Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who makes a good rain suit out there and what works?

cheesewhiz
    Quote Originally Posted by edwarddieck View Post
    Frogg Toggs. Go to their web site and look at the close outs. Got one for $20.00. Wore it about 2 hrs this weekend and was very satisfied.

Ed
    Gee thanks ed, it's not like I'm trying to sell my extra one or nothin' !!

Nelson Rigg

My vote is for Nelson Rigg.
    I forgot the model number, but it is relatively new (came out last year) and it has vents under the arms so you do not fry.
    Very high quality construction.
    I rode through light rain, heavy stuff (I had to pull over for 40 minutes), and a torrential pour (chaos) and the suit worked flawlessly.
    you will not be disappointed.
    "What is beautiful is simple, and what is simple always works"....Kalashnikov, inventor of the AK-47.
    Currently bikeless, but looking hard! "Center yourself in the vertizontal. Ride a motorcycle...namaste' "

I will arbitrate the Frogg Togg situation! I went to the site and looked and there are many models so how can you argue over price not knowing the model offered?
    As to the fishing in the rain and the $250 comment-I don't think so! I wear army ponchos to fish, ride tractor and pay around $3 for one-also my/our football game attire in the rain or if cooler I wear the newer army gortex parka(replaced the old heavy field jacket)-it is the best medium weight coat I have ever owned.I had to cough up $10 for the parka. They are dense weave cloth, velcro wrists,hoods,big pockets,light weight to wear and to tell the truth probably better stuff than what a lot of people ride in.
    If you watch what the commercial fishing people wear you get an idea what works in lots of rain.

Rally Rat

rain suit

I agree that the Frog Toggs are the best bang for the buck. Buy the Bib Pants setup. If I know I am in for an all-day, Floriday Hurricane type rainstorm I put the Frog Toggs UNDER my Aerostich because the 'stich will eventually leak if you ride fast in heavy rain. Put the hood on the Toggs jacket up, put the helmet over the hood--NO WATER DOWN THE NECK!!! Arrive dry and comfortable.

Brett
    Your basic Tour Master rain suit under $100.00 and I have never got wet in it. Also use it as an extra layer when cold. It has kept me warm and completely dry in all day down pours packs small and can go over any gear and did I mention it keeps you really dry!

Brett Endress
    Altoona Pa

Tour Master Defender

Haven't gotten wet yet!

Good reflective material so you show up at night.

A real value.
    I used to post here, but now I don't.

Who makes a good rain suit out there and what works?

This is the Frogg Toggs suit you want. It is the Elite model, not the Tyvek material used in their low priced suits.

http://www.graniteoutdoors.com/id42.html

It breathes and the jacket is very fashionable looking, if that is how you want to appear.

I have owned an older model of this suit for about four years and it has never failed to keep me dry, even in the most torrential downpours.

Just want to say thanks for all the great information. Looks like it boiled down to three main sources: Nelson Riggs, Tourmaster, and an overwhelming passionate shout out for Frogg Toggs. Either you Frog Togg owners are really share holders involved in some kind of conspiracy or that stuff really works great. I remember holding a Frogg Toggs set in my hands at the Vermont Rally and thinking they felt more like a set of flannel pajamas. I'm certainly a believer and hope to check out a pair at the Tennessee rally in July.

On thing I like about the Polyurethane-backed nylon type suits are the hooded collars which for some reason I've never deployed my own jacket to try under my helmet. I will next time in hard rain. One other advantage to the Tourmaster/ Nelson Riggs type styles are the bright colors and the extra reflective trim pieces for high visibility.

Also mentioned was Nick Plenzick's 2 piece suit from his web site and also sold at Road Gear. High quality and pricey compared to the massed produced lines.

Oddly enough I ended up buying a pair of those Proof brand rain gloves which Alex (GlobleRider) showed on the 6th post. They don't ship to the US so I had them sent to a friend in London just so I could get a pair. Only place I could find them.

Keep in mind the rain suit I own works pretty good overall, however you don't know how good your suit works until you ride in a downpour for a few hours. I will definitely try one of the new brands in the next month or so.

During the summer months I ride with a beaded seat from Beadrider.com and that makes a huge difference keeping your butt off the seat and dry.

Thanks again for the great info.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ultracyclist View Post
    My vote is for Nelson Rigg.
    I forgot the model number, but it is relatively new (came out last year) and it has vents under the arms so you do not fry.
    Very high quality construction.
    I rode through light rain, heavy stuff (I had to pull over for 40 minutes), and a torrential pour (chaos) and the suit worked flawlessly.
    you will not be disappointed.
    Sounds like someone who appreciates the complexity of our weather here in the midwest.

Thursday, my son and I went on a little 'Six State Jaunt' that covered 1,400+ miles by Saturday evening (4/25). We only made it to the Wittenburg area of WI Thursday morning before we were treated to 36 degrees and rain. Rain lasted all the way to Wausau (Thunderstorm at that point!), and our Nelson-Rigg raingear performed flawlessly, so two thumbs up for this brand.

By the time we were heading northwest from the twin cities of MN towards ND, it hit 90 degrees, and we were stripping off layers faster than a pole dancer at Bike Week.

Friday brought wind advisories, as we headed south thru ND and SD, and then on into IA, with 40+ mph gusts as traveling companions. By the time we had lunch in Nebraska, Mother Nature had actually settled down and the day was pleasant.

Saturday has us digging out the Nelson-Riggs again, the day never getting over 46 degrees as we traversed a wet MN and WI to get home.

The right gear makes all the difference!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Quote Originally Posted by Greenwald View Post
    we were stripping off layers faster than a pole dancer at Bike Week.

St Paul

Areostich

I went from Texas to Key West to Prudhoe Bay and back to texas.
    If you would not ride the rain, you would not get there, never stopped
    to put on a rain suit. The stich is like wearing a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by PAULBACH View Post
    Frogg Toggs do the job and take up very little space. Have used them for years.
    i must say that i *own* some frogg toggs but have never used them. it's good to know they work, though.

my normal riding gear is an aerostich darien. while it is not waterproof, it is good for a couple of hours in just about any conditions.

so... when it starts raining, i may have to zip up a vent or two, but i keep on going.

and then the conversation with myself starts:

"man, it's really starting to rain hard"

"naw. it'll let up shortly. it's such a pita to stop and put on that damn suit."

"hmmm... starting to feel a little trickle."

"ahhhh. it's gonna stop any second"

"crap, now i am sorta wet, it's too late to put on the rainsuit."

honest, i don't know why i even bring the frogg toggs with me. i guess that if i *know* it's going to rain hard all day i would start off with the rainsuit on.

i do like my triple digit glove covers, though.

ian
    Go soothingly through the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon.

Quote Originally Posted by TomBarnhart View Post
    I... I put the Frog Toggs UNDER my Aerostich because the 'stich will eventually leak if you ride fast in heavy rain. Put the hood on the Toggs jacket up, put the helmet over the hood--NO WATER DOWN THE NECK!!! Arrive dry and comfortable.
    thank you for confirming what i thought might work.

i hate the michelin man look, hell, i barely need a rainsuit to achieve that as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    my normal riding gear is an aerostich darien. while it is not waterproof, it is good for a couple of hours in just about any conditions.
    Interesting. When I was wearing a Darien I never got wet. I don't think the guy who bought the jacket from me when I changed to an R2P suit has ever been wet in it, either. Both of us have ridden all day in the rain. I did wash it every fall and apply a good coating of Nikwax spray on after pulling it out of the washer, before hanging it up to dry.

In the 70's I bought two piece yellow slickers from sears. They'd last about a season and were cheap enough to toss and replace. I didn't have waterproof boots in those days. The totes always seemed to tear, leaving me with wet feet.

In the 80's I used one piece Rukka and BMW rainsuits. Both worked, but were too hot for summer use. I still had wet feet.

In the 90s I followed a Bob Higdon recommendation and used a two piece Hondaline rainsuit. It kept me dry and wasn't quite as hot as the Rukka and BMW suits. I discovered Nikwax for boots and graduated from wet to damp feet.

The last 10 years have been goretex in one form or another. I've had great luck with that gear save once... The liner on one jacket I purchased was a touch too short. It folded up a bit in the back, one day, dumping lots of cold water into my otherwise waterproof pants. That was the last time I wore that jacket/liner; a shorter friend now owns it. I also discovered goretex waterproof boots. Dry feet at last.

// marc

Quote Originally Posted by marchyman View Post
    Interesting. When I was wearing a Darien I never got wet. I don't think the guy who bought the jacket from me when I changed to an R2P suit has ever been wet in it, either. Both of us have ridden all day in the rain. I did wash it every fall and apply a good coating of Nikwax spray on after pulling it out of the washer, before hanging it up to dry.
    well, i should qualify.

i have one darien with plenty of use. i do treat it regularly with the nikwax products, but it still starts letting water in after a few hours of hard rain. mostly in the upper chest area.

i also have a newer darien, and it peforms much better.

i think that, over time, the proofness of the goretex and nylon wear out? least it seems so to me.

also, i ride a GS, with little weather protection. a fairing makes a big difference.

ian