Thread: CANBus Wiring

CANBus Wiring

Does anyone know if the CANBus BMWs have VSS (Vehicle Speed Signal) and tachometer signal available. I'm looking at installing an aftermarket cruise control on mine and there isn't much information available on actual CANBus wiring.

Thanks, Mark

John Swiatek is doing a seminar about this at the national rally. Here is his email address, if you want to reach out to him. John Swiatek
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

I believe if VSS is the signal used to enable dead-reckoning in GPSs that support it (like the BMW Navigator-III) - the answer is - if it has a GPS cable - yes. There is a vehicle speed signal on the GPS connection on R1200XX series bikes.

Dunno on tachometer since I dunno how CanBus obtains the signal - and what your cruise control needs. Many cruise controls used a points type make/break signal to obtain engine RPM. I doubt if that signal is available. Since the newer CanBus bikes use direct ignition coils (stick coils on the plugs) - it might be difficult to obtain a signal from there...
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Thank you both for the input. It seems that information about modern electrical systems is somewhat difficult to come by (and I think that may be intentional). General information on CANbus concept and functionality is available, but specific vehicle wiring diagrams seem not to be.

Anyway, this was supposed to be a winter project, so there's no rush. I'll keep digging.

Mark

The Blue/Green wire on the optional accessory connector is a speed sensor output for GPS units.
    __________________________________________________ ____
    Motorcycle Visibility Lighting systems: Can You See Me Now?

Thanks jskene, I found the Blue/Green wire on the 3 pin connector. Now I just need to figure out what to do with it. Is this a pulse output? If so, how many pulses per mile? I'm thinking of just adding an external speed sensor, but I would prefer to use the built in one if possible.