Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: 1300 GT Shutting Down

1300 GT Shutting Down

Hi
    My GT started shutting down between down shifts or when coasting to a stop. No trouble restarting, it starts right up. This started after about 200 miles into a trip. This was happening about 8-12 times a day on this trip. I called my SM and he said to make sure I was using good gas with the highest octane number I could get. When I got to Chicago I called Chicago BMW and the SM said he would take a wild guess that it was a throttle/EFI mapping problem. He stated that anytime the battery is disconnected on these bikes that the throttle mapping needed to be accomplished. He told me how to do the procedure and I did it. This improved the situation but did not fix it. I am home now and do for the 12K service. My trip was 7285 miles, 19 days, i9 states from Florida to California and back. Best MPG were in Utah/Colorado with 87 Octane non ethanol fuel. I actually got 54MPG there. One other 1300GT owner on another forum is having the shut down problem and he has less than 600 miles on his bike.
    Any ideas appreciated.

Don S

It's a 1300GT, going in for the 12K service, just maybe you could tell the dealer to fix it under warranty?? Just a thought.

Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

1300 GT Shutdown

The bike is still in the warranty period. My concern is they will not find the cause of the problem because it is intermittent. If no fault balls are set, then it will be tough to diagnose.

Don S

gt13rider

me too

I just recently started having the same problem. usually after a nice run on the freeway coming up the off ramp to a stop. re-starts right away,. no problem there. maybe an idle sensor problem? I do not drop from 6k rpm to o it is a steady decrease so it is not a fuel cut-off ( anology). 2000 miles on my gt, other than that my info button and my hazard button stopped working after my breakin service, the new button layout maybe?? fortunately it is not a ridability issue yet!

Quote Originally Posted by pakyohmeca View Post
    The bike is still in the warranty period. My concern is they will not find the cause of the problem because it is intermittent. If no fault balls are set, then it will be tough to diagnose.

Don S
    That's true, Don. I should have looked at it from your side. Never hurts to see if others know what they have to do to fix it. That's what the internet is here for, just ask your mechanic, he'll tell ya

Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

siberianrunner

1300 GT Shut Down

Just dropped my 1300GT to have the same problem repaired. The service manager thought it maybe caused by a problem in the idle sensor circuit. Will follow up as soon as I get the bike back from the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    That's true, Don. I should have looked at it from your side. Never hurts to see if others know what they have to do to fix it. That's what the internet is here for, just ask your mechanic, he'll tell ya

Gilly
    Gilly
    Maybe I am not being fair, BUT, I have three items that need to be taken care of:
    A)Fix the engine shut down problem
    B)12K Service
    C) New tires

If I dropped the bike off both B and C would be accomplished while A (under warranty) would be a could not duplicate or no fault balls were set. I really want the shut down issue resolved before doing the other work. We have enough folks with the same problem that it is possible we could get some serious troubleshooting done by BMW.

Don S

siberianrunner

K1300GT Shutting Down

Received a call today from the service manager at the dealership servicing my K1300GT. They have asked BMW for direction on the problem and have been informed by BMW that they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. With no indication of how long this will take the dealer has offered me the use of a demo bike until the problem is resolved.

A friend of mine has had this same problem with a V-Strom 1000 for a while. More than one suzuki shop has failed to really fix it. I'll bet BMW does no better.
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Quote Originally Posted by siberianrunner View Post
    Received a call today from the service manager at the dealership servicing my K1300GT. They have asked BMW for direction on the problem and have been informed by BMW that they are aware of the problem and are working on a solution. With no indication of how long this will take the dealer has offered me the use of a demo bike until the problem is resolved.
    Have you heard any more from your dealer???

Thanks

Don S

Angry K1200R Stalling/Shutting Down

Your post proves to me that BMW has no clue to the solution of this same problem that has been bugging me since 2006, and that it has carried over to the K1300 bikes. Look at the forum for BMW Superbikes about the topic of Stalling to read more about this all too common issue.
    David L Good

DCR, MOA, RA, VMO, AMA

Quote Originally Posted by dcrbmwc View Post
    Your post proves to me that BMW has no clue to the solution of this same problem that has been bugging me since 2006, and that it has carried over to the K1300 bikes. Look at the forum for BMW Superbikes about the topic of Stalling to read more about this all too common issue.
    They make it sound pretty simple-just remove the vacuum line from the filter to the cannister. Makes you wonder why BMW cannot come up with a fix since this problem is so prevalent on these bikes.

Don S

Sounds like software from Microsoft!!!!!!

I have written embedded software for years, now I have an easy job.

BUT, some things to think about

Does this happen when near cell phone, or radio/TV towers. Near High Voltage lines? Trucks with CB radios. Airports? When it happens try turning your cell phone/ radio even GPS and every other electronic divice you can think of off.

Altitude or temperature changes?

If course, they should be looking for loose wire connections. There is a very expensive chemical called stabilant 22A. It is a connection enhancer.

http://www.stabilant.com/

You can try cleaning all the connections with contact cleaner, then put some of this stuff on. It works like magic. I had one old Zilog development system for the Z-80 ( Yes, i am old) that needed the boards reseated every day. One treatment with this stuff, and it ran for many more years.

I had an 86 Monte Carlo SS that ran like crap when it rained. I treated all the under hood connections with this stuff, and the connector to the computer, Problem solved. I do not have it anymore, well I do, but DOG only knows where.

If for about $40, if it fixes it, i bet you will have free libations of your choice at every rally you attend, at least until your bottle runs dry.

If not, then someday you will have something that only works when you hit it (does not work on teenagers, I meant electronic) and if you can find where you put this stuff, it will fix it.

Be sure to post back

Good luck

Rod

In my case it did not happen in the first 4500 miles. It has happened at sea level(Fl) as well as at altitude(Co, Ut,) damp conditions as well as dry conditions. Full tank of gas as well as 1/4 full tank. Different brands of gas. Different octanes. I have spent quite a bit of time trying to isolate/identify a set of circumstances that causes this problem but have not been successful yet.

Don S

Quote Originally Posted by pakyohmeca View Post
    In my case it did not happen in the first 4500 miles

Don S
    4 cylinder bikes have some high frequency buzz. This is PERFECT for something called fretting corrosion in connectors. It makes connectors intermittent. All you need is one connector somewhere critical. It will get worse with age if this is it. I wish I could find that bottle. I would send it to someone with time to try it. This is one of the things you run into in cheap copy of connector designs. They copy the connector faithfully, but do not know about the factory installed lubricant. If this is it, it will only get worse with age, and then replacing any part will fix it, for a while.

It is an interesting subject to read up about. Google connector fretting corrosion.

Another problem could come from the no lead European directive (ROHS). Lead solder is a wonderful material, and the newer ones are inferior. Just suggesting. I have dealt with low level analog signals in outdoor environments for years, and it can be a real education.

I am glad I have a easy job now.

Rod