Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Stay Away From Deal's Gap

Squidward . . .

Isn't one of Sponge Bob Square Pants friends named Squidward? Maybe he's a biker?!

Very entertaining Wezul
    Campbell Tellman II
    '93 R100RT

Brett
    I have ridden the gap many times and I ride down from Pa just to do so. Always arrive on Sunday night after the maddness and really enjoy the Dragon and the other area roads on Monday and Tuesday. It's challenging and entertaining and worth the trip. Ben and his staff at the store, motel, and campground are always great and have never had problems with LEO's as long as your not acting like an idiot. On my Gs I ride aggressive in third gear almost the whole way through dragging footpegs and I can't think of a better place to challenge yourself to be a better rider within your limits. Never tried the weekend and probably won't, scheduling is the key to the gap.

Brett Endress
    Altoona Pa

Quote Originally Posted by Brettendress View Post
    I have ridden the gap many times and I ride down from Pa just to do so. Always arrive on Sunday night after the maddness and really enjoy the Dragon and the other area roads on Monday and Tuesday. It's challenging and entertaining and worth the trip. Ben and his staff at the store, motel, and campground are always great and have never had problems with LEO's as long as your not acting like an idiot. On my Gs I ride aggressive in third gear almost the whole way through dragging footpegs and I can't think of a better place to challenge yourself to be a better rider within your limits. Never tried the weekend and probably won't, scheduling is the key to the gap.

Brett Endress
    Altoona Pa
    Thanks for the tip. I'm looking to go down there in a month or so on my K. I did it in my car once and there was litterally only one other car there. I think I was there at about 4 or 5pm on a Wednesday though

Quote Originally Posted by toddlamp View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I'm looking to go down there in a month or so on my K. I did it in my car once and there was litterally only one other car there. I think I was there at about 4 or 5pm on a Wednesday though

I've been through there between Christmas and New Years when there wasn't but about six bikes riding the Dragon -- that and a half-dozen cars (including us) -- we had the place to ourselves for most of the afternoon.

This past week I rode through in the morning before 10:00AM -- Tuesday and Friday -- light traffic both mornings. I had been warned by friends in the area to go during a week-day morning and I'm glad I did.
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    I figure the LEOs will have a greatly enhanced presence this year around the time of the Rally which will make it a lot less enjoyable. It will probably make other roads better because they will all be there.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

DZIMBRIC
    Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    Squid is a slang term used.... graphically linked.

WOW

Short version

Stupid, Quick, Dead

Squid

Quote Originally Posted by dzimbric View Post
    WOW

Short version

Stupid, Quick, Dead
    It simply means-
    So Quick Until I Die

Who hasn't been there before?
    Before you become old and wise, you must first be young and stupid...
    Ron
    Ride whatever makes you smile! Every bike has it's own issues, problems and annoyances...

Quote Originally Posted by wezul View Post
    Squid is a slang term used to describe an irresponsible motorcyclist. . . . . When accompanied by a pool of blood this idea becomes more graphically linked.

Wow.
    Thanks for definitive definitions of "Squid"!

I was told that it is because after having an accident on the road a squid (an irresponsible rider) can look like a squid (a shapeless mass of tissue) lying on the pavement.

The Dragon is 11 miles long and even though the speed limit ( correct me if I'm wrong) is generally around 35mph through there and assuming you ride close the speed limit, the whole thing is over in less than 20 minutes.

The road surface is close to excellent meaning very smooth and well marked with no tar snakes. It's fun and certainly pretty, but not sure I'd ride across the country again for a 20 minute thrill. I had no problem riding it while keeping a moderate pace along with a whole lot of respect for it knowing of all the horror stories. I came away thinking it was more of a right of passage for the cruiser crowd.

Oddly enough, the next day after riding the Dragon and the Blue Ridge Parkway going north I hopped off near Boone, NC and rode Hwy 421 to Bristol, TN. I found many parts of 421 far more challenging and would put that on the wish list of a wild and crazy road since it's not far from the rally for a day ride. It left such an impression on me, I never forgot the number.
    Last edited by RTRandy; 05-31-2009 at 09:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RTRandy View Post
    Rode Hwy 421 to Bristol, TN. I found many parts of 421 far more challenging and would put that on the wish list of a wild and crazy road since it's not far from the rally for a day ride. It left such an impression on me, I never forgot the number.
    Thanks -- I've added that to the list of must-ride roads for my next trip!
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

I have been "on the Dragon" a number of times and every time, no matter the day or what I was thinking I would be in an accident due to the crazyness going on there! Too much crossing the yellow line for this guy! Ride the many other scenic and twisty roads in that whole general area.

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Robert Davis (Webmost) and I were discussing the Dragon last week and compared it to our favorite ride. We decided the biggest difference is that the Hayters Gap ride is better but the biggest difference is it doesn't have a T-shirt, squids or LEOs. It is only a 50 mile interstate ride from the Rally. Get off I-81 onto Rt 80 at the Meadowview exit. You will meander 10 miles through the country to Hayters Gap. The next 8 miles have hundreds of curves on a very smooth road with sharp turns and no guardrails.

http://www.bmwmoa.org/rally09/great_..._bmw_moa_rally
    Last edited by osbornk; 05-31-2009 at 02:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

JAMESDUNN
    Quote Originally Posted by chasman View Post
    Ride the Gap on Monday through Thursday. Friday, Sat, and Sunday are for the idiots/rookies/squids. Also, fewer LEOs Mon-Thur.
    It is much like a visit to a ski area. Go, if possible on weekdays, as the weekends, depending on the area, are very busy. The same logic would apply to most vacation resorts. Weekdays rule!

OUTBACKUFO
    Quote Originally Posted by redclfco View Post
    Sort of sounds like independence pass or trail ridge road or beartooth pass on any given weekend.
    at least on the dragon... you have a full two lanes in each direction... on Independence pass you have to deal with the two sections of one lane road along cliff faces... and pedal bikers hauling arse down hill (Up Hill traffic has legal right away in Colorado by state law) around the blind corners...

Quote Originally Posted by OUTBACKUFO View Post
    at least on the dragon... you have a full two lanes in each direction... on Independence pass you have to deal with the two sections of one lane road along cliff faces... and pedal bikers hauling arse down hill (Up Hill traffic has legal right away in Colorado by state law) around the blind corners...
    yea, but I am here to say independence is more fun than a bucket of monkeys nomatter which day you choose to go! My guess is so's the Dragon!

11 miles? hahaha, that's barely enogh to wet your lips!