Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Dyna Beads?

Yes, Dyna Beads work and I just participated in a group buy on Advrider for a bargain @ $1 per ounce + actual postage. It takes 2 oz rear & 1 oz front.I guess the biggest hassle I can think of is collecting them from a tire change, but I haven't done that so far(some do with a piece of plastic underneath) and just give them up in a change. I have used them for a good while and my experience is that they work great, just rolling around down there and no worries that they will come unstuck and POLLUTE THE ENVIRONMENT! That is a larger part of the issue with wheel weights that has not been mentioned here, so I'll say it again. Google "lead wheel weights" or something to that effect and you will see that it is an area of concern far larger than this mans possibly bent rim!Some states have laws and some car companies(Subaru is one I remember) are progressive in the direction of no lead weights.It is amazing how many #'s of lead (if you read for a few minutes you will see the estimates) goes into our world via the streets and weight fall offs. Who hasn't seen the weights laying about here and there on pavement?
    Back to the thread-it is a no brainer that no ceramic bead is going to rectify a bent rim, however the beads do work and are not a "hassle to install" as previously stated. I have also read that many use the soft air gun pellets to the same effect for even less $. #1-The environment is a winner#2- you don't need someone else's or your own tire balancer and #3-they work great! and#4-are not expensive from any source if you take in the whole picture!

Quote Originally Posted by krpreston View Post
    I first put Dyna Beads in my Airhead last year and I swear they make a difference. It kicks in at about 30 mph and the bike just smooths out.

JD: I reads your posts a couple of time trying to figure out where the hell you're coming from. You seem to admit that as you are travelling down the road the axle IS moving horizontally relative to the earth and is oscillating VERTICALLY due to road variations, but you repeat over and over your axle does not move! Of course it's moving. As for the statement that your bike does not have a rear axle, how could it rotate otherwise? The axle is in the final drive housing.
    SIBUD has it correct - the axle doesn't rotate. It also doesn't flex like the "axle" in that youtube video. There is movement up and down which the suspension allows, but the axle itself does not move (rotate, shift side to side, or flex).

I realize the FD housing acts as the "axle", however, if you go back and re-read my response and the highlighted part in the post I was replying to which said:

"The beads react to the complex motion of an out of balance wheel in a system where the axle is NOT fixed. They will not work on a spin balancer (or in the rear of a hard-tail bike, I think) as the axle in those systems doesn't have the necessary freedom to move. "

However, my axle IS "fixed". As I said about the youtube video, that had a flexible shaft for the axle. my axle does NOT move in that way.

As for the "spin balancers" not being able to detect them working, I still say that's totally false. MotorradMike is correct that the spin balancers measure force - in the form of vibration. That's why I can't go with the manufacturers description as to why they won't work. If the beads balance my tire/wheel with my hard-mounted non-flexible axle on the bike (canceling out vibration), then there is no excuse for them to not cancel out the vibrations that would be detected by a dynamic balancing machine.

Head is Starting to Hurt

Is there a physics professor in the house? Any available physicist to the white courtesy phone please!
    Kevin Huddy
    Intrepid Incompetent
    Tm Pterodactyl MT Outpost

JD:

I think I see where we're getting stuck.
    I think it's about whether the axle spins or not. It makes no difference. The axle in our bikes is locked by fork bolts and the wheel spins on bearings around it. If the bearings were mounted in the forks and the wheel clamped to the axle then the axle would spin in the bearings.
    This makes no difference to the out-of-balance wheel.

What we mean by 'free' is the freedom of motion you see when you rock the bike back and forth on the centerstand. Both axles are free to move away from and toward the floor.

If you tried to move a spin balancer axle away from the floor, say with a floor jack, it wouldn't move until you broke something.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F

Quote Originally Posted by jdmetzger View Post
    I realize the FD housing acts as the "axle", however, if you go back and re-read my response and the highlighted part in the post I was replying to which said:

"The beads react to the complex motion of an out of balance wheel in a system where the axle is NOT fixed. They will not work on a spin balancer (or in the rear of a hard-tail bike, I think) as the axle in those systems doesn't have the necessary freedom to move. "
    And I expanded upon that in a subsequent post. Replace "axle" with "axis of a rotating wheel" for a more correct statement.

