Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: You have a friend in Lima for the 2005 Rally...

Thumbs down Woulg Like the Help

Hey, Mike

Howard Snider and I are going to be the Chairpersons for Hospitality for the rally. I live in Findlay and work in Lima. Hospitality is about helping all to have a great time and as you have indicated in some of your posts find the neat places in and around the rally.

We met with Sue Manke at the fair grounds this past Saturday and she has a GREAT TIME planned for all. Howard and I have several others like yourself you are not exactly BMW MOA members but they are enthusiastic about the area and know much. Would you be agreeable to meeting with Howard and I and some others to scope out a plan to show the "Nay Sayers" what a great riding time can be had in the Ohio area.

If you would be interested please advise. You can call me at my office in Lima at 419 996 4841.

Fred Turner:

Sure!
    Sounds good to me. If I haven't been able to reach you, you can also call me at 419-331-3699 ext 112

Mike,

(member #114620!)

p.s. I haven't seen much naysaying....what is the gist of it?

Way I look at it, 90% of the attraction is the rally itself anyway; plus, the location should help more people attend, given the #'s that live within an easy days drive.

Re: Public thanks!

Originally posted by mdcruiser
    Mike, I justs wanted to write publicly what I've emailed you privately: thanks so much for helping all of us out.

This will be my first MOA rallye, and I'm looking forward to wonderful Ohio "blue highways" (I always try to avoid slabs) coming from Western Maryland, from which I'll be entering West Virginia and then Ohio. Mike has promised to send these scenic suggestions to me -- but as has just been suggested, Mike, you might want to send them to the whole list for all who are similarly situated.

Thanks again, buddy!
    You bet! I haven't forgotten!! I've travelled most of the routes, as have others on the forum, so we'll get some good routes together before long.

MBB

Encumbered by employment BouncinBob's Avatar

routes and site

I was coming back from work related stuff in Columbus Indiana Thursday, headed to my east of Cleveland OH home. I was enjoying some nasty straight but peaceful and scenic back roads. Then it dawned on me, I could stop in and check out the Lima site. So I jumped on the slab, 70 east to 75 north. I sure hope they are done with the construction there in time for the rally. I had a few cars try to take my front tire off diving for an off ramp.

We need scenic routes in. Coming in from 75 does not put one in a tranquil state of mind. But there are plenty of back roads in that will. Sue will need articles for the MOA magazine, scenic routes / suggested routes to the rally can take up much of an issue. Glad you locals are volunteering to help at the rally, in planning and to write some articles.

Dibs on camping by the pond under the trees.

Bob Malehorn
    Volunteer Committee Chair
    05' Lima
    Bouncin Bob Malehorn
    Treasurer - BMWMOA
    Mentor OH
    98 K12RS RIP
    02 K12RS
    03 R1150R Hers
    69 H1

"Dibs on camping by the pond under the trees"

A pond, this place has a pond! Shades of the DuQuoin Rally site. Ambassador Manley will remember, I'm sure.....

Mac
    Mac
    1986 R80RT, 2005 R1200GS
    Livin' Large On The Lake

Thumbs up Got you Voice Mail

Mike I recieved your voice mail last week. Thanks for the quick reply.

I have been out of town to several locations and did not have the time to stop and discuss the subject with you.

I will call you this coming week and discuss how we can present all the stuff to do in the area.

Thanks again

Fred Turner

Re: Public thanks!

Originally posted by mdcruiser
    Mike, I justs wanted to write publicly what I've emailed you privately: thanks so much for helping all of us out.

This will be my first MOA rallye, and I'm looking forward to wonderful Ohio "blue highways" (I always try to avoid slabs) coming from Western Maryland, from which I'll be entering West Virginia and then Ohio. Mike has promised to send these scenic suggestions to me -- but as has just been suggested, Mike, you might want to send them to the whole list for all who are similarly situated.

Thanks again, buddy!
    It depends upon where/how you want to enter Ohio, and how direct/indirect of a route you want. Lots of SE and S Ohio routes are fun............the large Detroit-based auto mags have used southern Ohio for years to do road tests, loving the terrain and road quality.
    Anyway, for you, how about Route 50, then north on Route 16, (before Parkersburg), across the Ohio River to the river road, Route 7, to Marietta. Just out of Marietta, pick up scenic route 60 to scenic route 83. Take 83 all the way route 36 at Coshocton, 36 is another great ride. Take 36 west to Mt. Vernon, take 13 to north to 95, 95 west to Marion, at Marion take 309 all the way right to the Rally site!!! There are several diversions/alternates you could make. You are coming in one of the best ways for nice roads. I cam also recommend 550 out of Marietta. Take 550 to scenic route 13, just outside of Athens. Take 13 north
    (p.s. at this juncture you could also take route 56 all the way from Athens to up near Urbana, Ohio; this is the hypotenuse; used to take it all the time, still rural but not quite as scenic; at Urbana, take 68 north to 117, then 117 to the Rally site; not a bad route all and all; if you take 56, consider stopping at Old Mans Cave, or one of the several state parks right around there) through Newark and on to Mt. Vernon, then pick up the directions above from Mt. Vernon to Lima.
    I have been on all of these roads at one time or another; fun routes. Wish I had an immediate excuse to go travel some of these again!!

