Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: 2010 Rally Location

Halifax and Larry's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
    'retired' in four working days. Time and distance do not matter. Second time for long distance two up award for the same place -Bob
    saltyfogriders@gmail.com
    Salty Fog Riders Motorcycle Tourism Promotions
    Larry's River, Nova Scotia, CANADA

Low speed, high drag
    Quote Originally Posted by tourunigo View Post
    'retired' in four working days. Time and distance do not matter. Second time for long distance two up award for the same place -Bob
    CONGRATULATIONS, Bob!

Only fifteen years to go until I'm retired... as long as they don't change the retirement requirements on me.

That happened to my dad about six months before he was planning on retiring. He ended up putting in another five years, to add ten combined age/service years before he retired... and they thought he was a disgruntled employee BEFORE they changed the rules!

Thumbs up Rallies are an excuse to travel and ride

I was just reading some of the posts about next year's Rally in Redmond. I can't quit smiling at the excuse it provides to ride out to the Left Coast another time.

I've ridden to the Northwest several times, and each event has been a great experience. If you can get the time away from your bridge club, Parent/Teacher or 12-Step meetings, I recommend it.

Last time we were in Redmond, I took it as an excuse to ride to see Crater Lake, Mt. St. Helens, the Oregon Coast, visit friends in Seattle, and take the ferry to Victoria and ride up to Port Hardy on Vancouver Island. Please don't make me do this again! Please don't throw me into the berry patch.

Everyone has a different way to approach an MOA Rally. For some, it's a chance to bitch. Me? I'll have a grin stuck across my face - so wide - that you can't change it.

Now, I gotta start wondering if my 110,000 mile GS needs a new one to haul my sorry ass out there? Some bike will.

Low speed, high drag
    Quote Originally Posted by jimshaw View Post
    Everyone has a different way to approach an MOA Rally. For some, it's a chance to bitch. Me? I'll have a grin stuck across my face - so wide - that you can't change it.
    Very well said!!!

I had to miss the last Redmond due to limited vacation time when I was living in Michigan. I'm now living out here in the wonderfull PNW and thanks to economy have been able to put on about 8k so far this season, most of it in northern Oregon.
    It's the best riding I've ever found. Very light traffic and miles of curves, both veritcal and horizontal. The Oregon highway engineers must be riders.
    Looking forward to 2010. Deb knows how to pitch a wang dang doodle.
    Ron R

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    this is a *massive* understatement.

add to that, the facility there is excellent for our rally.
    For the off-pavement crowd, it especially doesn't get much better.

Would it be bad to lead a GS ride on my Husky?

No offense to the site selected as I found it to be real nice for the last rally there, but why not try something new. I thought they would wait at least three years to have another western rally, since Gillette, Wyoming was last year. How about one in Maine for example? How about southern Indiana or Kentucky? If it has to be in the west, how about Colorado or New Mexico? One of the reasons I go to the national is to look at all the new stuff vendors have. Unfortunately, when there is a western rally, many of the vendors do not make it.

Quote Originally Posted by tonynace View Post
    No offense to the site selected as I found it to be real nice for the last rally there, but why not try something new. I thought they would wait at least three years to have another western rally, since Gillette, Wyoming was last year. How about one in Maine for example? How about southern Indiana or Kentucky? If it has to be in the west, how about Colorado or New Mexico? One of the reasons I go to the national is to look at all the new stuff vendors have. Unfortunately, when there is a western rally, many of the vendors do not make it.
    +1 On Kentucky or Indiana. I do love Kentucky.
    "During Prohibition I survived on nothing but food and water." - W.C. Fields

Rally sites rotate regions each year. In recent years the regions have changed. I am not certain if the 2010 rally is under the old or new regional system.

After regions site selection becomes problematic in terms of availability for when we hold our International Rally and the sites within a region that can or are willing to host it.
    Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Yeah +2 on Kentucky & Indiana !
    Ed Apelian
    When Life Throws You a Curve Lean into it!
    2002 BMW R1150GS - (sold) Replaced with '12 R1200GSA Magma Red!
    2006 R1200RT- Granite Gray

Low speed, high drag

Angry

Hmmm... it's in Tennesee this year.

Yep, having it in Kentucky next year would be a big change! I can already hear people bellyaching about Kentucky. "Geez, we were just in Tennesee last year. We should go to Oregon, or something."

I hear everyone's concerns, many of which are valid. I perhaps have concerns of my own. However, I hope I never catch myself bellyaching publicly about where the rally is being held.

I see three valid options:
    1) Go where the rally is, no matter what.
    2) Go to select rallies, based on the attractiveness/convenience of the location (to you).
    3) Get together with your club, riding buddies, Chamber of Commerce, etc. and organize a pitch (working through "the process") for hosting the rally at the location of your choice.

Frankly, I found all the grousing about Gillette last year to be rather disrespectful of the efforts of the folks volunteering untold hours to make it happen.

I will continue to attend as I can, and pitch in (however insignificantly) by volunteering a few hours at registration, etc., between other activities.

I'm not picking on any particular member/poster, but it seems that grousing about the rally location is an Olympic sport around here. This observation is coming from a cynical, negative, pessimist!

As I was told at the RA ralling in Michigan last year, "Rally On, Dudes!"

We should have the Rally location list and the map with the locations and regions.

For those of us in the west, Wyoming is "east".

We continue to add new locations, but going to a known location makes the logistics of running the rally about a hundred times more efficient and at least that much easier. We were last there almost ten years ago, so it's time.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Quote Originally Posted by widebmw View Post
    We should have the Rally location list and the map with the locations and regions.
    The list of previous locations is in the front of your Anonymous Book. The zones are pretty much the time zones.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

Talking

I lived in the northwest through all of the 90s, covered that area pretty well on a string of different bikes. Lots of the prettiest places in this country are out that way, and most of the rest of 'em are on the way, or on the way back- or could be, with a little creative routing.

I missed the first Redmond party- I had just moved back east, had a new ball & chain, and couldn't do justice to such an excursion. I've been jealous of those who did go ever since.......

Stumbled across this thread in the wee hours of a night too warm to sleep through.....already got it on my calendar, got my maps out, thinking about which bike to take- and can't stop smiling! Like a kid in a penny-candy store, with $20 and mom's not looking.......

Any excuse at all to revisit some of these beautiful places is good reason to grin!

Now.....how to get there? how to get back? how long can I get away with being on the road, and who can I bring with me?

Phil Keppelman #20331
    MOA Rally Stage Manager
    The shortest distance between two points.............
    ain't how I got here......