Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Prudhoe to Key West Record Run

Prudhoe to Key West Record Run

John Ryan arrived in Fairbanks, Alaska last evening (05/27/09) to stage for his attempt to break the record for riding between Prudhoe Bay, Alaska and Key West, Florida.

He's spending today preping the bike and attending to other logistics. New tires being installed at Trail's End BMW, repair of a broken zipper on his stich and trouble shooting a problem with his CB radio are all on the agenda.

It appears he will link up with a local Iron Butt rider tomorrow and head to Prudhoe. Goal is to begin the attempt Saturday evening. The schedule may yet change.

His ride, Yamaha FJR 1300 with 138,000 miles on it and still with a year left on the warranty.

Note the custom made 13 gallon fuel tank.

More pictures (and better)to follow.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Stripped for new rubber.

Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent

very cool, best of luck john!
    04 GS ADV

Kevin,

Thanks. Say HI to John for me.. tell him I'm passing this link along to his local club in NJ..
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

Go, John, Go!!!

Voni
    sMiling in Washington State sunshine
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves/
    Live fully. Laugh deeply. Love widely.
    BMW MOA Ambassador / FOM / Roving Forum Moderator/
    Selected Friends of Wile E Coyote/ A Million BMW sMiles

Boy, have I got fuel tank envy...

I'd love to see a photo of how he fits in there when seated. Looks like he could rest his chin on the tankbag.

Looking forward to a successful conclusion to this epic run!
    ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

John is on his way up the Dalton. We linked up with an IronButt friend of his from Glennallen (Jack G.) at Hilltop and then I rode with them up to the start of the Dalton. Plan is to overnight in Wiseman then on to Deadhorse on Saturday. John is prepared to stay in Deadhorse for a few days if needed to get a good weather window to start his attempt. If things go well he will depart Deadhorse Sunday evening and arrive in Fairbanks 7-9 hours later. We will meet him at a car wash here in Fairbanks where he will clean his radiator and wheels; we have his side cases that he will install and then resume his ride. I have pictures of today's ride to the head of the Dalton that I will post when I can get on campus where I'm not on dial-up. Will also have pics of the pit stop at the car wash. The only issue he was unable to resolve was his CB radio being on the fritz.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent

Is there a place to follow his attempt? Great coverage on this end of the run, just wondering about the other end.

Pass the mustard and UP THE REVOLUTION!

St. Paul Pioneer Press , Minneapolis Star Tribune

Riding From The Black Dog buckeyeclark's Avatar
    So what is the record? Has he tried it before?
    I intend to live forever. So far, so good."
    2007 R1200RT
    1959 R60 w/ Steib sidecar
    1988 K100RT & 1980 R100RT 1994 R1100 RS 1999 R1100 GS , 2001 R1200C (gone)

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeClark View Post
    So what is the record? Has he tried it before?
    From Motorbiker website:

"One of Iron-Butt's (the USA based, long distance riding association, promoting long distance motorcycle riding) members, Gary Eagan, has broken one of Iron-Butt's records; the longest distance in the shortest time.

Gary rode on his Ducati Multistrada motorcycle from the northern most point in Alaska to the southern most point in Florida;- a total of 5,632 miles (9,063 kilometers) ! The managed this journey in a record 100 hours (the previous record was set by someone riding a BMW in 114 hours). That's only four days !! That means he was riding on average 1400 miles per day (2200 kilometers).

Doesn't sound much if you say it quickly, but if you stop and think, it represents almost nonstop riding. If you ride 24 hours a day, you'd still need to average 58 mph... and that's not counting refueling and other pit stops.

What makes this even more incredible in my eyes, is that at the beginning of the journey, Gary was forced of the road by a trucker, and he damaged his motorcycle (and himself). After repairing the motorcycle with zip ties, he continued his trip.

He stopped only to take short naps, and to refuel, and kept on riding."

The current record is 96 hours and 1 minute. John made an attempt last year and did it in a bit over 101 hours. He had several things go wrong last year including a flat on the haul road. He seems confident he can break the record if he can avoid just some of the issues he had last time .
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent

Quote Originally Posted by AKBeemer View Post
    The current record is 96 hours and 1 minute. John made an attempt last year and did it in a bit over 101 hours. He had several things go wrong last year including a flat on the haul road. He seems confident he can break the record if he can avoid just some of the issues he had last time .
    Who holds the current record and when was it done on what bike?

GSTom, I do not know the answer to any of your questions, but the important thing is that John knows. I do know that the record is held by a friend of John's and on a Duc Multistrada. So I guess it is the same person you cited and he made another run.

John is back in Fairbanks. Atigun Pass was impassable. Even Jack G. (ALCANRider to those on ADV Rider) could not make it up the pass on his KLR with TK's mounted. John is doing some minor maintenance on his bike and will head north again tomorrow.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    AKBeemer,

Thanks for the updates which are eagerly read here.

You say, Atigun Pass was impassable. What makes a pass impassable? I'm thinking mud or floods. It can't be snow, or can it?

Did a Google search and found that white-out conditions can occur even in July!

Click Here
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    What makes a pass impassable?
    It was so icy that they were unable to get enough traction to get up the pass. Forecast is for 37 degrees and mostly sunny today at Deadhorse, so maybe conditions will be better at Atigun.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent