Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Headlight modulator

Do not like modulators.

I do not like modulators...at all!

When you are coming at me with your modulator on, I turn on my highs (and my HIDs if I'm on my bike) to express my displeasure. ...and I'm a life-long cyclist. Just think how PO'd some of the rest of the public gets.

I think we do motorcycling a disservice when we blast loud pipes and blind other road users.

My theory is that any accident I get in is my fault. This puts the responsibility in my seat where it belongs. On a moto, I am small and can adjust my position on the roadway in ways that a cage cannot. And I can adjust my awareness 5 cars ahead and 3 cars behind and heighten my defensive actions.

I often skip left-hand turns because they are too dangerous. As a friend said once, 'I don't want to be a stupid exhibit!'.

I don't like them and agree with others, they should be illegal.

My .02 cents....
    Ride fast, ride safe.
    Steve Miller
    Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by stevenmi View Post
    Well - its certainly your right to not like them, but there are people who don't like helmets, despite their proven record of improving safety. Would calling for helmets to be illegal be a reasonable thing to do?

Please don't deny those of us who DO use modulators the right to use them because of your dislikes. And feel free to turn on all your lights and what are probably illegal HIDs - it really doesn't bother me at all, and it will make you more conspicuous.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar

My theory is that any accident I get in is my fault. This puts the responsibility in my seat where it belongs.
    Some theory. Insurance Co must love you.
    Tell that to the cellphone/texting/makeup applying/coffee drinking driver in the car coming at you at 65+ mph.

**Note to self: Do not ride w/ Stevenmi. He won't make left turns.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Stevenmi,

You would potentially blind a fellow rider with your HIDs??!! HIDs are incredibly bright! Or didn't know that? Remind me ride in your area.

Ride safe?
    Rw
    RichW
    2007 R12RT
    DS/DS, OEF, OIF

I use to drive with a modulator, NEVER again. I had 3 different cars pull out from parking lots, right in front of me. It wasn't like there was a lot of traffic and they 'didn't see me'. The straw that broke the camels back was the lady waving at me as she pulled out from the parking lot, the wave looked like a thank you for signaling her it was okay to pull out. Problem was, I wasn't signaling it was okay to pull out, and I had to swerve into the other lane to avoid hitting her. Fortunately no on coming cars where there.

Quote Originally Posted by hojoinsc View Post
    I use to drive with a modulator, NEVER again. I had 3 different cars pull out from parking lots, right in front of me. It wasn't like there was a lot of traffic and they 'didn't see me'. The straw that broke the camels back was the lady waving at me as she pulled out from the parking lot, the wave looked like a thank you for signaling her it was okay to pull out. Problem was, I wasn't signaling it was okay to pull out, and I had to swerve into the other lane to avoid hitting her. Fortunately no on coming cars where there.
    Dunno where you were riding.. I guess it's possible.. but I've been riding with a modulator for about 12-13 years now. Never had that happen. I feel naked if I try to ride without one.

Wonder what was different?
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

3 Red Bricks
    When I'm riding in front of my wife (with her modulator on), it doesn't blind me, and it doesn't distract me. When she's in front of me, she has no problem.

It modulates the high beam and leaves the low beam on solid. It takes several seconds of staring in the mirror to even tell if it is on or if it is just a flicker from changing sun angles on the headlight.

I've never been blinded or distracted by other oncoming modulators (but I don't stare at them to find out if I could be).

Properly aimed headlights should not blind other motorists.

I do believe that there are people will be pissed off, but that's because they have already made up their mind to be pissed off about SOMETHING (modulators, long hair, people driving over the speed limit, people driving the speed limit, baby-on-board signs, Democrats, Republicans, etc, etc) and you ain't never gonna change that. (But if you don't stare at them (or any light for that matter) it shouldn't blind or distract you (unless your already predisposed to being distracted).

But ever since the lady that made the U-turn in front of my wife told the investigating officer:"I wasn't making a U-turn." "They were speeding" (we had slowed to 35 in a 50 anticipating her pulling back on the road from the shoulder). "They had their headlights off "(no, we don't have European switches). "I didn't see them" (Bingo!!!)., I decided to increase our visibility.

