Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Closing Ceremonies, How big a deal

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    ...You know, many have a point about the praise laid out on nearly everyone casting a shadow in the 'MOA...It drags out(closing ceremonies) and can be done via the BMW'ON too, with a very fine written article with pictures. Some really cool entertainment thrown in would be a real nice boredom breaker at these events. Speed is the key, so maybe a GANG 'MOA thank you, all at once would get r done. Maybe? Put on a really great show and we get more enthused....Just thoughts, Randy PS; I still do every closing ceremony, its just in me to see it happen and the rally end.
    this is my point exactly and thanks for making it, randy.

we have our most involved and members sitting together, paying rapt attention. and we use that valuable time to put them to sleep with endless statistics?

while i certainly understand the need to recognize people and their achievements, there are other ways, ranging from a large graphics display that shows pics of the people and the T&A they won, to listings in the magazine.

to me, the closing ceremonies should be a show that culminates the whole experience of going to this rally and if we did that, we'd give people even more for their money than we already do.

ian

(either that, or bring back the Stoner girls.... )
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I think it should be a closing celebration. Save the best entertainment for the last night. Have a song, give an award. Have another song, draw a door prize., etc. It would be fun, people would not fall asleep or avoid it and the awards/presentations would be given out with people paying attention.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Well I decided to miss most of Saturday.

Looking at Streets and Trips (does anybody else do this when they are supposed to be working? :P ) for a place to stop Sat evening on the way to Dallas. Hmmm... Nashville, hmmm... What's this... Natchez Trace...

New plan. Leave the rally early Sat am., I-40 to Nashville to the Trace. Down the NT to Tupelo for Sat night. Sun am on the Trace to Jackson then b-line to Dallas via I-20.

As usual I try to put in too much for one trip!

Highlights for this trip will be besides the rally

Arkansas Ozarks
    Barber Vintage Motorsports Museum
    Tail of the Dragon and several other legendary roads in E. Tennessee
    Northern half of Natchez Trace
    Meet HD buddy in Dallas for the ride home to Denver.

cmartin

Heat

Dont forget the heat. It is going to be well into the 100's with heat index well above 100.
    Makes for hard riding.

Be prepaired.

I gave up on closing ceremonies some time ago. The never ending platitudes of the oldest bike not ridden to the rally and the youngest infant brought make me sick.

Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    I gave up on closing ceremonies some time ago. The never ending platitudes of the oldest bike not ridden to the rally and the youngest infant brought make me sick.
    I have a different take on closing ceremonies. All these rallies we all go to happen only because a large group of volunteers donate their time to make them possible. In some cases they will spend up to a year of what could be time riding or with family and friends to make it possible for their fellow riders to have a destination. They don't get anything out of this other than a feeling of accomplishment, maybe a hat or tshirt - and a Thank You. To me, the least that everyone who goes to a rally owes these people is that Thank You. That very few minutes where these folks can be recognized for all their work and effort. But for them, none of these things would be there for the rest of us. For me, it's easy work to sit through these ceremonies and realize that for every minute I spend they have spent dozens or hundreds of hours.
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Greg I can't argue with you as to the importance for showing proper appreciation for the folks that make the rally possible and happen.

I have always felt that the majority if not all of the distance, age and whatever else awards are a waste of time and sitting through them ads insult to injury.

I Used to Be Someone sheridesabeemer's Avatar
    If you look in the latest ON, you'll see the list of awards is significantly curtailed, I'd guess in an attempt to appease the folks who find them useless.

I for one enjoy them, three cheers for traveling 21,000 miles to the rally; yeah for the little 6 year old who clung to her dad for 600 miles to get to the rally - she must be so happy to get a mug or plaque and the attention. How cool for the couple who came two up on their old airhead, how you must have planned and prepped that bike. A round of applause for everyone who came to the rally and found a way to make someone else happy. And my sympathy to those of you who can't take some pride and joy in other's happiness.

Gail Hatch
    SheRidesABeemer's Blog
    05 R12GS
    87 K75CT

Quote Originally Posted by GregFeeler View Post
    I have a different take on closing ceremonies. All these rallies we all go to happen only because a large group of volunteers donate their time to make them possible. In some cases they will spend up to a year of what could be time riding or with family and friends to make it possible for their fellow riders to have a destination. They don't get anything out of this other than a feeling of accomplishment, maybe a hat or tshirt - and a Thank You. To me, the least that everyone who goes to a rally owes these people is that Thank You. That very few minutes where these folks can be recognized for all their work and effort. But for them, none of these things would be there for the rest of us. For me, it's easy work to sit through these ceremonies and realize that for every minute I spend they have spent dozens or hundreds of hours.
    +1,000.

