Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: BMW gear.....

Just because I have not owned something does not mean I cannot have an opinion about it. I know many people that have purchased BMW gear and love it, while others have tried it and found that it did not last or work any better than lesser priced gear. Maybe I am just too practical and would rather spend the extra cash on other things that are more important to me.

When I bought my Belstaff gear, I could have purchased BMW gear for quite a substantially higher price. one of my friends did. I still use that same Belstaff gear, 30 years later. My friend replaced his BMW gear about 20 years ago....with Belstaff.

For your information, Belstaff was making motorcycle gear long before BMW ever did. They started making waterproof clothing in 1924 and have made gear specifically for motorcycling at that time. They have gone through many changes over the years, stopped selling to North America for a while, but they are still in business. Still making quality gear for reasonable prices.

When I bought my last Joe Rocket riding jacket, BMW had a similar one for about twice the price. I could not substantiate the extra cost when comparing the two. Both would do the exact same job and both were just as comfortable in the store and fit about the same. I saw no reason to pay the higher price. From my now 4 years with the Joe Rocket jacket, I see no wear on it other than it is now even more comfortable as it now seems to have formed to my body. I am certain that the BMW jacket would have done the same.

So, if all things are basically equal, I see no reason to pay 2-3 times the price just because it comes from the BMW store. Pricing for BMW stuff in Canada is really very crazy.

And the most comfortable gear I have is 30 year old leathers that I had custom made. Surprisingly, they still fit. The company that made them is still in business as well. If I ever feel I need to replace them, I will go back to Montreal and have another set made.
    Dave

you rule

Hey Dave i didn't realize that you were Canadian...good for you! I live about two hours from the border and visit and ride there as much as i can. To tell you the honest truth i have never met a Canadian i didn't like....you guys are so down to earth,real,friendly,caring and generally easy to get along with...Your cities are clean safe and enjoyable to visit and the woman are all so hot...Take care and if you are ever touring the north eastern part of the U.S. drop me a line..

Michael

I have the Tourance jacket. Great fit and really well made. I've been considering buying more gear used since a lot of riders change out their gear well before the stuff is worn. Some is even new with tags (NWT) because they ordered it online and can't/won't return it. Check the classifieds here and on other forums. There is a ton of it out there. You can save about 30-40% in most ads.

Quote Originally Posted by shire2000 View Post
    Just because I have not owned something does not mean I cannot have an opinion about it. I know many people that have purchased BMW gear and love it, while others have tried it and found that it did not last or work any better than lesser priced gear. Maybe I am just too practical and would rather spend the extra cash on other things that are more important to me.

When I bought my Belstaff gear, I could have purchased BMW gear for quite a substantially higher price. one of my friends did. I still use that same Belstaff gear, 30 years later. My friend replaced his BMW gear about 20 years ago....with Belstaff.

For your information, Belstaff was making motorcycle gear long before BMW ever did. They started making waterproof clothing in 1924 and have made gear specifically for motorcycling at that time. They have gone through many changes over the years, stopped selling to North America for a while, but they are still in business. Still making quality gear for reasonable prices.

When I bought my last Joe Rocket riding jacket, BMW had a similar one for about twice the price. I could not substantiate the extra cost when comparing the two. Both would do the exact same job and both were just as comfortable in the store and fit about the same. I saw no reason to pay the higher price. From my now 4 years with the Joe Rocket jacket, I see no wear on it other than it is now even more comfortable as it now seems to have formed to my body. I am certain that the BMW jacket would have done the same.
    So, if all things are basically equal, I see no reason to pay 2-3 times the price just because it comes from the BMW store. Pricing for BMW stuff in Canada is really very crazy.

And the most comfortable gear I have is 30 year old leathers that I had custom made. Surprisingly, they still fit. The company that made them is still in business as well. If I ever feel I need to replace them, I will go back to Montreal and have another set made.
    __________________________________________________ ______________

I have had just the opposite experience as you. I have owned 3 Joe Rocket mesh jackets. They all looked killer when new and they were priced right. After about 1 to 1.5 years they all did the same. The thread started to wear and unravel and they started to look cheap and like crap. I do not mind something looking worn or used and in fact I like that look, but thread unraveling, no . I also bought a Joe Rocket balistic jacket that looked great and the price was right. That thing however never did right. It would balloon up, was scratchy around the neck and just never felt good so I almost never wore it and finally gave it away. IMHO the Rocket gear I purchased for me and the wife, a total of 7 jackets, were made to a price and quality was not part of the plan. 2 years ago we bought a BMW venting machine jacket and have ridden as much with this 1 jacket as all of my Rocket gear put together. Yes it looks used and has so many bug guts on it that they won't all come out. BUT IT IS still quality and will last many more years. I also bought some olympia gear and it is much better than the rocket stuff and have been wearing it ( the AST jacket and ranger pants) for 3 years with more to come. Not sure why your rocket gear was so much better than mine but mine was budget priced and poor quailty and overall a low value.
    Last edited by PAPPY541; 09-15-2009 at 01:23 PM.

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KBasa View Post
    Don't confuse drinking the kool aid with having a different definition of value. I don't like to waste my money, but for the riding I do, the BMW stuff works very well and is worth the cash I've dropped on it.

Same with my 'stich. The current one is about 8 years old and just keeps going. It wasn't cheap at purchase, but value for me is defined by functionality, durability and protection balanced against cost over time.

It's interesting that you haven't ever owned any BMW stuff but feel free to make judgements about their efficacy.
    +1, Darien is 7 years old and gets used in the spring and fall and a Airflow 3 for the summer months. Quality stuff that I felt just fine spending the cash on!

'02 R1150RT

Quote Originally Posted by shire2000 View Post
    Hmmm, let's see, what BMW clothing have I ever owned? A couple of hats is all that comes to mind...

... So what? You can't tell me that just because a shirt, jacket or pants has the BMW logo on it makes it any better. Oh, and maybe someone should have a look into who actually makes that BMW clothing. As I recall, BMW is a manufacturer of motor vehicles, not in the textile industry. ...
    It's not for the BMW logo. it's a known fact that BMW make the best HATS in the world.