Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Easy motorcycle camping cooking?

Easy motorcycle camping cooking?

I have never done any cooking while motorcycle camping, but I just got a portable stove for my birthday and plan to try this on my trip in a week.

I would appricate any suggestions of what to cook? I have no idea what I can make that doesn't require a bit of milk, or butter, or whatever else I won't have there with me at the campsite.

Thanks,
    -Ryan

Easy motorcycle camping cooking ?

I think its great to be able to put everyting you need on your bike and go camping!

As far as cooking,the only thing I have cooked on my (expensive) backpack stove is water for coffee.

But after you get to the camp ground you can possibly go the a store and purchase food items.

Or if you want to bring it all with you yo can try a backpack/outdoor store for freeze dried foods.(just add water).I think you can also get food with a chemical pack you can add to heat it up like army rations.
    If all fails....theres always the arches !
    '02 Blue R1150RT

Greg
    Ryan,

There are lots of things that are easy to carry and easy to cook.

I usually carry at least one can of soup or stew. If you find yourself in the middle of nowhere you have at least one meal. I get the "ready made" stuff that you don't have to add water. Then there is Coffee or Tea as mentioned above. I also do Oatmeal in the mornings. There are several types of instand Oatmeal/Cream of Wheat. Most of my cooking is pretty simple but it does open up a new way to look at motorcycle camping. If you want to get fancy check out the Cooking Section on the MOA website. Excellent write up by Don MacNeil. http://www.bmwmoa.org/camping/DonMacNeilCooking.htm

If you're going to do the Backing Food route I highly recommend you try that stuff at home FIRST! Nothing like cooking up something you'd find hard to feed to your dog (miles from the nearest store)!

Enjoy!
    Greg

Ryan

Read "Motorcycle Camping made easy" by Bob Woofter, many great ideas on cooking and camping.

Regrads

Ron

GIZMO
    Try some of the pre-packaged dehydrated meals found in good camping stores. All you need is water, there is quite a variety, easily packed and are lite.

Remember that Spam and Ramen Noodles are your friend.
    Garth Eppley
    1990 K75s
    Yankee Beemers Midwest
    Rounder No. 7
    Midwest Clan

I traveled with Rob Nye and Sheepshagger this summer. They had a stove called a Pyromid. I think they bought them on Ebay. They were able to grill steaks, chicken and the like. When we combined that with chips and salsa and a salad in a bag, we had a great dinner.

With the advent of the salads in a bag, you can buy a chicken breast (pre marinated), grill it with a small bag of Matchlight and put it on top of a Caesar salad and have a pretty nice dinner.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

i pack just sunflower kernals and nuts and water,dont forget these..

I've tried alot of the Mountain House freeze dried meals--like Gizmo says, they are light and only require water and a stove to make. And like Greg said, stews are always good and come ready to heat out of the can--Dinty Moore isn't too bad. It really depends on how much stuff you want to pack and how much weight you can bear. Another must to go along with that stove is a titanium cooking pot--they are lightweight and usually come with a teflon coating to make cleanup a snap. Also try those Maxwell House coffee bags---they look like teabgs but have coffee in them..you brew the cup just like you would tea. If and if like milk in your coffee like me, Parmalat milk boxes (the small ones) are standard issue--they keep in the heat until opened...some sugar in a mini tupperware container and your off!!! Don't forget your favorite travel mug, too!! I have gone weekend hiking before and forgot my mug....I had to drink my coffee out of an empty Planters glass peanut jar!!!
    Chris
    Scotch Plains, NJ

'02 R1100SA

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    I purchased a small percolator from REI.

The reason I went with it was that I could make coffee with it, plus boil water and be able to pour it into something easily, such as instant oatmeal or cup of soup. I also have boiled hot dogs in there succesfully. (Hot dogs over a Pocket Rocket stove are not the same as over a campfire.)

The other thing is unless you are doing true rough camping, you can usually get away with setting up tent and then going into town for provisions. Pretty much think of it as anything that you can cook on a stove you can cook on the road.

I have been experimenting before going on the road with what I can cook and not cook. I also always have a powerbar, just in case....
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Originally posted by BradfordBenn
    I purchased a small percolator from REI.

The reason I went with it was that I could make coffee with it, plus boil water and be able to pour it into something easily, such as instant oatmeal or cup of soup. I also have boiled hot dogs in there succesfully. (Hot dogs over a Pocket Rocket stove are not the same as over a campfire.)

The other thing is unless you are doing true rough camping, you can usually get away with setting up tent and then going into town for provisions. Pretty much think of it as anything that you can cook on a stove you can cook on the road.

I have been experimenting before going on the road with what I can cook and not cook. I also always have a powerbar, just in case....
    This coming from a guy who about six months ago hadn't camped in years. We've created a monster.
    Garth Eppley
    1990 K75s
    Yankee Beemers Midwest
    Rounder No. 7
    Midwest Clan

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    It gets worse....

Now my wife is staring longingly at K1xxxLT so that she can go camping with me. Yesterday she said the following,
    I am fine with you having two bikes, or more, as long as the next bike we get is an LT
    Anyone got $18,000 they can loan me with no interest?
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

wait until bmw offers 0.9% at a lower purchace price,thats what happened to me, i was not buying but my wife insisted that we were not leaving the dealor without signing, what a wife....
    matthew

Originally posted by BradfordBenn

Anyone got $18,000 they can loan me with no interest?
    I definitely have no interest in that!

JetDoc
    Western Nevada
    2004 K1200LTC (Schwarzer Geist)
    2004 Suzuki DL-1000 V-strom
    2002 Suzuki Volusia (Hers)

MRE's

Military MRE's are quick and easy. Our local surplus store sells not only the whole package (meal, side, instant heater, etc), BUT they also sell just the entree for a couple of bucks, which is what I get.

It's small and requires no refrigeration, just drop it in some boiling water for a few minutes until it's warmed through, dump some Tabasco on it and it's ready to go. I also take some bread or crackers or something and some cookies to go with it. Cleanup is real easy, as it cooks inside the bag (so the pot doesn't have to be cleaned), then I use a paper bowl and plastic fork/spoon to eat with.

You'll have to play around with which ones taste better than others. Some aren't bad at all (the meatloaf was one of the better ones, IIRC) and some I wouldn't get again.
    -Mike

'02 R1150R
    '88 R100RS