Thread: Cost of 12K service

Cost of 12K service

Does anyone have any "typical" pricing on the cost of a 12K service for a 2007 K1200S? I got a quote today from a local dealer at around $400. Seems like a lot of "checking" this and that plus changing the oil & filter plus brake fluids! Maybe it is me but that sounds like a lot of money for a thorough once over and an oil change.

Rally Rat
    What is their hourly rate? 'Til they pull the plastics, change the oil and filter, change the brake fluid, "check" everything and put the plastics back on you'll have 3 hours into it plus with BMW fluids and filter around $75+ in parts. Might be a little high but not too far for a "ballpark" estimate.

Rally Rat

12K service

I just bought the parts for my 12K service on my 2008 R1200R. Oil-4 quarts of Amsoil 20-50..$45; 2 quarts Amsoil 80-90 Gear Lube..$22; 4 spark pugs..$80; BMW Oil filter and crush washers..$20; BMW Air Filter..$25; That comes to about $200 in parts alone. When I do it myself I still take the bike to the dealer to read any fault codes and synch the TB..this usually runs about $50. or a total of $250 out of pocket if I do most of the labor. I follow the BMW suggested checklist for this service and it usually takes me about 3 hours to compete. Check the Hexheads tech forum for some great "how-to" articles.

To have the dealer do the work would add about 2 to 3 hours of labor at almost $100 per hour.