Thread: Chicago locksmith to cut K75 ignition key?

Chicago locksmith to cut K75 ignition key?

I have a blank key for my K75 but need a place to get it cut. Chicago BMW doesn't do it and also said they were unable to recommend someone who could.

I'm in the city, but I guess a suburban locksmith would work too...

That would be pretty simple to do. I bet even the local hardware store could do it, all you need is a good key, a blank key, and a key cutting machine.
    Gilly
    87 K75S, bought new, now sold
    07 K1200GT Bought new, now traded in
    13 C650GT
    MOA 44606

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    That would be pretty simple to do. I bet even the local hardware store could do it, all you need is a good key, a blank key, and a key cutting machine.
    Gilly
    The problem is that the BMW keys (and blanks) are made of steel and not brass link most keys you find in the U.S. I have only one locksmith in my area who will cut steel key blanks because the others say it's hard on their equipment.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

The local hardware store cut a folding head key for my K100RT. No questions or complaints and only cost $1 US (for the cut).

Same issue in Nashville

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    The problem is that the BMW keys (and blanks) are made of steel and not brass link most keys you find in the U.S. I have only one locksmith in my area who will cut steel key blanks because the others say it's hard on their equipment.
    I only found one old time locksmith that would try it and then only on one old machine in the shop.
    Took him two tries to get it right.
    Tom Baker
    2009 BMW R1200RT
    1970 Triumph Bonneville

ghostridery2k
    Quote Originally Posted by barooo View Post
    I have a blank key for my K75 but need a place to get it cut. Chicago BMW doesn't do it and also said they were unable to recommend someone who could.

I'm in the city, but I guess a suburban locksmith would work too...

i had mine k75 key done in vernon hills,il 60061.

karlock on rt 60 & aspen in vernon hills

847 875 7000

It doesn't need to be difficult with the classic K bikes. It does not need to be a BMW blank.

The K75 takes an Ilco SR61N key blank that any good lock shop will have or can get. Voni went down to the local lock shop the other day and had two spares made for her bike.

If you stop at a lock shop that has Taylor blanks and not Ilco then the K75 takes a Taylor B69K blank.

We have had spares made for our F650s and Oilheads too - The Oilhead uses an Ilco X140 -VL8 blank. I don't have my F650 keys with me but it is also an Ilco blank. Other key makers have equivilent blanks too.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 06-30-2009 at 07:25 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves