Thread: Campgrounds NS/NB?

Campgrounds NS/NB?

My son and I are headed to Cape Brenton via NB July 5.
    He wants to camp ( my idea of camping is get the MC out) and I am looking for suggestions as to campgrounds and am still looking at routes.

Also looking to find a cell phone company that works in Canada. I had Sprint/.Nextel the last trip up and didn't have any service at all past Calise.

Thanks
    Bill Kenney
    Foster,RI
    Bill K
    Foster,RI
    05 R1200RT

My idea of camping is a hotel - so i can't help you there, however Rogers is a common carrier in NE Canada i.e. NB and NS, may want to check them out see if you can be supported by them.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAST54 View Post
    My son and I are headed to Cape Brenton via NB July 5.
    He wants to camp ( my idea of camping is get the MC out) and I am looking for suggestions as to campgrounds and am still looking at routes.

Also looking to find a cell phone company that works in Canada. I had Sprint/.Nextel the last trip up and didn't have any service at all past Calise.
    There are MANY places where you'll get no cell service, no matter the carrier. I mostly use Sprint with the "Canada Roaming" option since I go to Canada frequently. I also carry an AT&T phone. One is CDMA and the other is GSM. That said, if one doesn't work, the other prolly doesn't either. I'm told that Rogers and AT&T are affiliated.

For camping, Provincial Campgrounds are excellent. Seek them out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nova_Scotia_Parks
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

TravelsWithBarley.com
    One campground I would definitely recommend as a must do experience is Meat Cove on the north end of Cape Breton. One of the best spots I've ever pitched a tent. Stunning scenery!

One campground I'll avoid for the rest of my life is Murphy's Cove just north of Halifax. Big RVs with generators running all night. Dozens of college kids puking and shouting all night. Mosquitos galore. No store within miles and $2+ Snickers bars in the camp store.

YMMV

PS: I had very little cell coverage beyond Halifax.
    '07 R1200GS for solo rides
    '10 R1200GSA with Hannigan dual sport sidecar for rides with Barley

Thanks for the replies folks, Keep em coming.
    Bill K
    Foster,RI
    05 R1200RT

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    One campground I would definitely recommend as a must do experience is Meat Cove on the north end of Cape Breton. One of the best spots I've ever pitched a tent. Stunning scenery!
    +1 Minor caution though...don't choose a spot too far down the hill. It can be hard to get the bike back up on the slippery grass. This advice is from the campground tender. Even parked here, next to the green tent, I spun the wheel quite a bit.

Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

RK Ryder
    When you reach a tourist information centre in Nova Scotia, ask about camping in university residences. Not as posh as a hotel, nor as pricey, but a little cushier than sleeping on a thermarest. Some even supply breakfast. Being a little slow, it took me until the second night to figure out why there were no urinals in the washrooms/showers. Then it hit me; I was staying in a woman's residence.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

I love Canadian Provincial Parks, they are without a doubt the cleanest, best tended campgrounds I have ever used. I too am looking at a trip up there, maybe in August, and put this collection of all the Provincial Parks with Campgrounds together in that whole area - it is not complete as I still need to add the National Parks like Cape Breton but it is a good start.

For some reason when I converted from Garmin Waypoint file to .kmz to import into GoogleMaps it lost all the URLs and phone numbers, but the websites are:
    NS - http://www.novascotiaparks.ca/
    NB - http://www.nbparks.ca
    and Canadian National Parks: http://www.pc.gc.ca/progs/np-pn/index_e.asp

If you want the waypoint list, drop me a PM.

This is from that 1996 trip - the Cheticamp campground in Cape Breton Highlands National Park, cannot recommend it enough.

And you will not want to miss Meat Cove, also from the 1996 trip - I wonder if the little "WARNING - Tent Openings Away From Cliff" sign is still there at the campground check-in

Ted
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages