Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Traveling with a Laptop

Quote Originally Posted by TexanRT View Post
    Have you ever had trouble with the hard drive after a ride? I ask because on a recent trip one of the guy's laptops wouldn't boot. After another day the video card wouldn't work. It was stored in the top case during the 4-day trip inside a protective sleeve -- but apparently that wasn't enough.
    Be sure to power all the way down so that there is no movement on the harddrive. Do not leave the computer in "sleep" or "snooze" mode, but shut it down. This will protect your harddrive.

I put mine between clothes too...haven't had a problem yet....but I do back up the computer!

I have a model 30 Panasonic toughbook I use in my auto shop. I like it because i can strap it to the outside of the cases if I want! Got to love armored, waterproof, drop resistant laptops! Heavy? Yep. But I can use it as a step stool too!
    Jason
    Give a hand. http://www.akitas.org

I carry my powerbook in a Pelican notebook case. They are pricy but hay they protect what ever is in them. The ones I have fit in the side bags, can also be strapped to the back seat or rack and is water proof to 30 feet or so. I truly believe in the event of a getoff the computer will survive even if the bike does not.

Hairsmith
    2000 R1150GS
    1983 R100RS

Hairsmith, that's certainly a serious case. I like the concept of the laptop having a good amount of protection from both impact and water/moisture.

I've noted a number of you claim you put your laptops in your side case(s). Is this preferable or better than flat, horizontal storage?

I've been traveling on motorcycles with laptops since at least 1990. That was with a Toshiba plug-in-only monstrosity with a plasma screen. Ugh. Most of laptop traveling was pre-retirement in 1996. I still take a laptop with me when going to be on the road for more than 2 days.

I've never had an issue related to traveling with the Toshiba, ThinkPad (pre Lenovo), or Fujitsu laptops I've used. I do turn the computer off (not sleep) before stuffing it in a slightly padded slip case. These days I use a small Fujitsu Lifebook that packs with my clothes.

I drive to work (about 80 miles round trip) everyday with my laptop(macpro 15.4)...

I use the Top case on the RT, and it really is the only thing I regularly use the top case for.. it comes off on weekends

To protect the laptop, its in an incase http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/cl57186 hardcase, and then is in my selected 'book bag" the aerostich courier bag http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...g-p-16140.html. This bag fits perfectly in the top case, and if the weather is nice I can just leave the top case off a drive with it over my shoulder to work.

Hope this helps
    Chris
    2009 R12RT
    1995 K75 (traded to a good home)
    1985 Rockwell International B-1B

For the last 3 years I've carried a Toshiba laptop with me on most of my trips. I pack it vertically in the top case with a small amount of padding around it. I've never had a problem.

NewEgg has a 2.5" 64g SSHD on sale today for $119, free shipping, even includes a kit for use in a desktop.

Prices are falling, this was on sale for $150 just a month or two ago
    Ted
    "A good stick is a good reason"
    1994 K75RT
    Moto Pages

Most of my previous travel with laptop has been strictly for Email management.

I can now do that with my iPhone, so no more laptop travel.
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

Quote Originally Posted by tessler View Post
    Hairsmith, that's certainly a serious case. I like the concept of the laptop having a good amount of protection from both impact and water/moisture.

I've noted a number of you claim you put your laptops in your side case(s). Is this preferable or better than flat, horizontal storage?
    Hoizontal storage incrases the risk of screen damage unless it is packed on top of stuff in a top case.

Vertical offers more options.

Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    Hoizontal storage incrases the risk of screen damage unless it is packed on top of stuff in a top case.

Vertical offers more options.
    Thanks, Rob. Good to know!

In researching some options for protection (and again, thanks to everyone for their great suggestions), I'm considering purchasing this Sea-Line Laptop Sleeve (and then storing the protected laptop in my side case).

Has anyone had experience with this or a similar product?

That looks like a perfect bag for your needs.

I always carry my laptop in my right side case, so it is not right over the muffler.
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Director - Ambassador
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

I currently use a 17" HP dv9700ec and carry it fully padded in the sidecase or in a Targus "Messenger Bag" laptop bag strapped to the co-rider backrest. The Targus bag has also been modified with the addition of straps so it can carried as a backpack if I want to. If I'm carrying a sleeping bag, I have wrapped it up in the bag which is then strapped to the co-rider seat. Been doing it this way for two years now with no problems or malfunctions ...
    There's nothing I can't do, only things I won't ...

I carry my netbook in a RED stocking cap. Takes up no room and does double duty on cold nights in the campground.

Voni
    sMiling
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles