Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Who makes a good rain suit out there and what works?

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    What he said, best suit I have ever used, light, compact, waterproof and BREATHS!!! Many suit keep the rain out, but soak you with sweat, If I am going to get wet, I would rather have rain it smells less.
    Agree, Frogg Toggs will keep you dry even in a downpour. New line for motorcycling has reflective piping and longer boot zippers, storm flaps, etc.
    Only downside is they make you look like the Michelin Man (or woman).

Once there was a Tavern PAULBACH's Avatar
    Ballston Spa, NY; South of the Adirondacks, North of the Catskills and West of The Berkshires and Green Mountains
    Quote Originally Posted by beemergirl View Post
    Agree, Frogg Toggs will keep you dry even in a downpour. New line for motorcycling has reflective piping and longer boot zippers, storm flaps, etc.
    Only downside is they make you look like the Michelin Man (or woman).
    But you will be a warm and dry Michelin Man.

Frogg Toggs do the job and take up very little space. Have used them for years.
    Paul Bachorz - F Twins Moderator
    RA Rallymeister - Pownal, Vermont
    Click here.

Maybe I don't get it but I don't even own any rain gear. I wear British Motorcycle Gear, upper and lower, and my wife wears Olympus jacket and Harley (gasp!) pants. We've ridden in hard rain all day long and have not been wet.
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

Frogg Toggs. Go to their web site and look at the close outs. Got one for $20.00. Wore it about 2 hrs this weekend and was very satisfied.

Ed

bob1100rtc
    Wife and I love our frogg toggs.

K Bikes Complex by Choice cjack's Avatar
    We have BMW two piece Goretex suits. Dry and cool in all day rain, downpours for hours, etc. We used to use NorthFace Goretex mountain light suits and the BMW ones are equal or better for protection. And cool in the summer.
    My other bike is a BMW.
    Jack Hawley MOA and RA #224, KE9UW ("Chuck")

I've found textile stuff to be great until you wash them. Then, despite using appropriate products, they leak.

Quote Originally Posted by cheesewhiz View Post
    Frogg Toggs
    But will they last 10 years? The stuff looks like J-Cloth material.

+another 1 for the Froggs

Quote Originally Posted by pffog View Post
    What he said, best suit I have ever used, light, compact, waterproof and BREATHS!!! Many suit keep the rain out, but soak you with sweat, If I am going to get wet, I would rather have rain it smells less.
    They also make a great windbreak to wear over a mesh suit for chilly mornings. I've used them for years and LOVE them!
    Bikeless for now...but not forever!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    But will they last 10 years?
    I don't know. I threw out my first set at 6 years when I melted a hole in them on the exhaust pipe.
    Bikeless for now...but not forever!

"If you can't fix it with a hammer, it's electrical." -somebody's dad

taller than wide GRANTMACEACHERN's Avatar

Overpant

I've been using a Darien set-up for a few years now. I've done hours in heavy rain and not got wet. There was one extended ride when my bottom was getting what felt like dampness after water ponded on the seat for an hour or so.

Anyhow, I was just in the dealer on Monday looking for commuter suits. They had a shiny, new BMW Overpant suit on display. Looked very nice. It seems to go over your street clothes. To me it looked more of a city over-suit vs full touring. Also, the front zipper did not have a storm flap, so i suspect light rain only. Good looking suit though.....
    g r a n t

J cloth???
    The only source I came up with for the Proof overgloves is in UK and their website doesn't mention USA shipping?
    I wear a hein-Gerike jacket and I have never been wet on the inside with it-"IF" I had the liner installed-same goes for BMW Kalhari pants,"IF" the liner was worn. The biggest hurdle I have found with MC rain gear is the fit. I have a 39-40 waist and a larger chest but short legs, so everything I have tried that goes over the other stuff-as in protective clothing- is waaaaayyyyy too long in the legs and what with the design not easy to alter at the cuff-any ideas out there in this respect?
    Last edited by kantuckid; 04-23-2009 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kantuckid View Post
    The only source I came up with for the Proof overgloves is in UK and their website doesn't mention USA shipping?
    No worries; similar overgloves and overboots are available in the US as well. You'll have to hunt down the source, but I know I've seen them listed in catalogs here.

I got mine at either Louis or Hein Gericke in Germany...wait a minute...you now have a reason to take a trip.

FatChance
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyDad View Post
    Tourmaster Sentinel two piece
    ^This.

BUDDINGGEEZER
    Quote Originally Posted by GlobalRider View Post
    But will they last 10 years? The stuff looks like J-Cloth material.
    If you never take them out of the package.

They have kept me dry riding, but they are not very tough. IMO they are not worth the money.

I ride and fish in the rain. One word "Gortex". I have a Cabela's gore tex rain suit and have never gotten wet. I just spent 3 days fishing in downpours and remained dry. Usually I buy low cost (cheap) stuff, but $250 is the minimum for a good rain suit.

Ralph Sims