Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 1300 GT Shutting Down

2006 K1200R Stalling

Let me post BOTH stalling problems I have endured since early 2006 starting after the first service...Tis is an email I recently sent to my dealer...They have responded with an appointment which will be covered under warranty (Bike out of Warranty, but complaint multiple times while it was still under warranty)

As you know I have had my 2006 K1200R in to you for warranty service with the Stalling Problem associated with this engine as the principal and recurring cuplrit. The bike ran without stalling when I first got it in November 2005 for about 8000 miles. My only complaint about it, other than the rear brake servo failure, was that it surged, like a pre-2004 oilhead, under no load, slow speed conditions.

During the time from the Summer of 2006 until August 2008, I experienced the first type of stalling problem, which is well documented on the http://www.bmw-k.com/forum, where, upon slowing for a stop and pulling in the clutch, the engine would die...this would continue through every subsequent restart of the engine until the key was actually turned off. THEN, upon immediately reactivating the bike by turning the key back on, and pushing the starter button, the bike would return to normal operation. I likened this to a cold restart of a Windows Computer whose behavior had become squirrelly.

It was not until I was actually riding to your shop for my last available warranty appointment in November 2008 that I experienced the second type of stalling problem, which is also well documented on the http://www.bmw-k.com/forum, and in that 73 mile trip my home here in York, PA to your shop, it occurred 4 times...upon approaching a stop, and pulling in the clutch, the bike would stall. However, this time I could push the starter WITHOUT turning the key OFF first, and the bike would idle operate properly. However, shortly thereafter while approaching another stop it would happen again. After this service, this second type of stalling appeared to be behind us. However, it just happened to me last week, so here I am to report it. The first type of stalling problem has not reoccurred. Let me say that I have ridden this bike only about 1500 miles since the last service.

The forum has posted success stories ranging from checking all seals and connections downstream of the airbox to replacement of the O2 sensor and ECU. Some guys have resorted to third party devices, that I don't want to get into. All I want is for the Bike to run properly at all times.

Has BMW aknowledged that there are problems with this K12 engine and stalling? What do you suggest? Please know that since these problems have been reported by me to you during the warranty period, and that they are not resolved so far, that I consider them still to be addressed under warranty.

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to your answer.

David L Good

Forum Feedback is Appreciated
    David L Good

DCR, MOA, RA, VMO, AMA

hozpypr
    Hello everybody my 1300 had 1400 miles on it before i had to go back to work. I pulled the battery and put it on a bmw trik-charge while i was gone. When i returned i put the batt back in and the bike started and ran fine. The second day home the shut down problem started like everybody else only when coming down from higher rpms and was re-starting with no problem. Then the left side controls started malfunctioning (the wind shield, right turn, esa, and info switches) all stopped working. Took the bike in tec said i had left the bike without no batt for to long (4 months) and the internal batts died so the system re-set to default settings. I being a non motor head said ok he re-programed the computer and said the problem was fixed. The left hand control problem was another issue. I was told that a circuit board fried and that this was not unusual he had seen these bad boards come on new bikes right out of the box. The part was ordered and i was sent home with the bike running ok to wait for the part. Next day went out to ride and the dam thing will not start at all now. When you turn on the key the info screen does not go through the test mode just to a screen that is half ass working. Of course its sunday and bmw is closed till tuesday so i try the thing a few more times and give up. Tuesday i am loading the bike on a truck to go the 100 miles to the dealer and just for the hell of it i hit the start button and the thing starts. The dealership i bought the bike at are good people and are doing everything to get me going again but they also said it is electronic and if it is working when they test it the problem can be a bitch to find. Don't know the out come yet i dropped the thing off and went on a vacation for a week. I will post what was found out when i get back maybe it will help with someone else's problems.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hozpypr View Post
    Hello everybody my 1300 had 1400 miles on it before i had to go back to work. I pulled the battery and put it on a bmw trik-charge while i was gone. When i returned i put the batt back in and the bike started and ran fine. The second day home the shut down problem started like everybody else only when coming down from higher rpms and was re-starting with no problem. Then the left side controls started malfunctioning (the wind shield, right turn, esa, and info switches) all stopped working. Took the bike in tec said i had left the bike without no batt for to long (4 months) and the internal batts died so the system re-set to default settings. I being a non motor head said ok he re-programed the computer and said the problem was fixed. The left hand control problem was another issue. I was told that a circuit board fried and that this was not unusual he had seen these bad boards come on new bikes right out of the box. The part was ordered and i was sent home with the bike running ok to wait for the part. Next day went out to ride and the dam thing will not start at all now. When you turn on the key the info screen does not go through the test mode just to a screen that is half ass working. Of course its sunday and bmw is closed till tuesday so i try the thing a few more times and give up. Tuesday i am loading the bike on a truck to go the 100 miles to the dealer and just for the hell of it i hit the start button and the thing starts. The dealership i bought the bike at are good people and are doing everything to get me going again but they also said it is electronic and if it is working when they test it the problem can be a bitch to find. Don't know the out come yet i dropped the thing off and went on a vacation for a week. I will post what was found out when i get back maybe it will help with someone else's problems.
    I'm not sure about what the screen would look like if you turned the key on and the kill switch off, but there were bad switches on these bikes which were delivered around the first part of '09. Both sides. New handlebar switches may cure most of this.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Caribbean Druid
    My 09 K1300GT goes in tomorrow morning to address the low speed, clutch pull stalling problem. The bike has 4800 miles on it. When I informed my service manager (very reliable shop), he very quickly agreed the issue was a problem, and said they are waiting on a fix from BMW. In the meantime, he says best information he has is that ethanol mix in the gas appears to be leaving deposits on the slides, causing the stall problem. Until BMW comes up with a fix (different mapping, etc), they are cleaning the slides and using a fuel additive every X number of fill-ups to combat the problem. I'll post more after tomorrow morning's warranty work and face-to-face discussion with him.

When you mention the slides are you talking about the throttle bodies?

If so are they plannign to do it with the TB's on the bike.

Also another question to ask is if indeed this is the magic pill will this be a warranty item for the install base?

Thanks and keep us updated
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    When you mention the slides are you talking about the throttle bodies?

If so are they plannign to do it with the TB's on the bike.

Also another question to ask is if indeed this is the magic pill will this be a warranty item for the install base?

Thanks and keep us updated
    It's the area just above the throttle plates...supposed to alter the operation of the fuel/air mix.
    I have heard of the problem in the first few miles of a new bike. Hmmm. Does this happen in the rest of the world? Or just in the USA?
    My other bike is a BMW.

Some dealers think it's just in the USA...I don't think so if you read the forums. Some think it's gas...I kind of don't...why are the 1300s so much worse than the 1200s? There is some talk about different valve timing, etc. making the sensitivity to some common issues such as gas additives more an issue for the 1300. That doesn't speak to the low or no mileage 1300 bikes which stall sometimes also.
    My other bike is a BMW.

This all sounds like a continuation of the poor response BMW has for thier failing final drives. All manufactures have issues with thier products however how they respond is what seperates the good from the bad. BMW seems to know how to sell thier products, just hasnt figured out the service side. And with the 1000RR coming online, they are about to have thier hands full should this tidbit of new techno have issues.

This should be some interesting read for the next several months..........

Good luck to you all!

Caribbean Druid
    I'll be sure to post the full details of my discussion with my service manager today. On the phone he was very upfront about the problem, and seemed to indicate there was an interim fix (cleaning, routine fuel additive) until BMW comes up with a permanent solution. I've got a good service shop, so at least I think I'll get the straight scoop, at least as much as they know.

Quote Originally Posted by dwestly View Post
    I'll be sure to post the full details of my discussion with my service manager today. On the phone he was very upfront about the problem, and seemed to indicate there was an interim fix (cleaning, routine fuel additive) until BMW comes up with a permanent solution. I've got a good service shop, so at least I think I'll get the straight scoop, at least as much as they know.
    I see you are from Tampa. I use Eurocycles in Tampa for my Beemer work. Is that the shop you use?

Don S

Caribbean Druid
    Yep, EuroCycles. They've done a pretty good job for me in the past. Here's the update: I took the bike in this morning. They had it for 2 hours. They confirmed the throttle bodies (butterfly valve) were gunked up. They even took pictures of them to send to BMW. They cleaned them out, then stuck the bike on the computer and reset the adaptation values. Service manager says BMW is now going to be providing a fuel additive to prevent the deposit buildup as an interim fix. They have just heard from BMW on this, but don't have the additive yet. Our dealer is part of a 20 dealer consortium that gets together and works on issues. They discovered the marine industry is having a big problem with this as well, and is using a product called StarTron Enzyme Fuel Additive to combat the deposit buildup, so they are using it as well and having good results. Once they cleaned out the throttle bodies and reset them, they filled up the tank and added about 2 oz. of the StarTron to the tank. I got it back after their test ride and rode it home, about 40 miles, including about 10 miles of stoplight to stoplight riding. No stalling and it also cured a tiny bit of throttle lag as well. I'm sure the gunky throttle bodies were the culprit on that, too. Guidance on the StarTron is 1 oz. per full fillup, and they gave me the rest of the bottle. You can get it at any marine supply store. I'm going to just pre-fill some small 1 oz. bottles and keep them in the bike to use when I fill up, until this issue gets fixed. They are going to keep me posted on any more info from BMW on the issue (I'm in there all the time, as they do my Ducati as well).

That's it for now! Hope this helps...

Mendocino, CA USA about as far left as you can get in the lower 48
    I just picked up my new K13S on Tuesday the 22nd. I had called my dealer ahead of time on Saturday when the dealer in Aurora, CO had told me they had pulled all their K1300Ss from the floor due to the issue. My dealer said they had this 'fix' and that they were very proactive in this area, despite having only experienced one or two customers with issues, and they are a big volume dealer - relative for this economy of course. So, I have the BMW fuel additive to use as I refill my tank. The active ingredient is not listed, rather "Petroleum Distillates" is listed. So far in my first 70+ miles, no problem, but I do ride a LOT, so I should find out soon if this is indeed the fix. I may pickup some StarTron to have on hand.
    Last edited by 58058D; 09-24-2009 at 11:48 PM. Reason: new sig
    Jim Douglas '00 K1200RS >135,000 miles my primary bike again,
    Gone: '09 K1300S sold @ 22k mi, '93 K1100RS traded @ 78k mi, '85 K100RS sold @ 44k mi
    '06 Kaw 650R track bike sold
    http://www.seagullbb.com/

It may be Chevron's Techtron. That's what BMW has me putting in my bike now every 3,000 miles. IT will help keep the fuel system clean and help protect all but the rubber parts from the nasty alcohol and such we are getting in our fuel here in the States.

BMW just replaced nearly my entire fuel system on my '09 GSA because of of fuel pump failure at 10,500 miles. Assumed culprit: too much alcohol in the fuel. And I use only Shell V-power.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

Caribbean Druid
    Shop here also recommended using only top tier gas (Shell, Chevron, Texaco, etc) all the time. Anybody else got recommendations for the best fuel to combat this?

Cleaner in the fuel might be a good thing, but I don't think it has all to do with the stalling issue. I think my K1200S '08 has stalled once...on a hot day after a long run on the road. 12000 miles so far on the '08. I have had an '05 '06 and now an '08. No stalling. I have used just about every kind of (premium only) gas in the west, central, and east parts of the country.
    I still want to know what is different about the K1300 engine that has made this stalling issue an epidemic.
    My other bike is a BMW.