Let me know how you liked it, lucky dog!!!

Ol salt

Rides to 2005 Rally

Let me help Mike out some on the routes:

I recently purchased a set of DVD's entitled " Ohio Ride Guide" for $30.00 from :
    http://www.ohiorideguide.com/

I have watched it and made copius notes so I can route you thru
    roads with sweeping turns; twistys; hills; State parks; and good rest stops with great food on some of them.

Unfortunately most of these routes are from the East, or South.

Pa: Between cities of Erie to Wheeling W.Va
    W.VA any city between Weirton and Huntington.
    KY. any city between Maysville and Ashland.

I have put these on an Ohio map so pm me with city entering from and I can route you if the response isn't overwhelming. or you can purchase guide and route yourself at your leisure.

Coming from Indiana or Michigan, I would like to call on some riders from there for assistance as the roads on our side of the state line are pretty straight and flat with some exceptions

Will help as much as possible but I also have to prep for the rally.

Thanks for listening

Rides to the RALLY - Need Articles

Hey, Friends!

Let's get some of these routes down in writing, to share with the main membership. If you are reading this, then you are part of a small group of interested BMW riders. We need to move this information out to the main web page and the magazine --- and that's where you come in.

Please email me with your articles or ride ideas. As the rally chairman, it is my job to be sure to get the word out to everyone!

Thanks everyone.

Sue
    mailto:sue@beemerhill.com
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

Time to jump this thread back up a bit! Anyway, with the time I have available, I am still available for your more difficult questions for the Rally; i.e. where can I find a vintage book seller in Lima.................!
    If it's in the area, I know where it is. During the rally, I am available via phone at 419-331-3699 ext 112 or cell 419-234-4155 for the REALLY off the wall info requests.....................
    Did I mention that the week is going to SMOKE, musically speaking, at the Rally?

Slowpoke & Proud of It! BRADFORDBENN's Avatar
    Can we get a map and recommendations of the local liquor stores?

Also a list of good non chain restaurants would be cool...
    -=Brad

It isn't what you ride, it is if you ride

Ol salt
    Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn

Will have that information available to all. Incidently State liquor store is within walking distance. Make you happy? lol

We are trying to have a menu from all restaurants available at hospitality area for all to peruse at your leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by BradfordBenn

They'll have that there, but two of my recommends are
    The Bistro on Main (2nd block south of the Square); higher end fare

Burgundys, on Cable Road, very consistent, good quality and price, good atmosphere for fun at the bar.

Head north on 75 to Findlay for Japan West if you like good sushi, etc.

West North Street in Lima has Mark Pi's dine-in (not like the drive-thrus) for good Chinese.

The Kewepe is a must for a hamburger. Go to the original one downtown across from the municipal parking garage, on Elizabeth St.

The Meeting Place on Market St. has good coffees and lunches.

Best Pizza; Fat Jacks, 3 locations.

Looking for a hole in the wall, let me know!

Routes

Hey Mike,

I lived in Lima for a couple of years in the mid-60s and haven't been back since. I bought my first BMW, a 1966 R50, when I lived there but I got it from a wonderful guy named Bob Beasley? who had a dealership in Camden, Ohio that he operated out of his barn. Anyway, I'll be coming over from Baltimore and the routes you suggested are the ones I had decided I'll probably take. The rides around Lima are not great by hill country standards but getting there from the east are great.

I corresponded with another guy from Lima off this forum who has restored a couple of vintage BMWs. I have his name and email at home. Do you know him?

Thanks for all you help and I hope to meet you there.

LR

Quote Originally Posted by Long Rider
    Hey Mike,

I corresponded with another guy from Lima off this forum who has restored a couple of vintage BMWs. I have his name and email at home. Do you know him?

Thanks for all you help and I hope to meet you there.

LR
    Send me his name/email, eh?

Look for me in the evenings, around the Beer Garden stage area!