Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: For What It's Worth

This is one of my favourite shots. Most of my photos are about 1-2 megs in size, so I have downsized them significantly to satisfy the 160K upload limit. I would be pleased (and flattered) to send a full sized photo should anyone care for one.

Here is a a vista from Arches park, near the Fiery Furnace viewpoint.
    Cheers............Rod
    BMWMOA# 114168 IBA# 19606
    "Road Worthy": http://www.trafford.com/Bookstore/Bo...=SKU-000167680

It was time to take stock and handle some administrative matters. My wife, who graciously supports my cross country "walkabouts", managed to get a last minute air ticket from Ottawa to Denver, where she would be in 36 hours. We would spend a few days in Denver together. I had been to Colorado Springs (Cheyenne Mountain), but never to Denver. Nor had Sheila.

Georgia Sue (my GS) was now clocking almost 5K kms on this trip. Given faithfull unflinching service in all temperatures and altitudes, I figured an oil and filter change was the least I could do. I called Foothills BMW-Denver and arranged to come in the next day. They are on the west side of Denver in Lakewood. Knowing I would approach Denver from that side, and that it would be new territory for me, I wanted to keep my routing simple.

Last summer I had a very unfortunate and frankly unsatisfactory experience with the BMW dealer in Calgary, Alberta. I'd had an oil leak in southern Saskatchewan, and needed help. Without going into details, let me simply say that the dealer didn't want to help me, and in fact refused even to change my oil.
    (I ended up changing it myself at my brother-in-law's home in Canmore. I always carry the tools, filter ratchet, and filter/crush washers in case I get stuck just like this.)

So when Murray at Foothills BMW said "no problem, come on in, we will make room for you" , I was both relieved and impressed with the service orientation.
    Last edited by L Rider; 08-21-2004 at 09:36 AM.
    Cheers............Rod

I like to get up and ride early. When I am on the road, every morning feels a little like Christmas morning. As soon as I am awake, I get excited by the thought of pushing that starter button and getting into gear. So sleeping in is almost unheard of for me on the road, I just can't do it.

Generally I am an early riser anyway. This trip I was usually on my way "out of town" by 5:00 to 5:30 AM. To do this, I would be out of bed by 4:00 AM. The daily preparations are the same every morning. Do my personal routine, check the weather channel, pack my duffel and side bag, clean and ready the gear, pack the bike, check fluid levels, tires, lights, log entry, zero the GPS, final check of maps etc., gear up and go. All in the same order, at least I tried to (good advice from Ron Ayres in his book "Going the Extra Mile").

I love watching the sunrise, especially from the back of my bike. Particularly from 30 minutes before the sun actually appears. If lucky, I would see lots of colours. At that time, you also own the road.

Here are a few shots at sunrise, around 5:45 AM, just north of Moab. The first appears quite lightful, but it was really very dusky.
    Last edited by L Rider; 08-21-2004 at 09:40 AM.
    Cheers............Rod

The rock formations seemed to abruptly butt up against what I would call semi-desert. Here is the sun just peeking over a rock formation.
    Cheers............Rod

Nice photos rider......

Southern Utah is one of my favorite places to kill time on the bike, no matter how many times you go, there is always something you haven't seen yet

Thanks for taking the time to share your ride with the rest of the asylum

About 20 minutes later.
    Cheers............Rod

On my way to Denver, I came upon the Colorado again.....
    Cheers............Rod

Another.
    Cheers............Rod

It was at this point in my trip that I had my closest calls with danger. Three in fact. I've heard that things come in three's, perhaps getting this all over within 30 minutes was a good thing? All near Loveland Pass on the I-70.

The first was a near collision. A minivan pulled in front of me and nearly cut me off. I backed off and let it go. This, however, is just the begining, and I should mention I am hard not to see from the front since I run "on" at all times PIAA 540s with H3 extreme white bulbs. A mile or two down the road I am passing a transport truck and rounding a dogleg-right corner. Suddenly in front of me is the offending minivan, in my lane, moving slower than myself or the transport. The van puts on its left turn signal (yes left, and this is in the left lane of a two lane interstate where vehicles are travelling 75 mph) brakes hard, and starts to pull over to the left. The only problem is, there is no room for it on the left. Those of you who have travelled this road I'm sure can relate. I hit my brakes, horn, and try to think of what evasive action I can take so as to not hit the back of this vehicle. Or more importantly, stay in one piece. The transport truck sees what is happening, anticipates a possible move by the van to the right across its path (remember there really isn't room to stop on the left), and hits the brakes as well. So, there is a transport on my right braking hard, about 3 feet away from my right shoulder, a van in front braking hard moving left, and cars behind me doing 75 mph. Basically I am boxed in. A 5 foot gap between the right side of the van and the left side of the transport opens, and I go through it, at about 60 mph. I don't know what happened after that, because I didn't stick around to find out.

I don't like to judge situations when I may not have all the facts. For example, what if the minivan driver was having a medical emergency? All I can say for sure is that it was a close call.

Now for number two. I'm usually pretty calm. But I don't mind admitting this shook me up a little. A few more miles up the road I pulled off at a rest stop, to collect my wits and calm down. I stop the bike, put the sidestand down, and start to swing my right leg back over top to dismount. But I haven't paid attention to the incline. The bike starts to roll forward, the sidestand collapses up, and in this compromised situation I am trying to keep this heavily laden bike upright. I struggle for what seems like an eternity (a few bystanders look on with wide eyes and don't know what to do), and need every ounce of my strenght to right the bike and swing my right leg back on. I sit with my right foot firmly over the brake, preventing the roll, panting out of breath. I sat like that for 15 minutes remembering there would be days like this.

So, once calmed down, I'm off again. Now for number three. As I climb Loveland Pass, elevation 11,902 feet, I see dark clouds looming. But in other parts of the sky, it's reasonably clear, so I press on. The sky gets darker, and it starts to rain. I don't mind rain at all. Like yourselves, I am geared for it, often ride in it, and sometimes would even say I like it. Hail, however, is different. Especially big hailstones that hurt when they hit you. Which is exactly what happened. Beside damage to me and my bike, I was concerned about traction. And the traffic wasn't slowing down much. I drove for a few minutes looking for a safe place to pull off. A clearing on the right appeared, at what I would later determine to be the entrance to Eisenhower Tunnel at Loveland Pass. As I am standing in the hail, by the side of the road, trying to put my 'stitch triple digits on, all of a sudden a very loud siren wails (even through my earplugs I hear it loudly), and lights start to flash. Gates are closing. I see a huge truck coming to a quick stop in front of the tunnel. There is a man in a yellow outfit with a big stick running towards it, in the hail, and the cars are stopping as well. What is going on!? Am I safe? What more could happen today?

There is a reasonable explanation for most things. As best I can figure after the fact, the truck tripped a height sensor which prevents oversized vehicles from running into the top of the tunnel. The man with the stick uses it to measure maximum permissible height.

In any event, the hail stopped, and I moved on. This photo shows my GPS at an elevation of 10.6 K feet, somewhere near where all this happened.
    Last edited by L Rider; 08-21-2004 at 09:53 AM.
    Cheers............Rod

When I got to Denver I found Foothills BMW easily. True to his word, Murray the service man looked after me efficiently and happily. I looked through the store, and found things I had never seen before in Canada. All manner of BMW gear. Gloves and other apparel in the flesh. "Held" gloves, very nice. And a waiting lounge with coffee and cookies. Life can't be bad can it?

I met a nice couple from Davenport. They had lived in the Denver area and gave me some tips for things to do with my wife, who would arrive the next morning. They said they were considering a move to Canada, but were concerned about the short biking season. I explained that in some parts of Canada, such as southern British Columbia and southern Ontario, the season is almost all year, other than for the odd bit of nasty weather. My home province, Saskatchewan, would have a much shorter season.

All done in short order, I'm off to the hotel to meet with Sheila the next morning.
    Cheers............Rod

Rocky Mountain National park was great. The road over the top spectacular, above the tree line and at the snow line. Here are my wife and I at the visitor center at over 12 K feet elevation........
    Last edited by L Rider; 09-21-2004 at 12:46 AM.
    Cheers............Rod

I'll do the rest of the trip later. I hope you have enjoyed it so far.......
    Cheers............Rod

USERNAME
    great report, great photos, great writing. your 'three dangers' section was well put-together. sounds like you kept a cool head and did well in all situations.

keep it coming!

Originally posted by jgr451
    Yes I love the BIG SKY too,you described it very aptly.
    I grew up in Manitoba and have crossed the prairies from BC to the east by bike a number of times.People dismiss that drive as straight and boring but there is a majesty and subtlety there that is not like any other place.
    I couldn't agree more!! Thanks....
    Cheers............Rod

Originally posted by cgarr
    Nice photos rider......

Southern Utah is one of my favorite places to kill time on the bike, no matter how many times you go, there is always something you haven't seen yet

Thanks for taking the time to share your ride with the rest of the asylum
    Thanks my pleasure!! You are lucky being close to such great riding......
    Cheers............Rod