Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tank Bags

Pusser's Pyrate Society Zygmund's Avatar

Tank Bags

'02 RT and I have a BMW tank bag but I'm looking for a new one. Let's hear what we have out there and what you like or dislike.

tank bags

You won't go wrong w/ Linda T and her custom bags. She will make you whatever you want and in whatever color you are interested! She has many 'stock' bags and you add what is important to them. I have one for my 07 RT and it is the berries. I overspent and got too many pockets, but that's me. She is very accessible and will talk w/ you re: your thoughts and maybes. Give her a shout and tell he I sent you. [No affiliation, just a satisfied customer. ]

http://www.customtankbags.com/
    peterb www.ppldma.com

'07 R1200 RT - LD ride w/ >145+K mi
    '00 1150GS w/ >165+K miles and more to come...

Thanks for the response, I was beginning to wonder if anybody uses them or if that is a subject that everyone avoids.

Smile

Many good bags out there, but I use and like the SW Motech system (attachment ring around gas filler).

They are available thru certain BMW dealers (Nicks BMW - DePere, WI) or thru:

www.twistedthrottle.com

Good Luck!
    Kevin Greenwald - Touring Tips Editor
    Nationally Certified Law Enforcement Motor Officer (Ret.) / IBA Member #34281
    MSF RiderCoach # 121656 (BRC,SBRC,IS,IME,SMARTrainer)
    Motorcycle/Driving Instructor - ROAD AMERICA Race Track

Oxfort Sports bag, magnetic, sits on my plastic tank without ever shifting, held in place by a strap around the steering head, 4 years old, looks new, will occasionally reset my ESA for me, but I can live with that for the peanuts the bags cost...check ebay regularly. Expandable, convertible to a usable day pack, come in several colors. I believe they're discontinued, but just set up an ebay saved search for Oxford Tank Bag and within a week or so you'll find one.

Greenwald, this is the one bag system that I have been looking close at and like the quick connect feature.
    Thanks!

Marsee makes a Q/D mounting system, too.
    I have one on the way(arrives Monday) and I'll post up about it once I get it on.
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel". '05 Yellow KLR 650
    '00 Red Suzuki Bandit 600
    '65 Allstate/Puch 250 twingle
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

nevada72
    I have the Cortech Tourmaster mid-size magnetic tankbag.

I like it so far. Map pocket works well and the bag detaches quickly and carries easily (nice handle) to carry in the gas station or restaurant when traveling.

I've been using the Big Mak tank from www.cyclegadgets.com for several years and like it. I have two, a smaller one and a large one for traveling. The accessories like the gas reciept holder and bottle holder work well. No hassles when gassing up , just lift and pump. so easy..
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The thing about traveling is, you never want it to end and you can't wait to get home.
    I answer to Roy, Chief, or Sarg.
    04 R-1150-RT current bike. 94 R-1100-RS74,383, Sold, 78 R-80/7, K.I.A by a D.U.I
    www.OceanStateBMWriders.com

bluestrada

Tank Bags and more

I have had great luck with the variety of bags from Wolfman in Colorado. Used them on my GS/PD, Cagiva Gran Canyon and now on DL 1000 V Strom. Great quality. Eric is a long time rider himself and makes stuff that works. In fact he makes custom liners I believe for Moto Sport Panniers luggage and their Dirt Bagz. Those are bulletproof I know.
    Availabe at www.motogearoutlet.com in a day or so..
    Peace for this Christmas Season.j.. and great rides in 09
    Bill Kniegge
    www.bluestradatours.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff488 View Post
    Marsee makes a Q/D mounting system, too.
    I have one on the way(arrives Monday) and I'll post up about it once I get it on.
    Well, I got it and the Marsee 15L Tour Rocket is too big for the '04RT. The bars hit it. Probably OK for the LT.So I got a 10 liter Pocket Rocket. Very nice and it fits. Haven't ridden a bunch with it yet, but first impression is that it's top quality and handy, too.
    By the way the 15L Tour Pocket and another 10L Cortech bag are in the Flea Market.
    '04 Silver R1150RT "Big Oel". '05 Yellow KLR 650
    '00 Red Suzuki Bandit 600
    '65 Allstate/Puch 250 twingle
    "I just want somewhere to ride and food when I get there."

Touratech Waterproof Tank Bag

I haven't seen any mention of the Touratech Waterproof Tank Bag for the R1200RT It appears to have more features while providing the custom fit of the BMW tank bag -- but it's pricier too. I looked around and couldn't it any cheaper. Any comments, likes, dislikes?

Here's a photo link:
    Texan RT | Houston | IBA
    BMW R1200RT | HD Road Glide

yrfuneralmytrial

new bag

This new FirstGear bag hits the States mid-January. I'm going to get one.

http://www.firstgear-usa.com/fgweb3....D?opendocument

Now, I have a Cortech tri-bag (very big, very good) and a smaller strap-on bag by Nelson-Rigg. I've found Nelson-Rigg's customer service to be among the bestI've ever dealt with. Good gear as well.

RKA bags are a great alternative

Wanted to open the Tank Bag post again to get more feedback and to ask if anyone has changed the foam on the bottom of a BMW tank bag. My old tank bag foam is junk and would like to fix it if possible.

'02 R1150RT