Here, here!

I enjoy the closing ceremonies. I like to see how far people have come, how old, how young, how many - it shows the enthusiasm that people have for the rallies. And for those few who receive an award, they have a recognition of their accomplishment.

I may be a little biased (or maybe it is insight) since my son has won the youngest rider award twice. He will forever remember at age 15, riding his Ninja 250 from Texas to Vermont and back again, and receiving the plaque which is now on his bedroom wall. It brings back memories to me too when I see it.

This year my daughter will be riding her Ninja 250. She is certainly enthusiastic - she's already started to pack her gear. Whether she wins an award or not, she'll have a great time at the rally and will be watching the closing ceremonies with (almost) everyone else.

To me, along with volunteering, the closing ceremonies are all part of the rally experience.

Quote Originally Posted by gsmetal View Post
    I have NEVER understood the awards ceremony part of the closing ceramony.

Does anyone really care who's the "_________" (insert your obscure title here)?

Oldest sidecar rider
    Youngest passenger
    Rider that rode with a pet

The only reason people go to these is to be held hostage for the door prizes.
    I agree 100%.
    I'm a firm believer in short/sweet closing ceremonies!
    gsjay
    Jason Kaplitz
    Johnstown, Pa
    Laurel Highlands BMW Riders #294

Quote Originally Posted by mccodavj View Post
    I enjoy the closing ceremonies. I like to see how far people have come, how old, how young, how many - it shows the enthusiasm that people have for the rallies. And for those few who receive an award, they have a recognition of their accomplishment.

I may be a little biased (or maybe it is insight) since my son has won the youngest rider award twice. He will forever remember at age 15, riding his Ninja 250 from Texas to Vermont and back again, and receiving the plaque which is now on his bedroom wall. It brings back memories to me too when I see it.

This year my daughter will be riding her Ninja 250. She is certainly enthusiastic - she's already started to pack her gear. Whether she wins an award or not, she'll have a great time at the rally and will be watching the closing ceremonies with (almost) everyone else.

To me, along with volunteering, the closing ceremonies are all part of the rally experience.
    +1
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Perhaps for some of us it's sour grapes. I cannot ever see myself being in the running for any of the awards. It seems that at my age and place in life that I will never qualify to be awarded for attending the rally regardless of which combination of distance, passengers, member of the animal kingdom or age of machine that I manage to bring along.

I receive my great enjoyment from the anticipation, planning, riding and just being around my fellow enthusiasts at this great homecoming that I don't need to be bribed by a plaque or coffee cup to attend.
    We may not all be friends but in a large sense we are family at our big reunion.

I actually attended the closing ceremonies at the second Vermont Rally (first time since I swore off them at the first Vermont Rally) I was astonished/horrified to hear the story of an awardee who had spent months if not most of the prior year riding around the country apparently tallying up mileage for his total to the rally. As i remember it seemed as though he was never home but for very brief periods. Frankly I wondered if his wife had thrown him out or some other problem was evident. I still wonder if I should have enjoyed watching him be awarded for this accomplishment or feel sorry for him for the same reason. Share pride & joy in this? hardly.

Regardless, to me the closing ceremonies rank up there in torture with the Friday end of the day assemblies that I was forced to attend at good old Monticello Junior High school in ancient times. I suppose that some of my fellow inmates enjoyed sharing pride & joy in those extravaganzas that I never did.

Compared to the monotone reading of many many names of those being honored to a restless crowd,
    a really nice write up in the ON with pictures narrating the names of those pictured makes a wonderful permanent record of those who's volunteer efforts make the rally the wonderful reunion that it is.
    Last edited by amiles; 07-04-2009 at 04:05 PM.

Douglas Williams

Closing Wishes

I aspire to be the oldest rider some year and to win the grand prize. I just hope it's not the same year. Please wake me if they call my name.(Douglas Williams)

With all points in mind, I wonder if there isn't some way to tighten up the ceremony so that stuff like recognition still gets covered but also so that we don't put people to sleep with endless droning on. There's gotta be a way to do this.
    2012 R1200GS

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad