Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: NEW OIL from BMW

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by halrkent View Post
    I also went to Amsoil 20W-50 motorcycle oil last oil change. It shifts much smoother with Amsoil than the BMW/Castrol oil.

Hal
    Keep in mind that BMW recommended against 20W for the new transverse 4 cyl engines. They taught no 20W in school and do not recommend it in the owners manual or tech dvd. I think 15W and 10W were recommended and now 5W.
    BMWMotorcycles, fun when they're running...
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

I used to use Mobil 1 15w-50 in my older K, but it has a lot of moly so I don't use it in my GT with wet clutch. Last year I found Mobil 1 MX4T 10w-40 (on sale for $5.95) at Advance Auto so I cleaned three stores out of it . Now I won't have to worry about oil for a few years!
    Last edited by ridewv; 06-02-2009 at 03:29 PM.

How much?

How much will you folks spend for oil? I gave up a few years ago on synthetics, as the prices chased me away to use regular oils again. M/C regular oils are running around 3.85 here. At those HIGH prices, you should be running 20k+ on change intervals, imo. Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Polarbear View Post
    How much will you folks spend for oil? I gave up a few years ago on synthetics, as the prices chased me away to use regular oils again. M/C regular oils are running around 3.85 here. At those HIGH prices, you should be running 20k+ on change intervals, imo. Randy
    6K mile changes are about right. We in the USA are used to artificially low oil and gas prices. Get used to it.
    My other bike is a BMW.

I will;

I will go much further on my oil if I ever pay 10$+ a quart ever again, as 3000 mile changes are a thing in my past, if so. Today, I still have my under 4$ oil and still do the 3000 mile thing. Happy Trails, Randy

Clay
    Interesting...I picked up the newly (BMW Service Bulletin)recommended Full Syn 5w40..found out it's not Castrol GPS, as recommended in the owners manual, but Spectrol made...

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Interesting...I picked up the newly (BMW Service Bulletin)recommended Full Syn 5w40..found out it's not Castrol GPS, as recommended in the owners manual, but Spectrol made...
    I have heard of a BMW rep recommending Castrol 4T synthetic 5W40 (JASO MA2) for all the new K bikes. Naturally since BMWNA has a deal with Spectro, it's what they recommend. I would imagine there isn't a difference to be concerned about. Spectro has always been considered a good choice.
    Last edited by cjack; 06-12-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    My other bike is a BMW.

Clay
    Let me put it another way if you buy BMW labeled Full Syn 5w40 here in the States your buying a Spectrol product..however as explained from the dealer... overseas BMW labeled Full Syn is a Castrol product..

Quote Originally Posted by pakyohmeca View Post
    I refuse to pay $65 to change my oil.
    My dealer wants $104 to change the oil and filter on my 1300GT.

Don S
    $104 for a motorcycle oil change? Must come with a back rub to loose you up !!!

Oil Change Costs

On my recently completed trip I paid $117 at Grand Junction, Co. HD/BMW for an oil change. Kind of makes my dealer's $104 look like a bargain.

Don S

Clay
    I found changing the oil and filter on my 'S' easier than my previous KRS..try it you may save some $$...

P.T. Barnum was right !
    '03 R1150R, '03 F650GS, '97DR200SE,'78 Honda CT-90, '77Honda CT-90

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    Let me put it another way if you buy BMW labeled Full Syn 5w40 here in the States your buying a Spectrol product..however as explained from the dealer... overseas BMW labeled Full Syn is a Castrol product..
    Is there BMW-labeled oil in countries other than the U.S.? There's no such thing in Canada as BMW oil. I also didn't see any in the BMW dealer I visited in the U.K. in May either.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT