Thread: It must be the long way to the Rally

ride_on

It must be the long way to the Rally

Has anyone else noticed that the mileage on the Johnson City graphic with the circles for 300, 400, 500 and 600 miles is incorrect.
    It's only about 150 miles to Charleston, 300 to Pittsburgh and 400 to Detroit according to Streets and Trips.

Quote Originally Posted by ride_on View Post
    Has anyone else noticed that the mileage on the Johnson City graphic with the circles for 300, 400, 500 and 600 miles is incorrect.
    It's only about 150 miles to Charleston, 300 to Pittsburgh and 400 to Detroit according to Streets and Trips.
    Not if you take the little, twisty, 2 lane, scenic roads on which you ought to be riding.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://www.bigbend.net/users/glaves

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Not if you take the little, twisty, 2 lane, scenic roads on which you ought to be riding.
    +1

Allows for speedometer error and tire usage calculation. You don't really want to change 'um at the rally, Do you?

Who's counting?

I never add my miles ridden 'till I get home after the trip. Maybe to change my oil somewhere on the road, I keep rough track of miles. Ride, count later. Randy

RK Ryder
    I didn't notice that but rather that the circles go over into Canada but name no Canadian cities.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: FY K100RT, '80 XS850 with Vetter Quicksilver, '67 Bonnie, '66 Honda 90

Mapsource lists Detroit to Johnson City via the "fast" route at 567 miles. Via the "short" route it is 515 miles.

400? I don't think so...
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511
    YB #2005

Old man in the mountains osbornk's Avatar
    Marion VA-In the middle of some of the best riding in the country.
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWPhreak View Post
    Mapsource lists Detroit to Johnson City via the "fast" route at 567 miles. Via the "short" route it is 515 miles.

400? I don't think so...
    There is a dfifference between "as the crow flies" when you do a graphic and "as the roads go". As an experiement, I did a dealer seach for the 2 closest Chevrolet dealers outside of Marion. The dealer locator said the distance to the dealer in Tazewell is 22 miles but Mapquest tells me it is 36 miles. The dealer in Richlands is 24 miles away per the dealer locator but 50.8 miles per Mapquest.
    'You can say what you want about the South, but I almost never hear of anyone wanting to retire to the North.

My Streets and Trips shows Pittsburgh to Johnson City the fastest way is 460 miles. You did mean Pitsburgh, PA didn't you? I would recheck your cyphering.

Rick G
    2004 BMW R 1150 GS - My Big Black Pig!
    2009 Triumph T100 - Neo Classic Retro Tourer.
    2009 Vespa GTS 250 Super - Just for Kicks and Giggles
    2009 Sym Fiddle II - For Sale

ride_on
    Quote Originally Posted by RickG View Post
    My Streets and Trips shows Pittsburgh to Johnson City the fastest way is 460 miles. You did mean Pitsburgh, PA didn't you? I would recheck your cyphering.

Rick G
    The circles represent a radius from Johnson City. In a straight line, Pittsburgh, PA is 300 miles from Johnson City.