I think part of the problem is the use of the terms "tire balancing" and "wheel balancing" with respect to beads. Beads do neither. What they can do is balance out suspension effects caused by an out-of-balance tire/wheel. However, I haven't a clue as to how effective they are at doing so.

// marc

I use Dyna beads but won't get into the "do they work" argument. I just want to pass along a tip for installing the beads: Get a longer hose than what comes with the installation tool. Seriously, make your own about two feet or longer. You can find the right size at any hardware store. As the beads roll down the longer hose they seperate and roll into the valve stem much easier than with the short little hose provided. Just tap on the hose as the beads roll down.

ABE456
    I started using dyna beads a year ago becuase the loacl m/c dealer didnt have & wouldnt buy the necessary bmw adapters. Nearest BMW dealer 120 miles away.

Been using the beads on a 95 airhead and 99 oilhead. No balancing issues at all. Prolly not the right solution for everyone, if I lived closer to a good dealer or had the tools I wouldnt bother with the beads.

Even if you lived next door to the dealer it is still easier to lay on a creeper and tap a plastic tube with a screwdriver tip while the little beads roll in-Rich above has it right!- and drink a cold one! Plus, you don't have to sit around at the dealer dependent on their schedule and throwing your money at the issue. Plus, as I previously stated they don't come off AND they give you a great balance-something that can be up for grabs when someone else is sticking on weights-PLUS and this is a PLUS, as a tire wears the stickons become no longer "spot on" the balance needs of the tire, whereas with the beads down in there you are going to remain in constant balance even into the latter part of the tires life. Now top that!?

Bob
    Just curious; have any of you tried just mounting a rear tire using the alignment marks and riding on it?

Unfunded content provider tommcgee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    Just curious; have any of you tried just mounting a rear tire using the alignment marks and riding on it?
    I have. Put well over 15k miles on a Tourance that was mounted without balancing.
    Salty Fog Rally 2007, 2009, 2011, 2012, AND LOOKING FORWARD TO 2014!

-Tom (KA1TOX)

In another life I was a mechanic in a Goodyear factory and one set of machines that I worked on was the one that checked the balance of the tires and it dropped the colored wax spots as they went through and then routed them into various lines- OEM, retail, etc.. Given the fact that tires are handmade and have some variances, it is possible to buy a tire , balance your rim against the tires balance point, via tire rotation and achieve somewhat perfect balance. All depends on what you had to start with and that is subject to variance. This is not a new idea. Goodyear used "tire boots" stuck inside the tire in the 60's and the 70's to balance the tires they sold to Ford because they were not allowed to grind those tires into conformity, as were the rest.
    So, you can try that tire rotation thing, or buy lead weights and hope they stay on and are in the right position, and hope the tire wears in a perfectly round and uniform way and pay or do the work yourself or you can dump in the magic ceramic beads (or air gun soft pellets)and hope the physics are there!

Bob
    I asked because another rider and I discussed this over lunch the other day, and we both were riding on "unbalanced" rear tires. I've been doing it since my first tire change on my ST, I'm on my third now and have never felt a difference. New rims and tires are so well made and balanced that two of the three front tires I've had balanced didn't need any weight added, one of them just needed a shift on the rim, the other didn't.
    Given my bike's voracious appetite for tires, I can attest that this is not a one-time fluke.

Quote Originally Posted by 108625 View Post
    Actually, worse.

For years I changed my own tube tires on the Honda 350 and the Yamaha and didn't know about the mark. I never tried to balance them and never noticed a problem until I changed the front for the last time on the Yamaha. I JUST checked it now and see that the mark is almost 180 away from the valve stem. I suspect that tire/wheel assembly would've been OK had I known about the mark. As I recall, it shakes around 65MPH.
    Mike Marr
    1978 Yamaha XS750 (Needs rings), 1996 BMW R1100RS, 2004 Honda CRF230F