Thread: RainX question....

Question RainX question....

Okay...pardon the ignorance, but is it okay to use RainX on the windshield of my K1200LT? I know it works great on glass, but I'm not willing to put it on the windshield (which isn't glass) until I've gotten some feedback from the collective wisdom of the group. Anyone else using RainX on their bikes?

quick answer is no, per the warnings. It's not recommended for acrylics...I will update this post when I remember what we do use...good for visors and windshields...sold at our local dealer. Other products listed in this thread are good...I use Plexus as well, but this product I mention acts a lot like rain-x but is made for acrylics

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...348#post459348
    Last edited by henzilla; 06-22-2009 at 07:32 PM. Reason: add info
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Manfred
    I've been using Rejex for about a year. It's designed for aircraft windshields and does a great job of polishing and providing a slippery surface so bugs don't stick as easily.

Plexus works pretty good also
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

A year or so ago I got a sample of a product called "Raincoat" which was touted to work like RainX but formulated for plastic. http://www.motosolutions.com/raincoat.html

I intended to write a review of it for ON so I cleaned my bike shield and helmet shield and applied Raincoat to one half of each shield and went for a ride in the rain.

I couldn't tell any difference in the way the water shed off the treated side versus the untreated side. I should mention, of course, that I had used Plexus to clean the shields before the Raincoat application and that may explain why I didn't see any improvement. But if that's the case and since I always use Plexus anyway the Raincoat didn't do it for me. And I didn't write the review.

Till now.

John

If you have an aeroflow you can use it.
    Jason
    Give a hand. http://www.akitas.org

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by vectorprime27 View Post
    Okay...pardon the ignorance, but is it okay to use RainX on the windshield of my K1200LT? I know it works great on glass, but I'm not willing to put it on the windshield (which isn't glass) until I've gotten some feedback from the collective wisdom of the group. Anyone else using RainX on their bikes?

I've used it on bike windscreens and faceshields, despite the warnings. It works okay and does no immediate damage, but I didn't consider it to be worth the effort. I also don't care for it on glass. YMMV.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

Meguiar's makes a great three-part cleaner/restorer for motorcycle windshields, faceshields, etc. (also works great on convertible top clear vinyl windows.)

The #10 polish is the deep cleaner, restorer. Gets rid of scratches, swirls and fogging.

The #17 cleaner follows up on the #10 and makes the screen look brand new.

The #18 is the maintenance polish/cleaner, keeps it looking new, keeps water beading and rolling right off, and makes it much easier to remove bugs. Also comes in a smaller spray bottle that fits nicely in a tank bag.
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

+1 The mirror glaze is good stuff.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

Hot water;

Good hot water on a rag cleans bugs off quite nice, too. I use Honda Cleaner in a spray can. I did the RainX once on a KLT and got quite WET from the rain slipping around my windscreen. All that rain slides so much easier around the shield with that stuff on there. I did not like it. Randy,,,PS;works really good on a car, however.

Chromehead
    Clearview says Rain-X is OK for their shields too. I use it on my faceshields , and my van and truck. I especially like to have it on my mirrors. That's pretty handy.

Forgot who told me but I use lemon Pledge furniture polish on my Cee Bailey. Has to be lemon.