Since then, I have consciously pulled the lever in quick and for almost 700 more miles now (1130+ total on the bike) I have not had it stall again.
    I have noticed a similar event on my GT, and what i have done is not only pull the clutch in quick but also be completely off throttle - it seems to help

I am absobfreakinglutely lovin' this bike...!
    AWESOME isn't it!

Like your sig line for the S
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    Congratulstions - did you post a picture oif it?
    No... good idea... I'll do that even if I do need a better photo

AWESOME isn't it!
    Most definitely!!

Like your sig line for the S
    Thanks! Its a Monty Python line a lot of folks may not get
    John A. Brown - Kalamazoo MI
    '09 K1300S 'Zoot' (Wicked, bad, naughty, evil, Zoot!)
    '94 K1100LT 'Desert' (the horse with no name)

BMW K1300GT Stalling Problem

There is an interesting article on page 5 of the November 2009 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News. It seems the stalling problem is BMW's highest priority right now. And apparently it is not just a problem on GTs, but other K 1300s.

BMW is working on the "Mapping" problem. It is "believed" a solution will be available "soon."

It sounds like the check is in the mail.

Easy

Thanks! Its a Monty Python line a lot of folks may not get
    Dimsdale!

wharthog
    If this problem happens twice and the dealer is unable to fix it twice. Start a "lemon law" case with BMW Motorcycles of NA. Call the customer service number and tell them you want to open a lemon law case on your bike. I guarantee they will take notice when they are looking at eating the cost of all the 1300 bikes that are having problems and having to resell them branded as lemons.

Cool Lemon Law

The requirements of the Lemon Law very from state to state however if I recall correctly, the issue has to have three documented service repairs, not two. Also, you must well document all conversations with your service personel and start with your adviser, then to the manager and if possible, to the owner of the dealer. If all else fails, you will need to track down the BMW Zone rep. His number should be in the back of your owners manual. Only after having the issue serviced three times and have spoke to all personel at the dealer, I would place the call to BMW NA.
    Maintain a professional tone and do not lose your cool. A zone rep will make arrangements to meet with you and the dealer personel to discuss further options. The lemon law is there to protect the consumer however without documentation and a professional attitude, you will find this is a very long road.

I would try to get the dealer to fix the problem however if BMW is going to handle this shutting down issue like they have the rear drive failures, then they deserve what they have coming. Fact is, it appears BMW is the only one stating the ethynol content in the fuel is reaping havoc with thier bikes, Ducati, Aprilia, Honda, Yamaha, MV Agusta, Suzuki or the many other manufactures are not having these problems to date, nor are the BMW automobiles.

Let's not mention the HPFP on the N54 engine, but that is already discussed to death on all the BMW car forums
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Clay
    A suggestion from another K-Bike site...

"Trying to come up with some kind of common ground to help solve the stalling issue. Please fill out options and please submit a report to the NHTSA and BMWNA 1-800-831-1117 ex 8849 detailing your experiences."

Regards,

Clay AA3JY
    Kimberton,Pa.

K bike shutdown

In review of a couple messages regarding this issue, what is the current percentage of bikes being produced with this problem? Is it all 1300's across the board or just the ST or S models? I cant imagine riding along and having the vehicle that I am driving just shut down. Regardless wether it be a bike, car, or boat, it is unacceptable. How are the dealers handling this problem?? Are they providing any support or are they stating that it is out of thier hands until the factory gets involved??

Caribbean Druid
    Dealers are handling the problem under warranty. The current interim fix issued by BMW is to clean the throttle bodies of any deposits, then provide a fuel additive at fill-up intervals. I had my 1300GT done and am now using the fuel additive as recommended. So far no recurrences of the problem. BMW is supposedly working on a permanent fix, to be available soon...stay tuned.

K Shutdown

BMW should provide the additive or a allowance for this product until they come up with a cure? I used to run a fuel additive/ octane boost in racing boats and the expense of this additive was a substantial amount of money over the course of time. Perhaps if BMW had to shoulder this cost, they would come up with a solution a bit sooner??? Something to think about considering they appear to be burdoning the purchaser of thier bikes with this expense.

wharthog
    Quote Originally Posted by Motogp View Post
    The requirements of the Lemon Law very from state to state however if I recall correctly, the issue has to have three documented service repairs, not two. Also, you must well document all conversations with your service personel and start with your adviser, then to the manager and if possible, to the owner of the dealer. If all else fails, you will need to track down the BMW Zone rep. His number should be in the back of your owners manual. Only after having the issue serviced three times and have spoke to all personel at the dealer, I would place the call to BMW NA.
    Maintain a professional tone and do not lose your cool. A zone rep will make arrangements to meet with you and the dealer personel to discuss further options. The lemon law is there to protect the consumer however without documentation and a professional attitude, you will find this is a very long road.

I would try to get the dealer to fix the problem however if BMW is going to handle this shutting down issue like they have the rear drive failures, then they deserve what they have coming. Fact is, it appears BMW is the only one stating the ethynol content in the fuel is reaping havoc with thier bikes, Ducati, Aprilia, Honda, Yamaha, MV Agusta, Suzuki or the many other manufactures are not having these problems to date, nor are the BMW automobiles.
    In California if the vehicle has had two problems that are considered "life threatening" it is eligible for lemon status. Stalling does qualify according to a local lemon law atty. Or a "reasonable" amount of times to fix other issues. case law has deemed this to be four times. On my bike I called BMW Motorcycles NA and told them about the issues my bike was having. I was very polite and calm. THEY followed up with the dealer and my claim has been elevated to the next level.

It's not an adversarial process. Their customer service people are fantastic. The dealer has nothing to do with the lemon law and you're not making an end run around them by going straight to BMW. In fact, if you continue to take it to the dealer time and time again they may not even notify BMW of the specific issue with your bike. They need to know. We should notify them.

I am hoping that BMW NA steps up to the plate and provides the customer support and a resolution to this problem quickly. I dont understand how a company that has so many innovative minds and networks as BMW has gets all crossed when issues such as these become apparent.

I can assure you if N8 or one of the WSB's were experiencing shut down issues, it would be corrected before the next race or lap! Seems efforts are lacking when it comes to providing support to the very people that are finacially supporting this company with purchasing thier products.

Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Motogp View Post
    I can assure you if N8 or one of the WSB's were experiencing shut down issues, it would be corrected before the next race or lap!

To be fair one thing is a single focus specific bike, the other is a fleet of engines out there in multitude of applications, world wide.

From several other forums including ones in Europe, BMW is addressing the issue, just have not root caused it.

The discussions have been valid, i think they will resolve this and do stand behind their product.

2 examples - the "extended" final drive support, the other an official 10 year warranty on the High Pressure Fuel Pumps on their N54 engines (the twin turbo).

I got a GT and I have a 335, they both work, the GT does on occasion stall but not often, and the 335 is running fine.

YMMV
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator