Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stay Away From Deal's Gap

My brother came out from Denver to ride the dragon with that same thought. After riding the paved pig trails we call roads he went home with a little more respect for our "little" Smokey Mtns. Like most posters have said Stay off the Dragon on the weekends. And with school being out for the summer, I'd be real careful during the week also. Here's a link to Deals Gap. They try to post what's happening on the Dragon that week. http://www.dealsgap.com/
    Last edited by heavyjetpfe; 06-01-2009 at 03:31 PM. Reason: correction

Rjeffery

Dragon

The Dragon is a great ride for going on to other great twisties in the area. I went through there a month or so ago without any problems, no semi's (they can't even fit or allowed on the road), no trucks W/boats... After the Dragon we spent the whole day exploring down into Georgia then back up to the Smoky's.
    Ya... stay away on the weekends, or go early in the morning before the cartoons end.
    Attached Images Attached Images

dpeace

Exclamation Trucks on the Dragon

Before riding the Dragon I recommend watching the YouTube clips of semis on this stretch of road. I have read that because the Dragon is part of a national highway (US 129) it cannot be closed to trucks. As you will see, trucks and bikes don't mix well on this twisty road. I recommend the Cherohala Skyway, Blue Ridge Parkway or any of the mountain roads in North Georgia for your twisty fix without so much traffic.

DP

Talking Trucks on Independence Pass are also there 24/7

As example, Independence pass will take anything that will go down the road, is a major connecting highway to Aspen Colorado, AND (most importantly) remains fun, fun fun any day of the week!

As I suspect the Dragon will be fun, fun, fun if you use a little care and caution, and know how to execute repeated turns in a verticle atmosphere!

IMHO for what it's worth!

I rode the dragon about 15 minutes after a semi went through. It was nice because most people were waiting far longer for him to get through, so we didn't have traffic trying to push us. We caught up to him, but it was at the end when most of the curves were over.

I actually enjoyed riding Route 28 TO the Dragon better than the Dragon itself. Traffic was lighter, too. Just watch for the two turns a few miles before you get to the intersection with 129 which are posted at 25mph (possibly 15?) - they mean it.

JAMESDUNN

Colorado mountain passes, the Dragon and such.

Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    As example, Independence pass will take anything that will go down the road, is a major connecting highway to Aspen Colorado, AND (most importantly) remains fun, fun fun any day of the week!

As I suspect the Dragon will be fun, fun, fun if you use a little care and caution, and know how to execute repeated turns in a verticle atmosphere!

IMHO for what it's worth!
    I lived in Colorado many years and have been over most, if not all the passes there, not all of which are paved. Independence is sure enough hairy. Weekends can be "crowded". Luckily it is closed winters. All those high steep passes are challenging; Hoosier; Lizard Head: Wolf Creek; Blanco; Monarch to name a few. "Rider Beware".I have not ridden the Dragon. If the possibility should arise it will be on a weekday and it will not be full out. That is for the track. Seems for some the Dragon is "the track", but carries a lot of risk when ridden that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rjeffery View Post
    ...go early in the morning before the cartoons end.
    Haha, best comment ever.

Quote Originally Posted by toddlamp View Post
    Haha, best comment ever.
    Agreed!!!

That little comment had me rolling on the floor! Good one!

And as far as all this 'negative publicity' on The Dragon............keep it coming.

This will be my fourth year in a row tearing up HWY 129, aka "The Dragon," and though I will miss all of you, I will enjoy the thinner traffic while I'm having a ball!

I mean..............Bad road........bad, bad stretch of road. Everyone should stay away. Big trucks, snakes, earthquake damage, ruts, unspeakable chaos, etc.
    Last edited by Greenwald; 06-02-2009 at 11:40 PM.
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

What's the big deal? (Get it? Big Deal!)

Not to be a wet blanket, but from looking at photos, Deals Gap looks little different from any of hundreds of long and twisty mountain/hill/canyon roads that exist in the west and no doubt in many other parts of the country, yet every m/c site I visit talks of the Dragon while other twisty roads get little mention.

What's the big deal? (Apologies in advance re. the lowest form of humor.) Is it the quality of pavement? I can't imagine it's the atmosphere, which to me would be a huge detriment. Not knocking it, 'cause I've never been. Just wondering.

chfite
    What sets the Dragon apart from the others is that there are no intersecting driveways or roads along its length.

I have ridden the Tennessee Snake, Hwy 421. Although not as technically challenging as the Dragon, it is a great ride.

revkev
    My son and I plan to be at the Dragon on Sunday afternoon, the 19th of July, heading back towards Wisconsin. I have never been on this highway but this thread has me excited.

Crazy driving, crazy people, wrecks, high speeds, traction defying turns...people pay big money to watch this stuff at Bristol twice a year and at the Dragon it is free. We will try to drive safely to say we were there and watch the excitement.

JAMESDUNN

Myth and reality.

Quote Originally Posted by SPOKESMAN View Post
    Not to be a wet blanket, but from looking at photos, Deals Gap looks little different from any of hundreds of long and twisty mountain/hill/canyon roads that exist in the west and no doubt in many other parts of the country, yet every m/c site I visit talks of the Dragon while other twisty roads get little mention.

What's the big deal? (Apologies in advance re. the lowest form of humor.) Is it the quality of pavement? I can't imagine it's the atmosphere, which to me would be a huge detriment. Not knocking it, 'cause I've never been. Just wondering.
    I have not been either. It is probably like the old west gunslinger with the big rep. Part myth and part reality.

Certain ski area runs get the same kind of reputation; Al's Run at Taos Ski Valley, Corbett's Couloir at Jackson to name a couple . Though challenging and "mean", they're not necessarily the "meanest". Still, they are the runs with the reputation. "I Skied Al's Run reads a bumper sticker.

There is probably a sticker for the Dragon as well. " I survived the Dragon" or some such....

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by SPOKESMAN View Post

The only difference between the Dragon and hundreds of other roads that are as good or better is publicity and promotion. You go there, get the T-shirt and get to tell people you've done the Dragon. It's famous for being famous. It's a little like Hollywood. The most famous actors are not necessarily the best actors.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

I'd say, if you are in the area, go, and make your own conclusion.

If you go on Saturday at noon, go for the scene.

If you go on a week day, go early and go for the ride. That 11 miles gets a lot longer when you go back and forth a few times. It gets a lot faster as you become more familiar with it.

I've been a couple of times. I'm no knee dragger, but it was a lot of fun and I had never seen anything like it.

ride what you've got; enjoy the road you're on!

Reid - Stone Ridge, NY - MOA #69187 - Turbo Fluffy Motoclub - IBA #50182

Quote Originally Posted by osbornk View Post
    . The most famous actors are not necessarily the best actors.

Thank you.

...and I'm going this weekend and try as much of the area; snake, dragon, 421, Cheohala etc as time allows
    We might as well walk. ~ Adam Guettel The Light In The Piazza
    used to own: 1982 R100T, 1984 R65, 1986K75C, 1997 R1100RT, R850R, K75S, 1978 R100RS... what was I thinking?