Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 1200 battery problems

battery problems?

I have a K1200R 2006, Owned since new, 34000 mi, still on original battery, I use battery charger once a month only during the winterf lay up. during the summer I have had NO issue with the battery or charging system. The bike may sometimes sit 2 weeks with no use. No issues, NO starting problems. You have something wrong this is not normal.

This is what ended up happening

I bit the bullet and bought a new battery and it is a good thing I did. The stock Exide battery had a bulge on both sides of one of the cells. Apparently one of the cells had gone bad. Went to the local dealer and they sold me a Yuasa battery for $102 out the door with an adapter so I can connector a charger to it without having to remove the cover.

I installed everything and it started right up. I even hooked up the charger for a couple hours to the new adapter and life is good!

My K1200R does not get ridden near as much (10%) as the GS. For some reason I tend to go faster on the K1200R so it goes out on feel good days on the weekend....preferably early. The lack of riding clearly took a toll on the battery so I will try to ride at least once a week. This should help things out.
    2000 K1200LT
    2001 R1150GS
    2009 KLR650

Aloha ka kou

Is it my gel battery???

Has anyone else had this problem?
    Last summer, I rode from S. Carolina to the Hoover Dam without incident, but after stopping at the dam for refreshments, my K bike would not start...nothing!!! Just the brake light indicator came on but otherwise, nothing. However, when my tow came about 4 hours later, the bike started right up??? It did it again a week later when I drove from Las Vegas to Barstow. Both times, the BMW dealership could not find anything wrong, even though the bike was not functioning when they received it the 2nd time. While I was at a rally in Wa., I was told by other beemers that the problem is probably my gel battery???

PowderkegPete

Battery Problems

I have a K1200S -- a year and a half post delivery. So far, no problems with the OEM battery.

When I put the bike away for the winter I did put it on a charger - a BMW charger that I bought online from a BMW dealer. I had been told that anything other than a BMW charger would damage my battery and only a BMW charger would allow me to charge through the accessory port.

When I received my "BMW" charger I was surprised to find that it looked identical to my Battery Tender Plus charger except for the Beemer logo on the front. On the back, the label said, "Made by Deltrans," the maker of Battery Tenders. I removed the cover and checked inside. All the components are identical in both the Deltrans Battery Tender Plus and the "BMW" battery charger. The kits differed only in that the "BMW" charger included the lead for the accessory port.

When I tried to charge through the accessory port, no dice. I learned that post 2004 bikes won't charge through the accessory port because of the CANBUS.

My bottom line advice to anyone out there needing a battery charger for a post 2004 Beemer is to buy a Deltrans Battery Tender Plus. It is identical to the BMW charger (made by Deltrans) except that it won't have the accessory port lead that does not work for charging on post 2004 bikes. Install the ring terminal leads by hard-wiring them to your battery. Charge your battery by by plugging the charger into the offset SAE connector at the end of the ring terminal leads and leave it connected except for when you go riding. Both Deltrans and the Deltrans/BMW chargers are compatible with lead acid, gel and matte batteries.

Pete

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Did you plug in the tender, turn on the key and then turn the key off? That should allow charging at the accessory jack in that the jack will then stay hot while it charges.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

PowderkegPete

Key ON/OFF

Cjack,

Wasn't aware that one could do the key trick. I'll try it. Frankly, with the ring terminal pigtail hard-wired to my battery with its convenient SAE connector, I don't see a lot of advantage, if any, charging through the accessory port. I charge with the key off.

Pete

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Me too...directly to the battery. It was interesting as to just what BMW had in mind though and how they did it. I thought at first that only the BMW charger (the over $120 dollar one) some how was necessary to keep the port open when the key was turned off, but it turned out that any charge current thru the port would keep it open until the charger went to float. Add to that, I think the characteristics of the port operation has changed from '05 until now.
    I just put a charging wire onto the battery as you however. I actually use the Gerbings pigtail which I need there anyway...and it's fused, etc.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

Please go to this site and look at the application guide:

http://www.odysseyfactory.com/powersports.html

PC680 for the K1200RS,LT sealed unit.

The ODYSSEY?« battery can handle it.
    Featuring rugged construction and packed tightly with pure lead plates, the non-spillable AGM design ODYSSEY battery protects against the shock and vibration that can quickly destroy other batteries. And the pure lead plates mean more powerÔÇötwice the overall power and three times the life of conventional batteriesÔÇöup to 400 cycles at 80% depth of discharge!

BMW does not make batteries or chargers they just slap there emblem on what they approve. Granted they only approve quality stuff but you will pay for the privilage of having there logo on your purchase.
    1974 R75/6 W Sidecar
    1989 R100GS

ksport
    K1200R Sport 2 yrs old. Battery died and I use battery tender. But I was lucky had about a month left on warranty, dealer replaced it.

Clay
    Quote Originally Posted by mrreese View Post
    Just picked up a new leftover '08 K1200S and I'm having an issue with the battery. The dealer tells me that if the bike is left dormant for more than 2 days, it must be hooked up to a tender. Supposedly the computer's draw is enough to drain a fully charged battery in a matter of days. This sounds absurd, since my other BMW's can sit for 2 months with no charger, and still start. Any feedback on this will be appreciated.
    There has been some discussion of this over on the i-bmw.org site..seems that a few have found that their ABS modual was at fault and remained on and did not cycle off after the key was in the off position thus there was a drain of the battery. It was found by a BMW Tech Rep that was called in to diagnose the problem.

I had an accessory mounted option with a relay that had shorted to the on position that drained my battery on my '08 K1200S. Problem was discovered by my local dealer after bike didn't start after sitting for about a week..fyi..battery was replaced under warranty by same dealer...

Regards,

Clay
    Kimberton,Pa.