Ever since then, the cars that used to pull out from a side street or driveway while looking straight at you now almost always stop short and wait for you to go by. You can see that for the first split second their brain said "no cars coming. I can go now". Then the modulator registers and their brain says "WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!" and they hit their brakes and wait.

The added advantage is, it gets the attention of the "left lane bandits" that ignore faster traffic behind them. I've been in the fast lane of the freeway where car after car has had to go around some slow car on the right because he isn't paying attention but have him move over when I got behind him.

YMMV

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

No Lights

One more twist. This morning during rush hour a MC Officer on his BMW was coming down the on ramp as I blew by in the left lane. I kept an eye on him and noticed NO LIGHTS ON. NO HEADLIGHT, RUNNING LIGHTS NOTHING. I've been pulled over before for no headlight on (euro switch on my K) so what gives. Visibility has little to do with you, it has everything to do with the other guy. Yes we can try to be more visible but we can't make others see us. I was stopped next to an elderly lady at a 4 way stop sign and she still turned left (from the right lane) in front of me. I WAS NEXT TO HER AND SHE HAD HER WINDOW DOWN. Now I know I am invisible. (To everyone except LEO's).

Twisteddevil92
    I have been looking at all kinds of systems for my R1200CL. Most of them show that i have to get a 2nd socket to put in the head light. So here is what im thinking. I run EMS and Fire as a Vol. I'm thinking of getting tow of the new led hid a ways and installing them in the head lights. You only have to drill a 1 inch hole into the back of the light. You can sinkernize the lights to flash together. And i can get a two light set up cheaper then what the company's want for there set up. Also we have a light of bike show every year here in Ohio, it would be cool to put a little power to one wire and it well change up the flash pattern. Here is one type i have been looking at, I have seen them in some of the cars and they are bright, and there is many different styles out there now http://www.swps.com/vtx609w.html. Sometimes you can find them cheeper on ebay. let me know what you all think. \

Scott Sedlak

3 Red Bricks
    Quote Originally Posted by twisteddevil92 View Post
    I have been looking at all kinds of systems for my R1200CL. Most of them show that i have to get a 2nd socket to put in the head light. So here is what im thinking. I run EMS and Fire as a Vol. I'm thinking of getting tow of the new led hid a ways and installing them in the head lights. You only have to drill a 1 inch hole into the back of the light. You can sinkernize the lights to flash together. And i can get a two light set up cheaper then what the company's want for there set up. Also we have a light of bike show every year here in Ohio, it would be cool to put a little power to one wire and it well change up the flash pattern. Here is one type i have been looking at, I have seen them in some of the cars and they are bright, and there is many different styles out there now http://www.swps.com/vtx609w.html. Sometimes you can find them cheeper on ebay. let me know what you all think. \

Scott Sedlak
    What you are proposing is NOT legal. There are very strict rules that apply to modulating lights (which lights can be modulated, percent of modulation, frequency of modulation, auto disable of modulation at dusk, etc.). Just attaching flashing lights to the front is definitely illegal.

Check https://www.kisantech.com/ for a legal plug and play setup for your bike.

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    When you are coming at me with your modulator on, I turn on my highs (and my HIDs if I'm on my bike) to express my displeasure. ...and I'm a life-long cyclist. Just think how PO'd some of the rest of the public gets.
    Headlight modulators are legal. Turning on high beams and HID lights in the face of oncoming traffic is illegal.

I suggest you trade your illegal, unethical, unsafe and spiteful actions on the roads for idle banter here in the forum. If you really want to do something about the menace of headlight modulators, write your U.S. Representative and U.S. Senators as it's a Federal Law that says all states must permit headlight modulators
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

I love modulator threads.

Quote Originally Posted by sundaeman View Post
    I love modulator threads.
    +1
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Yeah, but there kinda on and off again
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait

Yes they are legal.

However, perhaps when you are directly behind another bike rider it would be courteous to turn it off, if they find it offensive?

Like many things in life, having the right to do something doesn't mean it's always the right thing to do.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.