Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One Week to first SS1K attempt...

One Week to first SS1K attempt...

One week to go for me. I will be doing it as part of the MM1K.
    I am planning a long-ish ride tomorrow through Vermont. I wish I had added so extra lights to the RT before going for my attempt but at least the RT lights are fairly bright. I plan on making quick post to my blog during the run just updating my progress. Mostly for family members but if you are interested in following along, the link to my blog is below in my signature. I will also be attempting to use my spot but I seem to have a problem getting the tracking to work but I will at least hit the OK button at the corners.
    MOA#125237
    IBA#35312
    http://empeg9000.blogspot.com/

Riding From The Black Dog buckeyeclark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by empeg9000 View Post
    I am planning a long-ish ride tomorrow through Vermont. I wish I had added so extra lights to the RT before going for my attempt but at least the RT lights are fairly bright. I plan on making quick post to my blog during the run just updating my progress. Mostly for family members but if you are interested in following along, the link to my blog is below in my signature. I will also be attempting to use my spot but I seem to have a problem getting the tracking to work but I will at least hit the OK button at the corners.
    I have only done one SS1000 so I am no expert; however, I do know that you do not need to hurry like you may think you do. I think you only have to average around 47 mph overall and keep in mind the certificate is the same whether you complete it in 17 hrs or 23 hrs. If you are planning on using a credit or debit card at all of your gas stops make sure you take a few cards or call the card company ahead of time. They will shut you off after 5 or 6 stops. Happened to me fortunately I had several cards in my wallet that day! I would also advise some sort of camelback system to stay hydrated! Just ride safe and good luck!!!!
    I intend to live forever. So far, so good."
    2007 R1200RT
    1959 R60 w/ Steib sidecar
    1988 K100RT & 1980 R100RT 1994 R1100 RS 1999 R1100 GS , 2001 R1200C (gone)

I was planning to do the SS1K, but unfortunately a business trip was scheduled, maybe next year.

Good luck and have fun!
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Good luck with this Steve. SS500 is more my style but I wish you luck. Slow and easy wins the race.
    Terence
    R75/5 R100RS K100RS R1100S

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeClark View Post
    I have only done one SS1000 so I am no expert; however, I do know that you do not need to hurry like you may think you do. I think you only have to average around 47 mph overall and keep in mind the certificate is the same whether you complete it in 17 hrs or 23 hrs. If you are planning on using a credit or debit card at all of your gas stops make sure you take a few cards or call the card company ahead of time. They will shut you off after 5 or 6 stops. Happened to me fortunately I had several cards in my wallet that day! I would also advise some sort of camelback system to stay hydrated! Just ride safe and good luck!!!!
    Yeah I did the math and its only 42 mph to finish in 24. I am hoping to do it in a little less, more to just get it done. I am trying not to sweat it too much. I do plan on using a Camelback. I went out for an 8 hour test ride just to get some routines down. I did pretty well. It started out badly but I averaged 45 mph so that would get me there in 22 hours. I do plan on using debit cards but I will bring about a hundred or so in cash just in case.

Thanks for the well wishes Semper_Fi and terham. Be sure to check my blog on Saturday. I will make quicky blog posts at stops just to update my progress. I think it will be interesting for me to go back and read about how I was feeling as it happened.
    MOA#125237
    IBA#35312

I just checked out your blog - very nice.

Looking forward to the entries of the ride!
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Semper_Fi View Post
    I just checked out your blog - very nice.

Looking forward to the entries of the ride!
    Oh thanks! I appreciate it.

Yeah hopefully I can keep it up during the ride.
    Stephen
    MOA#125237
    IBA#35312

Being safe is more important - you can always update after the ride
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Good luck, have done the SS1K twice myself.

FYI, in 2006, i think, one of the riders finished in the top 5 (he may have won, i can't remember) after doing something like 450 miles. both times i did it, i just used brute force, no GPS, long miles with a few easy to find bonus locations, going for overall "themes" and not a million small bonuses. i grabbed the little ones that were convenient. came in 17th and 13th or something like that out of about 70-80 each time if memory serves. my first year was 1205 miles, second was 950ish.
    04 GS ADV

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    Good luck, have done the SS1K twice myself.

