Thread: 1200 battery problems

Hybrid View

mrreese

1200 battery problems

Just picked up a new leftover '08 K1200S and I'm having an issue with the battery. The dealer tells me that if the bike is left dormant for more than 2 days, it must be hooked up to a tender. Supposedly the computer's draw is enough to drain a fully charged battery in a matter of days. This sounds absurd, since my other BMW's can sit for 2 months with no charger, and still start. Any feedback on this will be appreciated.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mrreese View Post
    Just picked up a new leftover '08 K1200S and I'm having an issue with the battery. The dealer tells me that if the bike is left dormant for more than 2 days, it must be hooked up to a tender. Supposedly the computer's draw is enough to drain a fully charged battery in a matter of days. This sounds absurd, since my other BMW's can sit for 2 months with no charger, and still start. Any feedback on this will be appreciated.
    Not true. The drain on the battery should be around 10ma or less. Mostly less. I let them sit (K12S) about 3 to 4 weeks and then put the tender on it. The battery goes to float on about 10 hours or less. Mostly less again.
    Note that a battery self discharges faster in the summer (warm) than in the winter.
    Your battery is probably hurting. It may have been allowed to go flat by the dealer for prolonged periods of time sitting in the showroom. If the battery is less than 2 years old, and cannot hold a charge, the battery is under full replacement warranty.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

mrreese
    Thanks Jack. It didn't sound right to me that BMW would make such a design error. Otherwise it would be similar to a hybrid, spending more time being plugged in than ridden.

I too had similar problems with my brand new 2008 K12GT. The battery would die in about 3 days which was very disconcerting to say the least on a bike that only had 350 miles on it!

My dealer (MAX BMW / N. Hampton, NH) was fabulous. They replaced the battery under warranty with a much better BMW gel-type battery. They did wrench a few extra bucks from my pocket, as I purchased a CAN-BUS compatible battery tender (BMW). The combination has been perfect however. The tender keeps the battery in the green and it starts without hesitation every time since.

Worth the extra dollars to know you don't have to hassle removing cables from the battery so you can put a charger on it! Did that once and that was enough for me.

Ride safe!!

Peter

CptnHornblower

Battery Drain

I had an R1100RT, K1200RS (and a BMW Z3 Automobile) and they all drained the battery way faster than any other brand vehicle I've ever owned (and I'm pretty old). I just bought a new 08 K1200GT and the first accessory I bought was a charger under the assumption that it too would die quickly. Not sure why, I assumed it was the computer on all three of them.

GREGFUESS

Battery Charge

Count my lucky stars, so far. My 08 K12S is now one year old, has 15,000 miles and has sat as long as several weeks without running, and has always started without hesitation. Course, now that I have written this...

Greg

Clay
    Quote Originally Posted by mrreese View Post
    There has been some discussion of this over on the i-bmw.org site..seems that a few have found that their ABS modual was at fault and remained on and did not cycle off after the key was in the off position thus there was a drain of the battery. It was found by a BMW Tech Rep that was called in to diagnose the problem.

I had an accessory mounted option with a relay that had shorted to the on position that drained my battery on my '08 K1200S. Problem was discovered by my local dealer after bike didn't start after sitting for about a week..fyi..battery was replaced under warranty by same dealer...

Regards,

Clay
    Kimberton,Pa.