Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Servo-assisted brakes

Servo lover here

I had an 04 RT bought new and now ride an 06 RT purchased used. Both have servo assisted brakes and I wouldn't be without them on anything. My 4 wheel vehicles also have "Linked" ABS power brakes and are much appreciated.

One thing: If you have it, USE IT! Learn how the bike reacts to a full on panic stop from fifty or sixty mph. Most people never really use the brake systems to their full advantage due to fear of hurting the system somehow. That is folly. If you don't practice panic stops how on earth will you be able to stop in a panic situation?
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Quote Originally Posted by 182446 View Post
    I wish someone would state the years and the models of BMWs that came with this terrible system so I and everyone I know can avoid them.
    I think all the boxers and K bikes had servo brakes from 2002 to sometime in 2007. Maybe someone can tell you the exact dates.

I looked at the parts fiche for a couple bikes and it shows the pressure modulator until Aug 2006.
    Last edited by Lee; 01-05-2013 at 12:48 AM.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I think all the boxers and K bikes had servo brakes from 2002 to sometime in 2007. Maybe someone can tell you the exact dates.

I looked at the parts fiche for a couple bikes and it shows the pressure modulator until Aug 2006.
    RTs stopped using the servo thingy after the 2004 year. I like it, it works great. But then again, I have not had to any $$$$ to deal with a failure yet, knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by id09542 View Post
    RTs stopped using the servo thingy after the 2004 year. I like it, it works great. But then again, I have not had to any $$$$ to deal with a failure yet, knock on wood.
    Incorrect: My 06 RT still has them I'm happy to say. Model Yr. 07 didn't get them AFIK.
    Marty - in the western Oregon mountains.'06RT, (gone '04RT, '86 Venture Royal, '81 Yamaha Virago920, '82Suzuki GS1100GK, '76 Suzuki GT750, Triumph 750 Bonneville, BSA Road Rocket 650, 61" Harley knucklehead)

Rally Rat
    ModuleMaster now rebuilds the BMW ABS pumps for most models and gives a better guarantee than BMW when new. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=852577. I do not believe they can yet source all the parts for the servo pumps, but am not sure.

04 1150 RT Braking n a turn

Evo braking.
    I've read that these brakes don't work on a turn. Why not?

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by 164809 View Post
    Evo braking.
    I've read that these brakes don't work on a turn. Why not?

Peter
    The brakes don't know if you're in a turn or not. Typical of a single track vehicle. They work the same as long as tires have traction, when tires lose all traction brakes are superfluous.

Nickname: Droid
    Simply amazing what some people post on the net, meaning the comment about Servo-Assist brakes not working in a turn. Now, this is not pointing at the person who posted the comment, but obviously whoever originated that comment did not know anything about motorcycle brakes and physics.

Now, if the comment was made because the originator mistook Servo-Assist brakes for ABS brakes, then yes, there are limitations to what brakes can do in a turn when leaned over and the ABS control is engaged. But the BMW Servo-Assist brakes work at any time, any surface, any lean angle, just like normal cycle brakes. BUT, you do have to aware of the effect of the power assist aspect of the Servo-Assist anytime you are in a position of using too much traction.

Quote Originally Posted by MPMARTY View Post
    I had an 04 RT bought new and now ride an 06 RT purchased used. Both have servo assisted brakes and I wouldn't be without them on anything. My 4 wheel vehicles also have "Linked" ABS power brakes and are much appreciated.

One thing: If you have it, USE IT! Learn how the bike reacts to a full on panic stop from fifty or sixty mph. Most people never really use the brake systems to their full advantage due to fear of hurting the system somehow. That is folly. If you don't practice panic stops how on earth will you be able to stop in a panic situation?
    You are just the guy I need to talk with, because I am negotiating on an '03 R1150RT that has the servo-assisted linked brakes. ALL my riding experience has been with conventional brakes and non-integrated, non-assisted ABS. The idea of coming to a stop at the bottom of a dirt / gravel road, on which I would normally NOT use any front brake (light & gradual rear, only), and having the front caliper activated sounds like an opportunity for the front end to "dish out" and land me and my expensive bike bodywork on the ground.
    Likewise, I took the "Ride Like a Pro" course (ALL low speed) which involved offset cone weaves, the "iron cross" (4-consecutive U-turns) and a low-speed slolum on my Super Glide, and modulated the clutch, throttle and rear brake (no front brake), passing the course with flying colors. In the June, '01, Cycle World, Don Canet, professional test rider and veteran of thousands of U-turns for photo shoots, dumped the 1150RT in the middle of a U-turn, because he "feathered" the rear brake.
    I've got ABS on my FJR1300, but the brakes are not linked. I'm thinking of backing away from the '03, despite its pristine condition and low (29K) mileage. BTW, I do practice panic stops. It's the low speed and poor surface stuff that worries me.
    Thanks!

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I've ridden my oilhead for 6 years with servo assisted brakes. I don't even think about them because they do their job without fanfare. I also have an airhead with conventional brakes and a maxi-scooter where the rear brake is on the left hand lever. I go from one to the other automatically without thinking. The oilhead brakes takes far less effort and I don't have to wonder if I am using the rear brake enough or too much on the others.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcyclewriter View Post
    In the June, '01, Cycle World, Don Canet, professional test rider and veteran of thousands of U-turns for photo shoots, dumped the 1150RT in the middle of a U-turn, because he "feathered" the rear brake.
    Maybe the RT he was riding had fully linked brakes. The RT had fully linked brakes for a couple years, but I don't remember what years. Maybe someone who knows will chime in. When the brakes are fully linked, both the front and rear brakes are applied when the rear pedal is pressed. Same when using the front lever, both brakes will be applied.
    Most of the BMWs after a few years went to partially linked brakes. That's what we had on our K1200RSs and now on our K1300Ss. On the partially linked brakes if you press the rear brake pedal, only the rear brake is applied. Pressing the front lever will apply both brakes. You will also see the linked brakes referred to as Part Integral and Full Integral.
    We had servo brakes on our K1200RSs and do not have them on the K1300Ss. The servo brakes worked good and it only took a couple rides for both of us to get used to them. Given the choice I would prefer to not have servo brakes because of the extra maintenance involved.

I did a Google search for the RT and it looks like he R1150RT had Full Integral brakes in 2002, 2003, and 2004. In 2005 the R1200RT came equipped with Part Integral brakes
    Last edited by Lee; 01-13-2013 at 06:29 PM.
    Lee 2011 K1300S
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT