https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by grafikfeat View Post
    Isn't there a plug and play modulator?
    I really hate tapping into wires.
    Well,,,,relatively plug and play. I know in the case of my RT it wasn't too difficult. The modulator box has the appropriate terminations on the wires to plug into the headlamp bulb assembly. But, you must find a suitable ground connection and route the daylight photocell sensor wire to a suitable place on the bike. I had to make one hole in the back of my headlamp cover in order to route the daylight sensor. I believe their instructions wanted to mount the box outside of the headlight and route the three wires to the highbeam inside.

I was able to find a ground on one of the metal bulb frames inside the headlight housing, too.

You can see details with photos here:
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt

"Running Out The Clock" grafikfeat's Avatar
    I thought I saw one awhile back that plugs in to the lamp socket and the bulb into that.

Hmmm... I do need to get one though. Seattle area drivers suh-uk.
    Cellphone use while driving is tolerated in the form of a "secondary offense".
    You have to do something really stupid first to be pulled over.
    Then they'll cite you for cell use.

Seems to me that there is a paradox.
    "Stupidity, if left untreated, is self-correcting."

Seattle-area Rounder OfficerImpersonator's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grafikfeat View Post
    I thought I saw one awhile back that plugs in to the lamp socket and the bulb into that.

Hmmm... I do need to get one though. Seattle area drivers suh-uk.
    Cellphone use while driving is tolerated in the form of a "secondary offense".
    You have to do something really stupid first to be pulled over.
    Then they'll cite you for cell use.

Seems to me that there is a paradox.
    Guy driving a black M6 convertible pulled up alongside me this morning, heading down Cherry St. towards 4th Ave in downtown Seattle, right in front of the Rainier Club. He's texting away on his mobile device. Glances up at me to make sure I'm not a cop, and then goes right back to his texting. Gets honked at by the guy behind him for not paying attention when the light turns green. The guy is likely 5 minutes from his office - what can't wait five minutes?

BTW, texting while driving is a primary offense in Washington. Talking while driving w/o a hands-free device is a secondary offense.
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by DPeakMD View Post
    Well,,,,relatively plug and play. I know in the case of my RT it wasn't too difficult. The modulator box has the appropriate terminations on the wires to plug into the headlamp bulb assembly. But, you must find a suitable ground connection and route the daylight photocell sensor wire to a suitable place on the bike. I had to make one hole in the back of my headlamp cover in order to route the daylight sensor. I believe their instructions wanted to mount the box outside of the headlight and route the three wires to the highbeam inside.

I was able to find a ground on one of the metal bulb frames inside the headlight housing, too.

You can see details with photos here:
    Your knuckles aren't nearly bloody enough for having been reaching around the back of the headlight area!
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Hyperlites on a R1200GS

I went with the Hyperlites White on the bushguard on my R1200GS. I tried to attach a photo, but don't think it worked. The following link should get you there.

I run motolights on my RT for that triangle effect. I don't care for modulators. we have one Gentleman that rides with our group, that has a Headlight Modulator hooked up to the High beam on his Goldwing Trike. We politely ask him to turn it off while riding in a group...

Quote Originally Posted by kgadley01 View Post
    I run motolights on my RT for that triangle effect. I don't care for modulators. we have one Gentleman that rides with our group, that has a Headlight Modulator hooked up to the High beam on his Goldwing Trike. We politely ask him to turn it off while riding in a group...
    That's why I don't like riding in groups - too many self-appointed experts who think they know better than me what's safe for me and my ride
    Seattle, WA
    2012 R1200GSA
    2002 R1150RT-P
    1992 K75S sold

Quote Originally Posted by OfficerImpersonator View Post
    That's why I don't like riding in groups - too many self-appointed experts who think they know better than me what's safe for me and my ride
    I understand where your coming from. the thing is , if our friend had hooked his modulator to the low beam it wouldn't be so bad. a constant flashing in our rear view mirrors is very distracting. On one ride our friend was leading and the cars ahead of us started pulling off the road. they thought emergency units were behind them. Modulators do draw attention, no doubt about that, just sometimes the wrong kind.

shire2000
    And that is why I won't ride with someone that has a Modulator turned on. IMHO, they are just a pain in the butt. Can't stand the damn flashing. Doesn't matter if I am on the bike or in the car or van. I find them just annoying. Especially annoying in my side view mirrors.

Was on a ride last fall, Local Toy Run. There was about 8 bikes out of 200 that had modulators. Once the ride started, those bikes all ended up at the very front, as everyone just slowed, pulled over and waved them to go ahead. Nobody wanted the damn flashing lights in their mirrors all the way. When we got back to our BBQ site, many of the riders approached the Modulator group and asked them to next time "Just turn them off for the ride." One guy said that he would not ride without his modulator, so was told not to come on the ride next year. Guy was shocked and felt insulted. The ride organizer said that if you want to ride with this group, then you have to abide by the rules of the group. Makes perfect sense to me.

As to safety of riding in a group (parade style) with the modulator on. Hell, if they can't see 200+ bikes of all shapes and sizes coming down the rode in a parade, then they sure as heck aren't going to notice your flashing headlight.

Quote Originally Posted by shire2000 View Post
    And that is why I won't ride with someone that has a Modulator turned on. IMHO, they are just a pain in the butt. Can't stand the damn flashing. Doesn't matter if I am on the bike or in the car or van. I find them just annoying. Especially annoying in my side view mirrors.
    Snippage..

I see a disconnect in your statement above - and below. Above - you obviously notice the modulator - it annoys you. Below - it can't be seen?

As to safety of riding in a group (parade style) with the modulator on. Hell, if they can't see 200+ bikes of all shapes and sizes coming down the rode in a parade, then they sure as heck aren't going to notice your flashing headlight.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

shire2000
    No, you are reading something else into it. I am not talking about being seen by car drivers. I am talking about the other riders around you in a group.

I will not ride with someone with a modulator because it annoys the heck out of me. Sure I see it, how the heck can't I see it, flashing in my mirror constantly. Sorry, I don't want the distraction. I don't want to look in my mirror and get half blinded by some annoying flash of light that really should not be there. How well do you see after looking into the sun, for even a fraction of a second? Just imagine the sun in your mirror flashing away at you.

As to the fool that will not turn his modulator off while in a parade of 200+ bikes, what is his/her/it's problem? In that large a group, everybody get's seen. He/she/it does not need to be flashing away annoying the other riders. All it is going to do is flash in somebody's mirror just at the wrong time and that person will end up in an accident. All because the fool's headlight is flashing away.

Sorry, I just don't like them and think they should be made illegal. Nothing you, or anyone else can say will cause me to change my mind. Flashing lights should be left to emergency vehicles.

Shire 2000, we think alike. your welcome to ride with me anytime...

My thoughts would be out of courtesy...If you are not the lead dog...turn off the modulator. If in front,by all means do your thing. If you ride ALONE...so be it
    Steve Henson
    SABMWRA MOA Club#62's Flat Fixer/ current forum moderator
    It's not the breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away-D.Dillon/G. Strait