Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GPS - I never thought I would ask.

scqtt
    Love my Zumo.

Great to plan trips (long or just a few hours) on a big screen computer monitor and then dump them into the Zumo.

i was one of those people who like you did not need a GPS, i really did enjoy using my maps. approx a month ago i bought a Garmin Zumo 550 and it really has opened my eyes to a new way of riding. first off Garmin puts together a very nice package with the 550 which includes everything you need for your bike as well as your car, and if your an AMA member you even get a discount. the unit itself comes right off the bike in 2 sec leaving just the mount attached. using the free Garmin mapping software called roadtrip for us Mac users, i can create a route and easily load it into the GPS unit. with voice prompts i no longer miss turns because i was was looking at the road instead of my map. the only thing that is not included with the 550 package is an GXM30 antenna for XM radio. i really did not think i would use the XM radio and was quite happy loading all my MP3's on a SD card to listen to when riding but i found a refurb antenna on ebay so thought i would give it a try. cyclegagets makes a terrific mount for the antenna that attaches to the GPS cradle eliminating the need to try and find a good place to mount the antenna. i can not begin to tell you how much i enjoy listening the XM radio while riding. i am a long time Grateful Dead fan and channel 57 is a dedicated 24/7 Dead station. all those long boring jams i would not listen to at home become perfect riding music for me. there are several other dedicated channels for other artists as well as a wide range of programing available. i am so happy with my GPS/XM radio combo it is clearly some of the best money i have ever spent and it allows me to ride longer & happier then ever before. for everything you ever wanted to know about the Garmin zumo 450/550/660 follow this link http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum to read all the forums you will have to register but trust me, it is well worth it. one final note, a good pair of earphones like my Etymotic ER6i are not only very comfortable but the sound quality is fantastic. once there in my ears i do not feel them at all and i can ride all day without discomfort.

Quote Originally Posted by BexBmr View Post
    I did some research on the 2720. I see that they have been discontinued by Garmin. I'm assuming that it was replaced by the Zumo? Since it was discontinued is there a chance that it will be obsolete due to new technology? I'm not a techie so I'm not sure if there is a drawback to the older models....
    Obsolete? No.. the maps can be updated for about $80, so you'll be using the same maps as the newest Garmin.

Features are what changes, and having owned a 2720, (still own it actually - it's in my car..) I had several complaints using it on a bike. It isn't glove friendly. The zoom in/out is done on-screen, and with gloves on it's really an iffy proposition. The BMW Navigator-III is much the same unit, with a cradle that incorporates 4 extra buttons - including zoom buttons. Makes things much safer since you're not distracted. Both the 2720 and Nav-III tend to wash out with the sun directly behind you. Dunno if the Zumo is better in that regard.

For the price the 2720's are going on the web (less than $150) - it's basically a throw-away, if you don't like it - give it to someone for use in their car, or keep it for your car. It does not have BlueTooth, so getting voice into your helmet requires you to be tethered to the bike with a wire. Done right it's not a big deal, but I much prefer the freedom BlueTooth gives me with the Navigator-III.

I don't do music or radio when riding - so those features aren't needed for me.

Back to your question - obsolete? I usually buy the last generation technology and figure if I get 3-4 years out of it, it's paid for itself. I'll then move it on down the chain (either someone in the family gets it, or I'll sell it cheap on the fleamarket.) That means I'll be looking at Zumo 550's when the 660's start shipping.
    Don Eilenberger http://www.eilenberger.net
    Spring Lk Heights NJ NJ Shore BMW Riders New Sweden BMW Riders
    '07 R1200R (current ride) and some bimmers.. and a Porsche

I am NOT;

"Routing" my day is not me and thats that. I travel with my m/c frequently all over N.America and a gps is a gadget, with really nice features, but another gadget to consume time. HOWEVER, I own one and its the Garmin 76cs and its mounted to my R100/7, replaceing the worthless speedo/tach on those bikes. Works perfectly and I use it mostly as a speedo/odometer only. Very little map use. My windscreen mounted "compass" has served me nearly as well, finding my way, without searching the gps data alongside the roadway. I know one thing is certain, the gps will not always use the most efficient routing and I have been with riders using theirs(numerous times), going all over creation finding our way, when the "target" was just a simple turn up a freeway. Routed right through a city the last time, red lights and all. Not always a good thing. Randy PS; My Garmin 76cs was my sailboat gps and saved my hide more than once in the sea, finding port entrys, fog etc....

RK Ryder
    Quote Originally Posted by BexBmr View Post
    I did some research on the 2720. I see that they have been discontinued by Garmin. I'm assuming that it was replaced by the Zumo? Since it was discontinued is there a chance that it will be obsolete due to new technology? I'm not a techie so I'm not sure if there is a drawback to the older models....
    It has been my experience (twice) when buying a refurbished, dated Garmin unit, Garmin will give you the most recent map update for the unit. Just ask.
    Paul
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Treasurer of the Forest City Motorrad Club #159
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Gopheride

Gps

Following good advice given so far,determine what you want your GPS to accomplish. some units have NA maps preloaded.No fussing with computer. You can use it to monitor your speed in MPH in the US likewise in KPH in Canada.(may save a speeding ticket) You can have waterproof if its mostly on the bike. I like to see elevation while riding in the mountains. I use an earbud for voice directions in unfamiliar traffic without taking my eyes away from traffic. It can be hardwired or battery ( my battery is 18 hrs).It is also used in the car. It is small enough to be carried in a pocket. It sits in a ram mount.

I also use a new unit in a tank bag. Touch screen is easy to operate BUT glancing down to read the unit takes eyes off the road and is very dangerous IMHO. battery on this unit is only 4hrs..
    Also,if you are far from home and breakdown,a GPS will provide precise co-ordinates for help.

I've had GPS for 3 yrs now and it has improved my riding pleasure. My 2 cents worth.

Greetings,

The most universally accepted and easy to use GPS devices are made by Garmin. When you are chatting at a rally about how to get your GPS to work, chances are everyone will be talking about either a 2610,2720,2820 or Zumo in various flavors.

There are also the x76 units which have better screens but as marine units they have too many buttons. I consider them unsafe for MC use.

The only way to build a turn for turn route on your PC and follow it to the foot on your GPS is to use the unit software to build your route, with Garmin this is Mapsource.

What I prefer is to build a waypoint file in my mapping software of choice (Street Atlas) and then download it directly to the GPS.

I will then navigate waypoint to waypoint or build a quick route in the GPS. I will download routes from SA but to work I allow the unit to recalculate.

I like the 2820 which are selling for $245 although with no internal battery it might be tough on an airhead as I like to leave the unit on all day. Next choice would be a zumo 550.

One of the best uses for the GPS is calculate shortest. This is usually the twisty way.

Douglas Williams

GPS Vendor

http://getfeetwet.com/
    I have a Garmin Streetpilot 2820 enroute from these folks for my R100RS along with a mounting kit plus shipping for $ 264. They have other models, new and refurbished, for less than that. My order is for a refurbished model listed for $ 215. The motorcycle mounting kit includes a separate power cable. I selected the 2820 for its motorcycle friendly features and bluetooth. It still has Garmin support. Hope this helps.