Thread: locks? Theft deterrent or waste of time/money?

locks? Theft deterrent or waste of time/money?

I have a K75 I'm going to be parking on the street in Chicago. This isn't ideal, but I think it'll work. My plan was to cover the bike with a ratty old cover, and just hope that the fact that it's an older bike that isn't a japanese sportbike or a harley will be enough of a deterrent.

Anyone suggest a lock? I don't think it'd be feasible to lock it to something, and I'm not even certain that's legal. But would a U-lock or some sort of specialized lock help improve my odds? And if so, anyone recommend a particular model?

I'm going to look for a garage spot to rent (my condo has no parking), but it may be a while before I find something. In the winter I have a friend in the suburbs that'll let me store the bike there.

Mine sits unmolested in the middle of beautiful downtown Dayton Oh 9-5 every day.
    Old beemers seem to have built in anti-theft properties. The ratty cover is a good
    idea, and don't leave anything of value under the seat or in the bags. Maybe take off
    the bags. Don't lock the seat or bags, just something else you'll have to fix. Disc locks
    are effective and compact. Vandalism will probably be you biggest problem, anything
    from keying the tank to torching it. Good luck!
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

It is said and I believe a lock only keeps an honest man honest. But a lock also make a lazy thief look for a easier target .Lock her with everything you can would be my suggestion. Make them want to go to the next bike or car.

The old cover sounds good also. Hope you find parking.

R and R
    R and R

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Once the sun gets over the yardarm folks from Boston, NYC and the rest of the right coast megalopolis should be able to offer suggestions.

Ray
    http://www.bikebone.com/page/BBSC/PR...isc-lock/XR1-C
    I bought this 2 years ago at the insistence of the PO. Locks through the holes in the disk brake on my airhead. Never used it, but it did bounce around a bit in my tool tray, so the cloth case is a bit frayed. I can send you pics. $50
    Ray

BUBBAZANETTI
    Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    Once the sun gets over the yardarm folks from Boston, NYC and the rest of the right coast megalopolis should be able to offer suggestions.
    yeah, no forum before 8am for me

a kryptonite u lock or disc lock couldn't hurt, they take a second to put on and are another visible form of deterrent.

I have used two types of locks

1 is a disc lock - but once i forgot it was on and tore up my fender pretty good

2 is a Kryptonite plastic encased steel cable lock - this I run thru the front wheel and around the exhaust.

Mostly as a reminder for me

Here is the link to one which is very similar to mine.

https://www.kryptonitelock.com/produ...=1001&pid=1183
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

jobee58
    I think locks make sense. I mean who wants to lift a BMW? I had a sturdy plastic covered chain/lock as well, and wrapped it around the rear wheel and center stand.

I just bought a heavy duty cable type lock. I plan on putting it around the front tire and the center stand so the bike cannot be taken off the center stand. If you put it around the back tire, you can still take it off the center stand. A profession thief might be able to cut the cable (25mm dia) but most will not. And the GSA is a bit much for the average thief to pick up and carry while it is still on the center stand. I'm not sure yet, but I think it will be difficult to take the front tire off so you could get the center stand down.
    '09 BMW 1200 GSA, 2013 BMW 700GS, 2000 Goldwing SE, '09' V Star 950, '09 Honda Rebel,
    '77 Honda 750A. Holding at six til I get new garage built - need more room for more bikes!

You might consider moving to eastern KY where nobody would want a BMW bike...

If you were raised by wolves and killed a b'ar when you were 3, nobody's gonna mess
    with your scooter. But why the wussy little girly K75?
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up

Quote Originally Posted by 35634 View Post
    If you were raised by wolves and killed a b'ar when you were 3, nobody's gonna mess
    with your scooter. But why the wussy little girly K75?
    LOL. I've gotten a decent amount of gruff over the way the bike sounds from my harley-riding friend, I think "giggling" was the description... But I like it. Smooth, clean lines, and bulletproof. And it fits the budget and the immediate needs. Down the road I plan to get an R1200GS.

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Locks, even big locks, are delaying tactics at best. There was a You Tube video a year or two ago that showed a dozen of the biggest ones I've seen cut to pieces in a matter of seconds. I went looking but couldn't find the link.

It wouldn't stop me from locking the bike, but it did stop me from paying big bucks for a cable lock.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

I have a K75, live and work in NYC and never use a lock when I street park (bike is public garage parked 80% of the time). Nobody wants my bike when there are so many shiny new Sporties in the area.

Quote Originally Posted by tessler View Post
    I have a K75, live and work in NYC and never use a lock when I street park (bike is public garage parked 80% of the time). Nobody wants my bike when there are so many shiny new Sporties in the area.
    Could be the only folks who want BMW's would rather buy than steal them
    1987 K75S
    Original litter
    Original owner
    2012 Ural Gear Up