Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Metzeler Question

I too gave up on the Z6s because of the rear tire tread wear indicator "issue". I switched to Pilot Roads and now Pilot Road 2s. I have no plans to switch back.
    Mark
    2006 R1200RT

Yeah, I tried Pilot Roads and Conti Road Attacks but I didn't like the way the Pilots handled. Other than that, they were a great tire and had a fine lifetime. The Contis were great, but I wore them out in 4800 miles and that was just too much tire changing for me.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    2007 CBR600RR & 09 V-Star
    Suzuki DR 350

I used to use the Z6, but was only able to get about 6k off them, and do agree with the consensuses that the last tread wears off fast. I went to the ME880 and have been very impressed with the 12k+ wear.
    Scott Wynter
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    1971 R75/5 SWB, 2000 R1100R
    BMWMOA, Central Cal, IBA, MFS Ridercoach, ECV.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboRider View Post
    Know your ride; know your tire; know your needs and you will be fine on any proper tire.
    I'm no expert here, but I've heard many a guru comment that if you're talking about proper tires, one must consider

the bike
    The rider-how they ride (aggressive, moderate, or cautiously)
    weight (a day ride through the twisties, or loaded up for a long trip)

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of any off the top of my head.

As RoboRider indicated, tires have pluses and minuses. And, it's best to find the tire that fits your riding style not the rider next to you.

As such, I think that when a person posts about a tires pluses and minuses, they should also be commenting on they ride/used the tire.

Just my $0.02
    Jeff in W.C.
    1988 R100 RT (the other woman)
    "I got my motorcycle jacket but I'm walking all the time." Joe Strummer

I'm a lightweight in mileage compared to some of you guys, but I've had good luck with the Z6 last year and got about 8000 miles on the current set without hitting the wear bars on the rear yet. Just ordered a set of Z6 Interact to try. We'll see how it goes!

I've read on another forum it's a good idea to keep the tire pressures a little higher for better life out of the tire on the RT. I tend to ride solo with the two-up pressures on mine. Then bump that a little more when two-up with luggage.
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt

roadsmart, Dunlop tires

Anyone have success with these tires? What of traction and wear have you experienced?

Only about 600 miles thus far. They have impressed me as I had them installed and had to ride home in the rain! Not a hint of traction problems, but I was taking it very easy, too. Took off for a two-up trip loaded and they seemed very stable there, too. We'll see how they wear.
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt

The z6 is an interesting tire in the rain when you consider the rear tire is a slick in the middle. A slick is not good in the rain. It was explained to me that the front tire tread is made to clear a path of dry pavement long enough for the rear slick to pass through. When turning, the rear tire tread comes into contact with the road. BS? I don't know but the Z6 is an excellent wet surface (and dry) tire so it works for me.

It was also explained that you should not put a non Z6 front on with a Z6 rear as the rear depends on the front pattern to do this work.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

beemergrl
    Well, I literally got on the computer to order some Z6's and came to check out the forum news first for the day. Glad I read this thread. Now....I am not sure what to do. I have been pondering for about 2 months and was going to buy my tires today...but now I am back at square one. Guess I will research the michelins now. Who knows!!!!! Also debating on where to buy them. Where does everyone buy their tires.?????

Quote Originally Posted by beemergrl View Post
    Well, I literally got on the computer to order some Z6's and came to check out the forum news first for the day. Glad I read this thread. Now....I am not sure what to do. I have been pondering for about 2 months and was going to buy my tires today...but now I am back at square one. Guess I will research the michelins now. Who knows!!!!! Also debating on where to buy them. Where does everyone buy their tires.?????
    What did you read here that makes you hesitate to buy the Z6's?
    Greg Feeler
    BMW MOA Director & Ambassador
    1972 R75/5, 1990 K75, 1990 K1, 1992 K75S, 2003 K1200RS

Quote Originally Posted by beemergrl View Post
    I get my non track tires from Motorcycle superstore.com. They are always sending me a coupon code usually for $20 and they ship free, no tax. There are other places as well but I stick with them. If you order from them, google "motorcycle superstore coupon" and you'll find a code, or PM me for a code.

Choose your tire by how you ride. If you are very aggressive, and corner very hard and low, the Z6 is a great tire, as is the Conti Road Attack--but both will not give high mileage. The Metz 880 or the Pilot Roads will work fine if you are not super aggressive in your corners and you'll get longer life. I have not tried Bridgestones or Avons, but some like them. I stick with the Z6 because it has never failed to hold the road in bad situations. I misjudged a corner and had to push hard and lean hard, didn't have time to slide off the seat. I drug the foot peg and made the corner OK. Then it was time to change my shorts!

Z6 is an awesome tire.

Robo
    Last edited by RoboRider; 04-12-2010 at 04:54 PM.
    Rob C. , Raleigh, NC
    '10 R12RT, R90/6
    Suzuki DR 350

BOBSST
    Link to previous thread on Metzlers

http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthre...ghlight=BobsST

Quote Originally Posted by 38881 View Post
    Anyone have success with these tires? What of traction and wear have you experienced?
    I am currently running the Roadsmarts on my Ducati ST3, after wearing out a set of Z6's. I was also confused by the lack of wear indicators on the Z6's. I wish I had discovered those "hidden" wear indicators before the cords started to show! Mileage was just 5,000. I now have just over 5K on the Roadsmarts with maybe 1-2K left. My riding is 30/70 highway to twisty plus I have 2 trackdays on the tires as well. The Roadsmarts have performed exceptionally well for me. Wet, dry, hot, cold, highway droning, twisty carving, rough roads, smooth roads and at the track, these tires just plain work!! Never any drama and always predictable. Plus they are cheaper than Z6's or PR2's. I can't think of any negatives.

I will definitely use them again.

Rick G
    2004 BMW R 1150 GS - My Big Black Pig!
    2009 Triumph T100 - Neo Classic Retro Tourer.
    2009 Vespa GTS 250 Super - Just for Kicks and Giggles
    2009 Sym Fiddle II - For Sale

Want to try something different?

I got tired of wearing out Z6 and ME880's and thought I would try this tire:

Name:  Shinko rear.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  9.8 KB

Shink0 006 Podium (rear)

Its about half the price of a Metzler and I am impressed. Spend a day in wet twisties (Georgia Mountain regatta) and it felt sure footed. In the dry it is quiet and smooth. It is available for my K bike which is a fairly unusual size. Cannot comment in longevity yet, but shows no sign of wear after 2K miles.
    One glitch - it took a fair amount of weight to balance - about 50 grams
    Last edited by rmarkr; 05-11-2009 at 02:12 PM. Reason: Name
    Mark

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most" Mark Twain

Roadtec Z6 Interact 10,000 mile report

I know, can you say "Holy thread resurrection, Batman!"

10,000 miles with the Metzeler Roadtec Z6 Interacts on the R1150RT.

First off, I'm happy to have gotten to 10,000 miles with them!

Performance wise I'm not displeased. I do notice that they are slippery when going over painted lines on the road or tar snakes (as compared to the Z6's in the past) when it's wet.

I'm getting ready to buy new tires b/c both of them are getting close to the wear bars. I find it's easier to keep tabs on them when marked with a wax pencil. (see pics below)

Front

Rear
    Dallas
    2011 R1200GS Adventure
    Smoke Grey Metallic Matt