Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Recently moved to Philly

Good People

I bought my bike at Hermy's and since then I've been back for service, parts and accessories. I make the trip from my home in about 60 minutes so I have to take a whole morning to visit the shop. Well worth the time / distance!

A great dealer and very nice people.

Rob in the parts department has gone to great lengths to get the perfect fit on the jacket and pants I want. It's taken a couple tries, but I'm sure this time will be the one.

Darryl in the service department worked overtime to get my F800 GS to quit stalling in the rain. A very difficult situation for all.

Chris in sales got me out the door on Memorial Day weekend so I could enjoy my new bike for the holiday.

I didn't let ANYONE touch my last bike and I did ALL the service/warranty work myself. This is so different - I have a place to go where I can trust the people there!

Brian

skyrider
    I have friends at DeSimone, actually Vince has sold me a new (2006) Hammer, and my '93 K1100LT. He saved me from buying a Pacific Coast.

Hermy's just gave me a good deal on a '83 R80RT/RS. When it is time for a newer boxer, I will be back to Hermy's.

I travel through both areas, so, I get to frequent them both.

I have more than a few bikes, and Hermy's inspection is around $24. My official residence is PA.

Cheers

I thought your bike came from Hermy's. I remember seeing it on their website - I spend too much time looking at their used bikes. One can always dream...
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

skyrider

lucky me

Quote Originally Posted by terham View Post
    I thought your bike came from Hermy's. I remember seeing it on their website - I spend too much time looking at their used bikes. One can always dream...
    I know what you mean, I spend way too much time looking also.

I was pleasantly surprised we came to a deal. I always wanted a boxer but I did not think it would happen anytime soon. After reading some articles here, I was suspecting! Not that I think the bike is bad, or that it can't go many more miles, in fact, I think they were generous and gave me a good deal. But on the other hand, I won't be crushed if transmision/spline/cyl head/bearing/carb work is needed. Thats the chance you take with older stuff - there is a luck factor involved. Kind of makes it more interesting!

We should get together for a ride, the "hotel" down from Hermy's is a great place for lunch.

BTW, did you ever get to the Abbey?

cheers

Can't believe I missed this post earlier but I have to give another shout out for Hermy's! Yes, they are low key but they are dedicated to taking good care of all of us as BMW owners/riders. If you are looking for a big, fancy "city" dealer with all the trappings of the multi million dollar strorefront they are not your place. However, if you are seeking a dealership composed of genuine lifelong motorcyclists and enthusiasts then they deserve a close look. They are also very generous supporters of any number of charitable undertakings (including my recent ride to Alaska - see www.2wheels2alaska.com) I live some 60 miles from Hermys (near Malvern, PA) but find myself heading out there all the time just to hang out as well as get services done, grab coffee, and ogle the latest offerings from BMW. Hermys Rocks!
    '09 F650GS

Read about my 2009 Alaska trip at:
    http://www.2wheels2alaska.com

I can't believe that you think living an hour from a dealer is tough. Many of us are three hours of more from a dealer. RK from now defunct RK BMW is at Desimone and he is one of the best wrenches I have run into over the years.

Last week I heard that BMW is looking for another dealer for the Phila area and rumor has it that they may choose Montgomeryville Honda/Suzuki.
    They are about 10 minutes from my house and after buying a V Strom from them last year I would still use Hermy's as my BMW dealer.
    It'll be interesting to see if this is true and if not where the next dealer will be located in the Phila area. Personally I'm hoping Jack Thompson who owns a BMW auto dealership in Doylestown will show interest as I believe he also owns the X-Indian dealership just north on 611. That's a first class building , in a perfect location that has been vacant for sometime now since Bucks County Choppers moved out.

Montgomeryville Cycle used to be a BMW dealer, but stopped when they moved to their current location. I used to get service on my /5 from them before they moved, and I go there for riding gear. The first couple Iron Butt Rallys started (and ended?) there I think. If this turns out to be true, I'd check them out, but the ride to Hermy's is much more interesting.
    Terence

Quote Originally Posted by Zanotti View Post
    It seems like a smart shop would close Monday/Tuesday and stay open on the weekends when many of us are free.

Z
    Simple reason - NJ doesn't allow vehicle sales on Sunday. A "blue law" - ever see a car dealership open on Sunday in NJ - same reason.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by terham View Post
    Montgomeryville Cycle used to be a BMW dealer, but stopped when they moved to their current location. I used to get service on my /5 from them before they moved, and I go there for riding gear. The first couple Iron Butt Rallys started (and ended?) there I think. If this turns out to be true, I'd check them out, but the ride to Hermy's is much more interesting.
    Wasn't impressed with them when I bought my V Strom. I friend of mine went there to buy a BMW when they were a dealer only to get talked out of it and into a Concourse. I bought a Shoei helmet from them a few years ago, and didn't realize it until a year latter when someone pointed out to me check the production date. It was two years old at the time I purchased it.
    I was there last week and had a discussion with one of there long time sales staff.
    He told what a PIA BMW riders are and how they come very informed, looking for a deal on a new bike, and then expecting a discount on accessories and ridding apparel. I quote him " It's much easier to sell a Suzuki to a kid because the only thing he cares about is if he could get a loan or not". So outside of me needing a oil filter or some oil in a pinch I'll continue to support a dealer who is run by true ridding enthusiasts and who remember my name when I walk in the door.

I've had reasonably good luck getting jackets, helmets and boots there, but I don't go more than I have to. I have a gift certificate from there that I've been trying to spend, but have had trouble finding anything I want over there. I wish it was a Hermy's gift certificate.
    Terence

DeSimone BMW R.I.P.

Quote Originally Posted by nplenzick View Post
    Last week I heard that BMW is looking for another dealer for the Phila area and rumor has it that they may choose Montgomeryville Honda/Suzuki.
    That is because DeSimone BMW in Mt. Laurel is closing on November 25, 2009.

Ron
    Ride whatever makes you smile! Every bike has it's own issues, problems and annoyances...

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_Ces View Post
    That is because DeSimone BMW in Mt. Laurel is closing on November 25, 2009.

Ron
    What awful news. It seems like South Jersey is taking it on the chin again.