Thread: Chain of Rocks Bridge

Chain of Rocks Bridge

My bro-in-law and I will be doing Route 66 in September, Chicago to LA. One of the sites we do not want to miss this time is the Chain of Rocks Bridge. I have read stories both good and bad about the safety of this area.

Is there anyone in Southern IL that knows the area and would be willing to show the way? We plan on being there on Fri Sept 16, 2009.

Thanks.
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer

I stopped there (Illinois side) in last year on my partial Route 66 trip. As the parking area is a good walk from the center of the bridge, I just made sure everything was locked up. Saw a few tourists, but no ner-de-wells milling around.
    The lot is out in the open, no buildings or streets around, so no passerbys. I was there around 4:30 in the afternoon on a Monday. Most of the research led me to believe the problem was on the Missouri side, and I didn't go all the way across.

Yes, probably more trouble on the Missouri side. That side is closer to the trouble.
    Marilyn Roberts
    F800R, R1150R, R100 Mystic
    Add about 1100 to my post count

Thanks for the replies...we will be there on WED (not Fri) the 16th. If any one is in the area and wants to see/walk the bridge, PM me.
    Attitude is everything!
    1978 R100/7
    08' V-Strom 650 great light weight tourer