Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: You have a friend in Lima for the 2005 Rally...

Originally posted by AltheBiker
    Are there restaurants within walking distance and bars within crawling distance of the fairgrounds?
    Yes --- and --- Yes
    Sue Rihn #43753
    BMW MOA Ambassador
    It's Billings in 2015! #BeTheAdventure
    Sometimes it's the bend in the road that makes life worth the ride.

What hotels are nearest the campground?

What are the nearest hotels near the campground and which one would you suggest I stay at.

I like a nice pool (whirlpool is good too!) and restaurants within walking distance.

THANKS!

The Hampton is all booked up for the Rally, so perhaps the Holidome would be the next best choice. The Wingate downtown (5 minutes from Rally site) has jacuzzi suites for reasonable $.

MBB

Ol salt

Holiday Inn/ Holidome

The Holidome has an indoor pool and a whirlpool in the same area. At Sue's negotiated price of $79. 00 a night this is your best bet. Also within 1 mile of fairgrounds.

Ol salt

Motels to avoid

The only places I would avoid like the plague for various reasons are The Royal Inn, The Imperial Inn, and Colonial Motel. All located in city of Lima.

USERNAME

Re: Motels to avoid

Originally posted by Ol'Salt
    The only places I would avoid like the plague for various reasons are The Royal Inn, The Imperial Inn, and Colonial Motel. All located in city of Lima.
    what are you, some sort of sovereign-democracy enthusiast?

Re: Re: Motels to avoid

Originally posted by username
    what are you, some sort of sovereign-democracy enthusiast?
    Har!
    See me for a beer at the 05 rally.
    You sound like my kinda person!

Wooohoooo!!!!
    It's official; after 22 years I am a BMWMOA member again!!!

Mike,
    Would you tell us why you would avoid these motels?
    Thanks,
    Wade
    You wrote: The only places I would avoid like the plague for various reasons are The Royal Inn, The Imperial Inn, and Colonial Motel. All located in city of Lima.

Originally posted by punchw
    Mike,
    Would you tell us why you would avoid these motels?
    Thanks,
    Wade
    You wrote: The only places I would avoid like the plague for various reasons are The Royal Inn, The Imperial Inn, and Colonial Motel. All located in city of Lima.
    That wasn't my post, but I concur. They are "fleabag" variety hotels, with a transient crowd.

USERNAME
    Originally posted by Mike_In_Lima
    That wasn't my post, but I concur. They are "fleabag" variety hotels, with a transient crowd.
    sounds like they have plenty of grass though. i wonder if they have an acre...

2006 K1200GT, 1986 K100 merrittgene's Avatar
    Hey Mike, thanks for being our "insider"!

I was thinking you might save yourself the hassle of answering the same questions over and over if you put together some kind of list and posted it.

For example, I think everyone wants to know the top places to eat, drink, sleep, shop, ride, visit, see, etc. We would also like to know the places to *avoid*.

Personally, when I travel, I look for the hidden gems...the greasy spoon diner, and the hole-in-the-wall bar...you know, the places the locals go.

Thanks again!
    Gene Merritt - Ames, IA - BMWMOA#111610 - IBA#21886 - Rounder #26 - Webmeister, Bahnsturmers
    ---- 1986 K100 ---- 2006 K1200GT ---- 2001 F650GSD ----

leave my monkey alone LORAZEPAM's Avatar
    Gene, I dont think you will find too many bars in Lima that aren't local bars. it isnt like Lima has a Hard Rick cafe, or other touristy trendy bars.
    Gale Smith
    2009 Versys
    1999 R1100RT

Originally posted by merrittgene
    Hey Mike, thanks for being our "insider"!

I was thinking you might save yourself the hassle of answering the same questions over and over if you put together some kind of list and posted it.

For example, I think everyone wants to know the top places to eat, drink, sleep, shop, ride, visit, see, etc. We would also like to know the places to *avoid*.

Personally, when I travel, I look for the hidden gems...the greasy spoon diner, and the hole-in-the-wall bar...you know, the places the locals go.

Thanks again!
    I'll be working on that down the road; for the most part, though, I would suggest that what looks like is going to go on inside the Rally will be more interesting than most of the outside diversions. I know they are planning on a good lineup of live music during the evenings, for example.
    Nonetheless, I will probably start a thread down the road such as you suggested, answering some common questions, etc.

MBB

Public thanks!

Mike, I justs wanted to write publicly what I've emailed you privately: thanks so much for helping all of us out.

This will be my first MOA rallye, and I'm looking forward to wonderful Ohio "blue highways" (I always try to avoid slabs) coming from Western Maryland, from which I'll be entering West Virginia and then Ohio. Mike has promised to send these scenic suggestions to me -- but as has just been suggested, Mike, you might want to send them to the whole list for all who are similarly situated.

Thanks again, buddy!