FYI, in 2006, i think, one of the riders finished in the top 5 (he may have won, i can't remember) after doing something like 450 miles. both times i did it, i just used brute force, no GPS, long miles with a few easy to find bonus locations, going for overall "themes" and not a million small bonuses. i grabbed the little ones that were convenient. came in 17th and 13th or something like that out of about 70-80 each time if memory serves. my first year was 1205 miles, second was 950ish.
    How do the bonuses even work? I got the sheet last night and there are times and a place, and a points value. It's just a city though and that's it. That's not very specific. Do they give more info later?
    MOA#125237
    IBA#35312

How do the bonuses even work? I got the sheet last night and there are times and a place, and a points value. It's just a city though and that's it. That's not very specific. Do they give more info later?
    yes

spend this week planning a "concept"

spend no more than 3 hours friday night revising that concept into a ride.

be asleep by 11pm the night before the start.

first year we spent so long planning, we weren't in bed till 1am and we didn't hotel at the rally, so we had to ride 35 miles at 4am to get to the start from my place!

second year, stayed down the street from the rally, got six hours sleep in and it made a HUGE difference.
    04 GS ADV

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti View Post
    yes

spend this week planning a "concept"

spend no more than 3 hours friday night revising that concept into a ride.

be asleep by 11pm the night before the start.

first year we spent so long planning, we weren't in bed till 1am and we didn't hotel at the rally, so we had to ride 35 miles at 4am to get to the start from my place!

second year, stayed down the street from the rally, got six hours sleep in and it made a HUGE difference.
    Okay Bubba thanks for the tip. I guess I will just take a peek at a map and see what's along the way that I could bag easily.
    MOA#125237
    IBA#35312

Okay Bubba thanks for the tip. I guess I will just take a peek at a map and see what's along the way that I could bag easily.
    Hey now,

That is absolutely the right approach.

The Minuteman 1000 is specifically designed for the first time SS1k or rally rider. We "score" the SS1K riders just like the folks in the 24hr rally, i.e. each mandatory corner is worth points.

Remember that to accomplish your goal all you need to do is satisfy the requirements of the Saddle Sore as listed on the website, i.e. get syrup and three gas receipts.

If you are feeling good and want a shot at a trophy add in a fuel log and rest bonus and you get more points. Make one or two stops along the mandatory route and get even more points. If you are feeling really good add a few miles for even more points but don't forget your goal is the SS1K.

We will spend some time on this after dinner Friday. I'm not going to say it is easy but I will say that our success rate is very high. It is usually a mechnical issue that causes the few DNF's.

You will receive the same rally book as the 24hr riders and chances are you may see a rider from the 24hr open rally at one of your mandatory stops, the points are there for them too.

Our goal is to not only help you obtain your first Saddle Sore 1000 Certificate and membership to the Iron Butt Association but to also introduce you to the sport of IBA type rallies.

I will say that for your first ride "on the clock" to give up on instant messaging and updates. Even if you are fast it is going to be 10 minutes per, if you update at every stop that's 50 minutes of nothing that helps you accomplish your goal.

Plan on one update at around 7-8pm (you might just be at MAX BMW in NH) but don't sacrifice a nap if you need it.

Rob - EXCELLENT advice and information.

It is too bad i can not make it - definately next year.

Good luck to all the riders and have a great time
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by robnye View Post
    Hey now,

That is absolutely the right approach.

The Minuteman 1000 is specifically designed for the first time SS1k or rally rider. We "score" the SS1K riders just like the folks in the 24hr rally, i.e. each mandatory corner is worth points.

Remember that to accomplish your goal all you need to do is satisfy the requirements of the Saddle Sore as listed on the website, i.e. get syrup and three gas receipts.

If you are feeling good and want a shot at a trophy add in a fuel log and rest bonus and you get more points. Make one or two stops along the mandatory route and get even more points. If you are feeling really good add a few miles for even more points but don't forget your goal is the SS1K.

We will spend some time on this after dinner Friday. I'm not going to say it is easy but I will say that our success rate is very high. It is usually a mechnical issue that causes the few DNF's.

You will receive the same rally book as the 24hr riders and chances are you may see a rider from the 24hr open rally at one of your mandatory stops, the points are there for them too.

Our goal is to not only help you obtain your first Saddle Sore 1000 Certificate and membership to the Iron Butt Association but to also introduce you to the sport of IBA type rallies.

I will say that for your first ride "on the clock" to give up on instant messaging and updates. Even if you are fast it is going to be 10 minutes per, if you update at every stop that's 50 minutes of nothing that helps you accomplish your goal.

Plan on one update at around 7-8pm (you might just be at MAX BMW in NH) but don't sacrifice a nap if you need it.
    Thanks for the tips Rob. I am really looking forward to it. I will be arriving around 12-1 on Friday. The weather is looking good so far.
    MOA#125237
    IBA#35312