Thread: just wondering

Hybrid View

just wondering

Hi ,
    new member from Canada, just got my bike r1200gsa enough dirt roads over here.
    after the first 1000km return the bike to the shop and had to pay for three hours of labour $278.90 before tax , so I'm wondering .
    well I don't mind working on my bike, but for sure it will happen now.

Marsdiep

Hi Marsdiep, welcome to the BMWMOA forum. I have liked the GS's for a while, you picked a great bike.

I recently got off an oilhead RT and bought an airhead RT. I was looking forward to working on it. It's a 1995, as new as they come, but I still have been tweaking it every spare chance I have trying to make it right. Compared to my old R1150RT which required very little maintanence, I'm wondering how much of my own work i want to do.

But that's a different story. You are going to find a great group of people here and all sorts of great information. If you need anything, just ask and welcome to the family!
    Steve Marquardt, 2004 R1150RT

Welcome to the forum Marsdiep

I used to do enduro's which were/are a blast but you need to maintain the bike yourself or it gets expensive quick.

Check out the Hexhead Forum for details on supporting your bike
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Welcome!

We all love to see pics of new bikes and look forward to seeing yours.

Great road bike as well.

Looking forward to reading posts of your GS adventures.

Ride Well
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Welcome

Welcome, Marsdiep,

I've gone back to my old Airhead, but when I had an R100RT a few years ago, getting service at the BMW dealer in Oakville regularly came in at over $1,000, occasionally over $2,000. I can find only a couple of bills under the $1,000 mark and they were just for minor adjustments, not a scheduled service. Being able to work on your bike yourself is a good thing. Lots of help here on the forum.

Holly

My new F800GS went to the dealer for its first service as well earlier this month. It was a bit less than what you paid, at about $235 tax included. Unless there is something that need warranty attention it will only see the dealers shop for the final warranty check. I much prefer to do my own wrenching, always have. I'll need to find a shop manual for it yet and perhaps a few new tools, but that'll still be less than the shop rates. Plus working on the bike lets you become familiar with it so you have a better chance of being able to solve issues when they arise on the road.

Enjoy that GSA and welcome to the group.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.

Ed I do not have an F800GS - but i would recommend the BMW Repair CD for your bike, check with your dealer.

It is a little pricy (at least the one for the RT, would not assume different for yours) but it has all the specs for torque and some very good pictures of the bike pertaining to the subject area(s).

I bought one for my bike when i got the bike.

I found it to be a valuable investment - especially if you are planning to work on the bike yourself.
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    Ed I do not have an F800GS - but i would recommend the BMW Repair CD for your bike, check with your dealer.

It is a little pricy (at least the one for the RT, would not assume different for yours) but it has all the specs for torque and some very good pictures of the bike pertaining to the subject area(s).

I bought one for my bike when i got the bike.

I found it to be a valuable investment - especially if you are planning to work on the bike yourself.
    That's likely what I'll end up getting as I don't really care for the oversimplified Clymer or Haynes manuals. I have the BMW CD manuals for my RS and my previous F650GS and for our car too.
    Ed Miller, Calgary, AB
    2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
    I can't wait to retire and have a fixed income. The one I have now is always broke.