Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: where to buy helmet

cheesewhiz
    Is it tacky to ask your local dealer to match or get close to the internet price?

scqtt
    Quote Originally Posted by qnowfrk View Post
    You can research what you want from a dealer. If they won't match the price on a mailorder website, go to them.
    How much does your research cost the dealer?

You and people like you are why local dealers are drying up.

I would be ashamed of myself for doing "research", which is your code for trying on and deciding what you want at the dealer and then going home and ordering it online.

The olny thing cheap about a BMW is its rider.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesewhiz View Post
    Is it tacky to ask your local dealer to match or get close to the internet price?
    I think that depends upon where you are. Other than Scorpion, pretty much every helmet sold at a dealership in Canada has to be purchased through a "wholesaler/importer". These 3rd parties have their mark up which of course gets passed on to the dealership who in turn has to add his margin onto that. In this case, I would say it is tacky to ask because there is no way my local dealer (importer markup, currency differential, etc) can match a price from newenough.com or others.

My wife and I don't necessarily buy from our local BMW dealer but we do purchase our stuff from local businesses. The biggest issue we see is the lack of staff in the local motorcycle stores.
    Robert
    2010 Suzuki GSX1250SEA
    ÔÇ£If you get in too far over your head, remember - full throttle and make it spectacular!ÔÇØ http://www.yearroundriders.com

My last helmet purchase was from one of the MOA rally vendors, good deal, they shipped my old one home for free, and it was a helmet my local dealer did not stock.
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

If my local dealer does not have what I want, I go to www.helmetcity.com.

Easy

I'm picking up a new Arai Profile tomorrow at a local dealer.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

tcreimers
    + 1 on The Helmet Shop (http://www.helmetshop.com). I ordered a Nolan N103 online with the BasicKit2 and BluetoothKit2 and I received notice that it shipped within 2 hours of the purchase. I received it two days later with the comm kits already installed at no charge! Great customer service and the prices are hard to beat!

I tend to be a dealer supporter as well. I find it very disingenuous to shop around for fit then buy online. I buy a lot of stuff online, but not if I need to try it on, etc. And my dealer, although he can't match online, comes close enough for me to support him.

One important thing to consider. I ride track and many (all?) track days do a helmet inspection and check the manufacturing date of the helmet. If it is more than 5 years old, you can't use it. Often, when you buy a helmet 'brand new', you'll see that it is already 2 or 3 years old, having been sitting on a shelf. With my brick and mortar dealer, I can stipulate that the helmet better be no more than 6 months old or I won't buy it.

Look for the dates on any "new" helmet you are planning to purchase. On Arai, it is on the strap by the D Ring. Others vary, but they all have a date.

Robo
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

Since posting this simple question a few weeks ago, I am quite taken aback by the number of angry replies it generated. Well, I guess some of those folks either have too much disposable income, or not enough common sense to realize that internet commerce is a very very good thing for the consumer.

Considering how much money I have spent over the years at BMW dealers purchasing motorcycles, having them serviced, and having them upgraded, and buying things like helmets, rainsuites, and riding gear, why are some of you begrudgeing me (and others) from also buying needed accessories elsewhere at an affordable price, and with a decent selection. Yes, my local dealers have a great selection of helmets, if you don't mind paying $600-$800 dollars for an overpriced Arai helmet, or a Nolan 103 with intercom and bluetooth and all that other crap, or $450 -$600 for top of the line Shoei, when what I really wanted was a Shoei TZ-R. And why don't BMW dealers sell high quality aftermarket motorcycle covers like the Guardian Weatherall Plus, instead of that stupid BMW cover with the clear plastic window for viewing the license plate? and p.s.- the BMW brand cover didn't even fit that well. And as for clothing, well. all i can say is if I really wanted to spend $800 or more for a jacket and $400 for pants, I'd go to Nordstroms and buy a Hickey Freedman suit!

I'm old school when it comes to riding apparrel. I like thick leather jackets, deerskin riding gloves, maybe a pair of leather chaps, real leather boots. The small selection of leather riding apparrel available at most motorcycle dealers (except Harley, of course...but then who wants to wear a low quality jacket that also says Harley Davidson all over it!!) almost requires that one use internet sites to find these products (Vansen, Fox Creek Leather, etc).

So to those of you who think they must always buy everything from their local dealers, well, all I can say is goodby and good luck.

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft FredRydr's Avatar
    For Arai: http://www.theservicepavilion.com/

I'm lucky, because the B&M store is local to me, but they attend many many events, races and shows, too.

Fred

2wheelsround-The Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercindy View Post
    I support my dealer when I can, so that's where I buy my helmets. The appreciation is there when I take my bike in for service, etc... I go online when my dealer doesn't carry what I'm buying.

That, and I'd recommend not buying a helmet without wearing it around for 15-20 minutes. That's the only way to make sure there aren't any "hotspots" that might crop up during a long ride. You can't do that online. And speaking of that, I'd never try on a helmet, or any other article of clothing, at a local store then turn around and buy it online. I know people who do it, but to me its distastefully dishonest behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by krehmkej View Post
    +2 on dishonesty.

I buy everything that I wear in local shops where I can get fitted right. The little extra it may cost is more than offset by savings on mail order stuff that doesn't fit right and has to be exchanged or sold/ given away at a big loss.
    +3 This pertains to cigars as well. If you are an active member of a cigar shop, buy from your dealer as well. Once they go away, I mean either the helmet dealer or cigar dealer, we are all left with "on-line" shops. Ouch

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    It's never been a question of money because I can't find ANY riding gear I want at local dealers and that's why I buy online. Hell, I even had to special order a clear Scorpion face shield from the dealer that does the repairs I don't do myself. I bought that helmet online (direct from Scorpion) because there were no local Scorpion dealers at the time.

New Enough gets most of my business because they know what they're selling, go to extremes to describe the items and fit, show accurate availability, and have a superb return policy.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

It is true that selection of kit at ANY dealer I've visited is poor. Some dealers carry a few lines well, but most don't. They have few lines, few selections stocked in a brand, and then no selection of sizes.

It would be nice to have a "Home Depot" of kit. All the brands, styles, sizes, etc. But then, unless maybe they were in a huge metropolitan area, they'd go out of business.

I've been to a couple of "Cycle Gear" stores and it is the same thing. They don't carry samples of all the styles within a brand, and then of course, only a few sizes. You really have to go online anymore to get a good idea what's out there.

Robo
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

where to buy helmet

i for sure know where not to ever buy from again. helmet city.com bought a helmet and extra face shield. sent the helmet and stiffed me for the gold tinted face shield. will not respond to my refund request or send me what i payed for.
    stay away from them. should have known better. based in oakland california.

I got an idea!

The perfect place. Go to the dealer where you service your bike. Try on a dozen or so helmets, ask a bunch of questions. Then go home, go on line, and get it from the motorcycle superstore. Your dealer won't mind!

NOT

Go to your dealer, get the sizing correct, and get the customer service you expect from somebody you can trust. Build some good will; every dollar extra you spend at the dealers will come back to you through KARMA.

Buying a helmet is such a fickle thing because heads are so different; I can't imagine buying one on line without first sticking it on my head!

If Karma doesn’t happen, or your dealer doesn't have the selection you should expect, man you got the wrong dealer!