Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Iron Butt in MI

Iron Butt in MI

I and 3 others are in the process of doing a run in June. Up to the upper MI down to Chicago threw WI and back to Saginaw MI. We are still working on the dates, as all 4 riders are flexible. Anyone want to join, make it a mini rally

Magilla
    Sounds interesting, give
    me a shout via PM, I'm just south of you guys in Howell.

hrhvulcan
    I'm in Owosso. May be interested. 2 of us are going to Hyder, Alaska next Saturday morning, returning the following Friday night. Leaving from Grayling and returning to Grayling. Why, because we can!!!
    This trip around the lake sounds like fun, except the Chicago part.

well the Chicago part doesn't sound like much fun to me either, but not easy to avoid. Welcome to suggestions tho.

All MI Iron Butt

Why don't you just go up to Copper Harbor for lunch and back to Saginaw. To make sure of the mileage, go up I-75 til you hit M-28 instead of US 2. That way it is about 550 miles from Saginaw to Copper Harbor. You will get your Saddle Sore 1000 that way.

Patrick
    2002 R1150R
    1993 K75RT

RSPENNACHIO
    How are the plans comming along?

If you are going to weekend of the 20th or the 27th there is a good chance I'll join you.

ksdr60
    Quote Originally Posted by hrhvulcan View Post
    This trip around the lake sounds like fun, except the Chicago part.
    I'm with you. Michigan (LP and UP) and Wisconsin are awesome, but I have no interest in riding anywhere near Chicago.

I don't know where the planned starting point is, but let's say for the sake of argument it is Lansing (smack dab in the middle of the LP). I'd run it this way:

1. Start point, Lansing
    2. West to Muskegon
    3. Up the Lake Michigan shoreline to Manistee, Traverse, Charlevoix
    4. Head to Mackinaw City, and across Big Mac to St Igance
    5. Up to Sault St Marie
    6. West across the UP to Tahquamenon, Newberry, Munising, Marquette and all the way to Ironwood
    7. Southeast through Iron River, Crystal Falls, and Iron Mountain to Escanaba
    8. Follow the Lake Michigan shoreline south to Green Bay
    9. Cross the Door Peninsula to Manitowoc, WI

At that point, you've covered 1,048 miles, all on beautiful roads in God's country. In Manitowoc, you can pick up the SS Badger car ferry, which will take you and your bike back across Lake Michigan to Ludington.

That's pretty much my dream ride. I will do it someday.

Herding Cats
    ksdr60,
    That sounds like a great ride, but you really need to add Copper Harbor in step 6, between Marquette and Ironwood. I used to live in Calumet and NEVER tired of the ride up there.

have been a few good comments about copper harbor. Dont know about the ferry tho. The thought of looking at my RT for 4 hours and not riding it would drive me insane.

ksdr60
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBob View Post
    ksdr60,
    That sounds like a great ride, but you really need to add Copper Harbor in step 6, between Marquette and Ironwood. I used to live in Calumet and NEVER tired of the ride up there.
    Yeah, I love the Keewenaw, too. I was just trying to keep it right at about 1,000 miles, and that would have put it considerably over. Since it's my "dream ride", though, I guess I would certainly head from Marquette up through Baraga and Houghton to Calumet and Copper Harbor, and then head over to Ontonagon and the Porkies for a ride up to Lake of the Clouds.

Another ride I really want to do someday is the Lake Superior circle route through Thunder Bay.

ksdr60
    Quote Originally Posted by RBEST149084 View Post
    have been a few good comments about copper harbor. Dont know about the ferry tho. The thought of looking at my RT for 4 hours and not riding it would drive me insane.
    The SS Badger is a really nice way to go. And after 1,000 miles in the saddle, a 4 hour break to hang out on the rail and enjoy the lake breezes will be a nice change. Or get a stateroom and take a nap. But the best part is that you don't need to ride through Chicago or Gary.

CHORDORAN
    Also interested, but not so much if Chicago is in the trip tick. You were kind enough to post your plans and invite others, but if it ends up avoiding Chicago then I'd be interested.

Michigan Iron

Hello all,

When I've had to ride through Chicago I always try to leave early enough to miss Chicago traffic. When I rode around Lake Michigan a few years ago I believe I left my home around 3:30 a.m.. With the time change that put me through Chicago before morning (Saturday) rush hour traffic. I would much rather ride through Chicago early in the morning rather than late in the afternoon.

Richard

Commerce, Mi

View Larger Map

I think the weekend of June 20th looks good.............let me know what yall think

516 miles one way. Plan on a early depart. Hit the bridge at sunrise. I have 3 confirmed so far.

ksdr60
    Wish I could join you. Have fun!