Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16

Thread: Mesh Protection?

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    48

    Mesh Protection?

    I really would like to get a pair of mesh overpants for this summer that I could wear with bike shorts or even just my underwear . I've looked at the wide variety that first Gear, Olympia ect...make and also at the Motoport Kevlar Mesh. Here is my question...how much more protective is nylon mesh if any over say Cortech riding jeans with knee armor and added leather on the hips? In the case of a low side "get off" , will the Olympia mesh pants be destroyed as quickly as a pair of jeans (both of which I will only be wearing tighty whiteys), or will they hold up longer and protect more. Obviously I'm going for the "cool" ride in temps over 80 f and also for ease of wearing my work clothes under pants for commuting puposes.

    The Motoport site makes it sound like "if it aint kevlar...then it aint working"

    thoughts please.
    Patrick Donovan
    '04 1150RT
    Lapeer, Michigan

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Covington, LA
    Posts
    78
    I think it's a personal decision. I'm no pro, but here's my 2 cents. Living in southern LA the heat and humidity just takes a lot of the pleasure out of summer riding after 10 AM. I've gone to Olympia Airglides for pants. Prior to that I had Tourmaster/Cortech full non-mesh textile in black. I'd never buy black mesh, defeats the purpose in my mind. Never the less the textile was just too hot and found myself packing my pockets with ice at every stop. So in my mind and other words of wisdom in terms of protection it's leather as #1, then textile, then mesh and finally denim jeans. The mesh being only slightly better than jeans at ripping the thigh areas out, but the sliding areas like butt and knees are heavier textile fabric with pads which will help some. Kevlar mesh must be better than regular mesh IMHO, but not sure how much added protection you get as it is still mesh.

  3. #3
    Registered User amiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Murrells Inlet, S. C.
    Posts
    867
    I figure that mesh protective garments are a sort of trade off. Hereabouts it would be too unpleasant to ride with non mesh protective garments in the summer. I worry more about the fit of the trousers keeping the pads in place (over bones close to the skin) for effective protection.

    I would recommend LD comfort bloomer style underwear under the mesh, dries quickly and does not have those torturer designed thick leg seams. Rinse them out overnight & if not entirely dry, they soon will be on the road. I bought two of the short ones, if I had it to do over I would have bought one short & one long. I cheat & use a Wal-mart synthetic t shirt on top. These would probably help under more restricted Vent wise motor garb as well.

  4. #4
    Seeking Mental Floss
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    San Antonio, Tx
    Posts
    2,997
    I wear FirstGear HD overpants, with shorts underneath. These have remained comfortable, even in Texas heat, and provide hip and knee padding for protection. They are easily removed at your destination, or at a rest stop. They have a rain liner, if you choose to ride in it. A good product.
    Hugh

    2008 Goldwing
    Life is a Cabernet!

  5. #5
    Honey Badger Semper_Fi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kingston, NH
    Posts
    5,725
    I wear first gear mesh pants with running compression shorts which wick.

    Personally I find that jeans are not as cooling and cause me to sweat.

    On any ride that is more than one our i am wearing mesh pants.

    As to protection I would say both are about the same
    2011 R1200 GSA Smoke Grey Metallic Matt
    2009 G450X White
    IBA #35651
    Rogue Moderator

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    48

    Wow on LD shorts

    Quote Originally Posted by amiles View Post
    I figure that mesh protective garments are a sort of trade off. Hereabouts it would be too unpleasant to ride with non mesh protective garments in the summer. I worry more about the fit of the trousers keeping the pads in place (over bones close to the skin) for effective protection.

    I would recommend LD comfort bloomer style underwear under the mesh, dries quickly and does not have those torturer designed thick leg seams. Rinse them out overnight & if not entirely dry, they soon will be on the road. I bought two of the short ones, if I had it to do over I would have bought one short & one long. I cheat & use a Wal-mart synthetic t shirt on top. These would probably help under more restricted Vent wise motor garb as well.
    I don't know about the mesh pants yet, but I'm definately getting a pair of LD shorts!!! I checked out their videos and I'm sold.
    Patrick Donovan
    '04 1150RT
    Lapeer, Michigan

  7. #7
    Registered User DXMENON's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Parrish, FL
    Posts
    47

    LD Shorts

    Patrick, can't go wrong with the LD shorts....
    Deepak Menon
    2006 Red R1200RT

  8. #8
    Registered User kgadley01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    3,520
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickDonovan View Post
    I don't know about the mesh pants yet, but I'm definately getting a pair of LD shorts!!! I checked out their videos and I'm sold.
    I bought a pair of LD shorts at the Gillette Rally. very worthwhile investment!!!!

  9. #9
    Rpbump USN RET CPO Rpbump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    1,003

    Thumbs up

    If you like LD shorts (I do) check out Under Armor shorts. They wick moisture away from your skin and are very comfortable plus they are half the price of LD shorts.
    Ride Safe

  10. #10
    Bob 108625's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Big Sky country (Montana)
    Posts
    1,166
    I've learned that mesh melts; a lot more easily than you might think. I wouldn't wear it as pants without fabric between it and my hide, and I wouldn't wear it on any bike where it may come close to a hot exhaust. Armored jeans may be hot, but after a few desert deployments I'm used to armor being hot.

  11. #11
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Corona Del Mar, California
    Posts
    378
    I don't think you can beat the Motoport Kevlar mesh for hot temps or protection. I crash tested mine and there was no damage to me or the suit. I surely would have had major road rash and a broken arm without it. The Kevlar is super tough and will outlive anything else out there, including the rider. Now, there is even better armor for the Motoport suit called Quad4. The Olympia stuff is only cheaper, the Motoport is better in every way except price. Even in a minor fall, the Motoport will pay for itself with no damage to the suit, and probably the least possible damage to the rider of any suit made.

    The only problem with Motoport, and other mesh suits, is that in hot areas where it rains (Florida), it is a real hassle to get the liners in and out. I live in California, so its not much of a problem here. In hot dry weather, I find the Motoport more comfortable than normal clothes because you carry your shade around with you with the mesh.

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    48

    Melting mesh?

    Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    I've learned that mesh melts; a lot more easily than you might think. I wouldn't wear it as pants without fabric between it and my hide, and I wouldn't wear it on any bike where it may come close to a hot exhaust. Armored jeans may be hot, but after a few desert deployments I'm used to armor being hot.
    That is my primary concern regarding nylon mesh. Even though they say it's "ballistic" or "denier" (whatever that is), if it's sliding down the road, what will last longer...mesh or denim?
    Patrick Donovan
    '04 1150RT
    Lapeer, Michigan

  13. #13
    Happy to be here! :) The_Veg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Atlanta 'burbs
    Posts
    5,303
    Quote Originally Posted by carockwell View Post
    The only problem with Motoport, and other mesh suits, is that in hot areas where it rains (Florida), it is a real hassle to get the liners in and out.
    Don't you think that it would be SO much easier to just use a rainsuit instead? That's what I do.
    Bikeless for now...but not forever!

    "If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

  14. #14
    EyeBiker
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Abingdon, VA
    Posts
    215
    +1 for raingear (in my case FrogTogs) over the MotoPort/CyclePort Kevlar mesh pants. They are much easier to get into than trying to get the waterprooof liner inside the pants, and they pack easily.

    Calmil

  15. #15
    ltljohn LTLJOHN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Haycock, PA
    Posts
    634
    Quote Originally Posted by calmil View Post
    +1 for raingear (in my case FrogTogs) over the MotoPort/CyclePort Kevlar mesh pants. They are much easier to get into than trying to get the waterprooof liner inside the pants, and they pack easily.

    Calmil
    +1 Works great for me too!
    USN Retired
    '02 R1150 RT

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •